[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5950x Temperature spikes under load, while gaming

Jan 8, 2021
Hello everyone, I hope you do great
I have a Ryzen 9 5950x with a Noctua NH-D15 (Dual fan)
I know that in Ryzen it is common and normal to have temperature peaks in IDLE, for example being at 40º it jumps to 67 for a second and goes down again.
But does this also happen while the CPU is under load? for example while gaming.
I was playing Rust with the Ryzen Master on my second monitor and the temperature is stable between 48º and 53º but sometimes it would spike up to 58º or 68º for a second and then it would drop again.
Is it normal that it also happens while gaming?

Solution
Yip normal, it is the core/cores boosting to do a specific task that has just come in. I had a Ryzen 2nd Gen too so have gotten a feeling for the algorithums that control them, for example opening Steam I might get a burst and hit 63c, but gaming in Metro Exodus only 45c. Totally normal and I set my CPU fans in Bios at a 40% constant until 65c and then they can do more rarely do the fans Ramp or get to 70c as the spike in temps is a millisecond that has been recorded.
Yip normal, it is the core/cores boosting to do a specific task that has just come in. I had a Ryzen 2nd Gen too so have gotten a feeling for the algorithums that control them, for example opening Steam I might get a burst and hit 63c, but gaming in Metro Exodus only 45c. Totally normal and I set my CPU fans in Bios at a 40% constant until 65c and then they can do more rarely do the fans Ramp or get to 70c as the spike in temps is a millisecond that has been recorded.

Solution
Task manger wont show every single spike, and when your CPU boosts on light loads it will increase the voltage, Im sure that Noctua cooler is at low fans peed when that happens. As long as the CPU is find under full load, I wouldn't worry too much about it.