Question Ryzen 9 5950x temps ramp up

adanpium

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I recently upgraded from a ryzen 2700x to a 5950x and the temps look weird to me, while idle the temps range between 31c to 35c depending on the time of the day, while under load it does not go higher than 55c... So that seems normal to me however... When browsing the internet and doing simple stuff like opening new tabs. switching between windows or scrolling down through a library in file explorer the temps ramp up to 60c, they come down quick after the task is complete, seems like it only happens while something is loading, like a program or library... I have not noticed the CPU usage go above 8% during these simple tasks. Not sure what could be causing this or if it's normal

My specs are

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

RAM: HyperX Predator 32gbs 8x2 and one 16 stick (The two 8gb stick are on the A1 and 2 channels and the 16gb one is on the B2 channel

1TB NVME Samsung 970 PLUS

1TB HDD I don't recall the specs but it works fine for games

MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming x570-plus wifi

GPU: ASROCK RX 5600 XT

PSU: Gigabyte P850GM

Case: Lian Li PCO11 Dynamic

I'm running a custom loop with 2 radiators, I used to watercool a GPU as well but decided to dust off this 5600 XT to have an all AMD system

I'm not running PBO or anything, the CPU settings are left on default

The temperature is being monitored using TCTL

Other things I have noticed is that when running Cinebench and a new frame starts rendering the temps ramp up for a sec and come down, so it seems like it really comes down to loading things, I tested scrolling up and down on a picture library in my HDD and as long as I scroll the temps stay at 60c

Thanks for reading through all that, any input is appreciated

Last edited:
That seems to be alright to me to.

Then again you talk about Cinebench and Temps, but don't share the cpu all core frecuency while runing, nor the benchmark result. If the CPU all core frecuency and becnhmark resuls are between whats expected then no issues here.

Your temps are better than my temps on a 5900x with a 240mm aio then. Ryzen, at least the later ones will boost fairly aggressively. Do you have PBO turned on in the bios? I know with my setup, when I had PBO enabled(my gpu is a 6700xt), but when I went from 1080p to 1440p, the cpu for some reason seemed to heat up more aggressively. Maybe because the gpu was actually working harder as well. Until I put the aio in, I would get temps in the 80s. But it performs pretty well now. Go ahead and turn on PBO. Once you get a better card in there that system should scream.

Reactions: adanpium
I recently upgraded from a ryzen 2700x to a 5950x and the temps look weird to me, while idle the temps range between 31c to 35c depending on the time of the day, while under load it does not go higher than 55c... So that seems normal to me however... When browsing the internet and doing simple stuff like opening new tabs. switching between windows or scrolling down through a library in file explorer the temps ramp up to 60c, they come down quick after the task is complete, seems like it only happens while something is loading, like a program or library... I have not noticed the CPU usage go above 8% during these simple tasks. Not sure what could be causing this or if it's normal

My specs are

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

RAM: HyperX Predator 32gbs 8x2 and one 16 stick (The two 8gb stick are on the A1 and 2 channels and the 16gb one is on the B2 channel

1TB NVME Samsung 970 PLUS

1TB HDD I don't recall the specs but it works fine for games

MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming x570-plus wifi

GPU: ASROCK RX 5600 XT

PSU: Gigabyte P850GM

Case: Lian Li PCO11 Dynamic

I'm running a custom loop with 2 radiators, I used to watercool a GPU as well but decided to dust off this 5600 XT to have an all AMD system

I'm not running PBO or anything, the CPU settings are left on default

The temperature is being monitored using TCTL

Other things I have noticed is that when running Cinebench and a new frame starts rendering the temps ramp up for a sec and come down, so it seems like it really comes down to loading things, I tested scrolling up and down on a picture library in my HDD and as long as I scroll the temps stay at 60c

Thanks for reading through all that, any input is appreciated

Hey there,

What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it when replacing the CPU?

What bios are you running?

And yes, as @Zerk2012 suggested. Ditch that PSU asap. It's a timebomb.

adanpium

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
That seems to be alright to me to.

Then again you talk about Cinebench and Temps, but don't share the cpu all core frecuency while runing, nor the benchmark result. If the CPU all core frecuency and becnhmark resuls are between whats expected then no issues here.
The scores do seem to be fine, I got 24377 and the frequency remained stable at 3.7GHz, it only went up 4.7GHz for a sec at the start

adanpium

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Hey there,

What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it when replacing the CPU?

What bios are you running?

And yes, as @Zerk2012 suggested. Ditch that PSU asap. It's a timebomb.
I used Noctua NT-H1 and I went for the cross method (I've been doing it like that after watching this video Thermal Paste Spread Under Glass - YouTube ), I thought that could have been the issue initially so I re applied the paste and made sure the water block and backplate properly mounted

As for the BIOS it's the latest one for my MOBO which should be 4403, got it from the support site TUF GAMING X570-PLUS|Motherboards|ASUS Global Had to update because the system kept crashing prior to the update

And yeah haha already looking into a new PSU

Last edited:

adanpium

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Your temps are better than my temps on a 5900x with a 240mm aio then. Ryzen, at least the later ones will boost fairly aggressively. Do you have PBO turned on in the bios? I know with my setup, when I had PBO enabled(my gpu is a 6700xt), but when I went from 1080p to 1440p, the cpu for some reason seemed to heat up more aggressively. Maybe because the gpu was actually working harder as well. Until I put the aio in, I would get temps in the 80s. But it performs pretty well now. Go ahead and turn on PBO. Once you get a better card in there that system should scream.
I will give PBO a try, do you have any guide you recommend looking at? and thanks yeah I'm looking to get something from the upcoming amd rx 7000 line up!

I didn’t really do anything special I just enabled pbo in my bios and left everything stock and it does it’s thing. I’m running a 6700xt at the moment and pretty happy with performance though I wouldn’t mind a faster card, but I don’t need a faster one yet. Thinking my next upgrades will be a new table/desk and a chair as mine is a few years old and partially held together with duct tape.

adanpium

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
I didn’t really do anything special I just enabled pbo in my bios and left everything stock and it does it’s thing. I’m running a 6700xt at the moment and pretty happy with performance though I wouldn’t mind a faster card, but I don’t need a faster one yet. Thinking my next upgrades will be a new table/desk and a chair as mine is a few years old and partially held together with duct tape.
Thanks I will give it a try like that, and yeah haha I think you comfort should be the next thing