Question Ryzen 9 5950 Hot Temps

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone here can help me to see if these temps are normal? I get about 50-60c Idle, and 85-92c gaming using the Core Temp program.

I got this computer in Jan 2021, and never checked the temp prior until recently after hearing a "whistling" noise coming I think coming from the mobo where it has the words "strix" on it. I am wondering if the whistling is a result of the hot temps to the cpu or if its normal to have these temps. Here is my pc info:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x 16 cores 32 Threads
CPU Cooler: DEEP COOL Castle 360EX RGB AlO Liquid CPU Cooler
LIAN Li O11D-1X premium PCI-Ex16 3.0 Extender Riser
Motherboard: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Mobo w/ PCIe 4.0, WIFI
Ram: G Skill Trident Z Neo Series 64 GB (4x16gb) 288-Pin RGB DDR4
SSD/HDD: WD Black 2TB SN850 NVMe Inernal Gaming SSD - Gen4 PCle M.2 2280 WDS200T1X0E
GPU: ASU VCX GeForce RTX 3090 24GB Rog-Strix-RTX3090
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX 12V
Chassis: LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition Black Tempered Glass On Front and Left Side Chassis Body MidT
Additional Fans: GIM 120 MM RGB Case Fans 9x Total Fans 366 Modes with controller and remote LED
Bios Version: American Megatrends Inc 3001, 12/4/202
Bios Mode UEFl

Appreciate all the help!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
recently after hearing a "whistling" noise coming I think coming from the mobo where it has the words "strix" on it.
Many X570s came with a tiny chipset fan that the user could not control. It's likely that, and has collected some dust.
It's located in that small space above the words, 'The Choice of Champions'.

What are these?
GIM 120 MM RGB Case Fans 9x
Is GIM a prebuilt name?

Is the Castle's pump rpm set to 85% or higher? Do that if you left it on auto.
You can leave your fans' curve as they are, but the pump should be on a high, flat curve.

Probably best you take some pictures of the interior so we can see the fans and the cooler.
PLEASE, remove the glass panel before you do that. It helps with a clearer image, and avoids light, LED, and other reflections.
You must use an image hosting site, like imgur.com, to post pics.

Reactions: Michaelcortez

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Many X570s came with a tiny chipset fan that the user could not control. It's likely that, and has collected some dust.
It's located in that small space above the words, 'The Choice of Champions'.

What are these?
GIM 120 MM RGB Case Fans 9x
Is GIM a prebuilt name?

Is the Castle's pump rpm set to 85% or higher? Do that if you left it on auto.
You can leave your fans' curve as they are, but the pump should be on a high, flat curve.

Probably best you take some pictures of the interior so we can see the fans and the cooler.
PLEASE, remove the glass panel before you do that. It helps with a clearer image, and avoids light, LED, and other reflections.
You must use an image hosting site, like imgur.com, to post pics.

Thank you for your response. I am not sure how to set it to 85% or higher, I am assuming in the BIOS?

I will post the images I have hopefully they work if not I can retake some more. There should be 3 photos of each side and one of it powered on.

View: https://imgur.com/a/KRzZ9yy

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am not sure how to set it to 85% or higher, I am assuming in the BIOS?
Yes. You know what header the pump is plugged into - find the control for that header in bios and make the necessary changes.

Ok, I think I found a link to those fans - it seems to match what's in your provided images.
https://gimgaming.com/collections/r...case-fans-3-pack-120mm?variant=38052573184186
These fans are pretty weak and for cosmetic purposes only - the performance is not there, just like Corsair's QL series. Unlike the latter, I couldn't find the static pressure rating for the GIMs - it may have been omitted on purpose, or the company neglected to include it.

All in all: Airflow across the entire PC is weak because of those fans. They're focused on cosmetics. This is THE problem, IMO.
-Two layers is harder than one: A panel with a radiator against it presents higher air resistance than a panel without one. Fans have to work harder(and faster) to match the airflow of no rad present, but the GIM fans have no real muscle. Round frame fans also aren't ideal as push fans on radiators; they leave more gaps for air to blow, or rebound.

-With the fans as they're currently set up, there's only one source of fresh, cool air for your Castle 360: the grille at the back of the PC. The side fans are currently exhaust.
If the 3090's fan off mode is disabled, it can also provide some cool air to the AIO from the bottom, but when you start using the gpu, the waste heat that doesn't go out the side goes up through the cooler instead.
That causes the fluid(which is already cycling heat from the cpu) in the loop to take longer to cool down.

Are you having any temperature issues with the 3090? It does look pretty close to the glass panel. HWINFO can be used to monitor gpu core(limit: 91C), gpu hot spot(limit: 110C), and Memory Junction(limit: 105C).
Safe values? Think at least 10C lower than provided limits, but sustained; spikes do not matter as much.

Last edited:

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Yes. You know what header the pump is plugged into - find the control for that header in bios and make the necessary changes.

Ok, I think I found a link to those fans - it seems to match what's in your provided images.
https://gimgaming.com/collections/r...case-fans-3-pack-120mm?variant=38052573184186
These fans are pretty weak and for cosmetic purposes only - the performance is not there, just like Corsair's QL series. Unlike the latter, I couldn't find the static pressure rating for the GIMs - it may have been omitted on purpose, or the company neglected to include it.

All in all: Airflow across the entire PC is weak because of those fans. They're focused on cosmetics. This is THE problem, IMO.
-Two layers is harder than one: A panel with a radiator against it presents higher air resistance than a panel without one. Fans have to work harder(and faster) to match the airflow of no rad present, but the GIM fans have no real muscle. Round frame fans also aren't ideal as push fans on radiators; they leave more gaps for air to blow, or rebound.

-With the fans as they're currently set up, there's only one source of fresh, cool air for your Castle 360: the grille at the back of the PC. The side fans are currently exhaust.
If the 3090's fan off mode is disabled, it can also provide some cool air to the AIO from the bottom, but when you start using the gpu, the waste heat that doesn't go out the side goes up through the cooler instead.
That causes the fluid(which is already cycling heat from the cpu) in the loop to take longer to cool down.

Are you having any temperature issues with the 3090? It does look pretty close to the glass panel. HWINFO can be used to monitor gpu core(limit: 91C), gpu hot spot(limit: 110C), and Memory Junction(limit: 105C).
Safe values? Think at least 10C lower than provided limits, but sustained; spikes do not matter as much.

I will look into the BIOS and see what its currently set up at, I will try to find a video on how to set it up.

The GPU temperature is usually at 49C when not running heavy, and 61C under heavy use.

So if it is the fans that is causing the CPU to heat up, and lets say my BIOS is already at 85% or higher on my cooler, what type of fans or options would you recommend replacing the GIMS with?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I will look into the BIOS and see what its currently set up at, I will try to find a video on how to set it up.
Asus has largely been using the same bios interface for a while...
Bios > Advanced mode > Monitor tab > scroll down to find the liquid cooling headers. If the pump is plugged into one of the other headers, then enter Q-fan Configuration and find it there.

The GPU temperature is usually at 49C when not running heavy, and 61C under heavy use.
Wow! That's way better than I was expecting. I was concerned the gpu fans were being choked - guess not.

So if it is the fans that is causing the CPU to heat up, and lets say my BIOS is already at 85% or higher on my cooler, what type of fans or options would you recommend replacing the GIMS with?
What happened to the original fans that came with the Castle 360EX? It'd be simple enough to put those back on.
As for the other fans: Arctic P12. They may even be available in a pack of 5.
If you can't swallow the no-LED of the Arctic P12, the cost is gonna jump.
Deepcool FC120 - has a 3 pack
Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 - has a 3 pack
Lian Li UNI 120 - 3 pack

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Asus has largely been using the same bios interface for a while...
Bios > Advanced mode > Monitor tab > scroll down to find the liquid cooling headers. If the pump is plugged into one of the other headers, then enter Q-fan Configuration and find it there.

Wow! That's way better than I was expecting. I was concerned the gpu fans were being choked - guess not.

What happened to the original fans that came with the Castle 360EX? It'd be simple enough to put those back on.
As for the other fans: Arctic P12. They may even be available in a pack of 5.
If you can't swallow the no-LED of the Arctic P12, the cost is gonna jump.
Deepcool FC120 - has a 3 pack
Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 - has a 3 pack
Lian Li UNI 120 - 3 pack

I have posted pictures of the area I believe you needed me to go to so that I can set the % in the bios. It seems like the "controller" is disabled, and i was able to find the Q-Fan Configure and I believe because controller is disabled it doesn't have a marker to adjust it, but seems to be set at 100%. I have attached pictures to show (I am new to bios so hopefully I did it right).

Yea, the GPU is usually at 38c under light use, 45c medium use, and 55c heavy use. The highest I ever seen it was 61c.

The company I bought the pc from that does custom gaming computers did not ship them to me, they added the GIM fans instead. I can ask them about it, and I will look into the fan suggestions you listed as well. Do you feel like I would need to replace all 9, or would I just need to change out some and see how it works?

I just been monitoring my CPU temp for the past 24 hrs I noticed the following at 38-45C idle with hardly no programs, 70c with a program open, and 85-92c when i am gaming more.

Thank you for assistance and have learned quite a bit from this!

View: https://imgur.com/a/opt2kQV

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have posted pictures of the area I believe you needed me to go to so that I can set the % in the bios. It seems like the "controller" is disabled, and i was able to find the Q-Fan Configure and I believe because controller is disabled it doesn't have a marker to adjust it, but seems to be set at 100%. I have attached pictures to show (I am new to bios so hopefully I did it right).
If control of a header is set to 'disabled', it actually runs at 100% by default - at least on Asus boards; I'm using an X299 Prime Deluxe and all its headers do that to attached devices if they're disabled.
The downside of the disabled setting is that you can't monitor the speed with anything.

The company I bought the pc from that does custom gaming computers did not ship them to me, they added the GIM fans instead. I can ask them about it, and I will look into the fan suggestions you listed as well. Do you feel like I would need to replace all 9, or would I just need to change out some and see how it works?
~Ohh, I see.
They're too weak for radiator fans, and the bottom is naturally the most air resistant area of the O11 Dynamic - there is a free solution.

Definitely replace radiator fans.
The bottom fans could stay if you don't mind elevating the O11 a few centimeters.

I just been monitoring my CPU temp for the past 24 hrs I noticed the following at 38-45C idle with hardly no programs, 70c with a program open, and 85-92c when i am gaming more.
1st one doesn't sound alarming.
Ditto for the 2nd one.
3rd one is because the cooler is soaking up heat faster than it can get rid of it.

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
If control of a header is set to 'disabled', it actually runs at 100% by default - at least on Asus boards; I'm using an X299 Prime Deluxe and all its headers do that to attached devices if they're disabled.
The downside of the disabled setting is that you can't monitor the speed with anything.

~Ohh, I see.
They're too weak for radiator fans, and the bottom is naturally the most air resistant area of the O11 Dynamic - there is a free solution.

Definitely replace radiator fans.
The bottom fans could stay if you don't mind elevating the O11 a few centimeters.

1st one doesn't sound alarming.
Ditto for the 2nd one.
3rd one is because the cooler is soaking up heat faster than it can get rid of it.

Yea, the bottom of the case with the 3x fans don't feel hot relatively pretty cool so air must flow into it. The non glass side is warm-hot air, you can see in the picture the fans thru the case vent. The top part is the hottest with the exhaust vent (pictures attached). Also, included a core temp screen shot not sure if it helps. I will likely get some of the fans you suggested in the next couple weeks and see how it goes. Like right now im at CPU 86-89c as i type this (I got a game in the background running), GPU 56c.

View: https://imgur.com/a/MKbLLqP

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Sadly now the pc turned off on its own, and the computer still powers on, video card running, ram lights on, cooler spinning, fans going , the motherboard however doesn't have the green/white/red light on where it usually is and the post code is 00. I can't seem to get a screen on my monitor and when i hold down the power button it wont turn off, i have to turn the power supply off and turn it back on to try and turn the pc on again. Not sure where to post this one on the forums.

Edit: Now the pc just turned off on its own again.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/lspl98/asus_rog_strix_x570e_code_00_at_first_build/

The first thread was abandoned by the OP. The second one was resolved with a new psu.
Not saying the psu is the problem - other steps were tried, they might help. Code 00 doesn't seem to link to anything, which they both pointed out.
-double check that the cables are seated
-clear CMOS
-3 separate PCIe cables plugged into the gpu

You're likely going to have to contact Asus support on this one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turn the side fans around, make them into intakes instead of exhaust. Pull is far more effective than push with weak fans, especially through any kind of resistance like the side panel. Bottom fans as intake are fine, top as exhaust is fine.

As said, check your pump curve, should start at @ 70% duty cycle and rise to 100% by @ 70°C on the cpu. Those fans should only be controlled by the cpu, whether the whole controller is cpu or not. If the pump is not variable speed, set it for 100% or disable the pwm by setting the cpu_fan header to DC mode and 100%.

Performance and Aesthetics very seldom go hand-in-hand, almost always its a choice, one or the other. To get any performance whatsoever, the fan hub can only be so big, the rest being blades space. Once you add rgb into the mix, that's gotta go somewhere too, which means a smaller motor, smaller bearing, just to make room for the RGB pcb and wiring, inside the hub. And that's not including the changes to the chemical composition and physical dimensions of the blades just to get the right refraction for the lighting.

There's a reason why the beQuiet, Arctic, Noctua and several other excellent performance fans are simply not rgb of any sort.

Q-code 00 is a Royal pain in the .... It has no explicit definition, if you look in the service manuals, it's listed as 'Unused', but most definitely Is. There's multiple 'fixes' and just as many, if not more, supposed causes, but what it boils down to is the cpu is not initialized at boot up.

You can try pulling the bios battery and leaving it out for a half hour, replacing the battery, using the bios flashback, reseat the ram, the cpu, check for bent pins on the cpu, plug a fan into the cpu_fan header, pull out the gpu riser, even go as far as a complete breadboard outside the case (cpu, cooler, 1 stick of ram in A2, eps and 24pin psu ONLY and nothing else, see if it'll post correctly, reset cmos and try again..)

Last edited:

Michaelcortez

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
I open the case and looked inside and noticed liquid, so looks like the liquid cooler was likely what was making the noise and busted. I posted an image of the leak which must have just happened today because i open the case 2 days ago and there was nothing, so hopefully it didn't cause any damage to other components, i will try to RMA it and buy another liquid cooler in the mean time. Anyone suggest any that will work with my build that will help with the cpu cooling?

View: https://imgur.com/a/W19hc64

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dang, that sucks. Fan(s) probably flung it around too... it would be a good idea to take the PC apart, look around and clean it up.[Q-tips/soft cloth and some iso alcohol would help.]

You're not missing too much between AIOs.
-aesthetics
-whether you want to deal with mandatory software(NZXT CAM and Corsair iCUE), of which you will have a love/hate experience.
That's what most of them come down to. Performance is up in the air, due to almost no one actually running their fans at 100% - it'd be an EASY win for some models if that metric could be used. But most become too audible before they get that fast, and no 2 persons use the same fan curves.
A fan's performance below 100% isn't linear either. Some fans perform better/worse than others at a given rpm.

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, also available in a RGB and ARGB version
Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Dynamic X2, there's also the ARGB S36 Prisma
Lian Li Galahad 360
Just a few suggestions.

Reactions: Karadjgne