Question Ryzen 9 5950x temps

Jun 7, 2022
Can someone help my with my cpu? I've just upgraded and installed to a Ryzen 9 5950X from a ryzen 5 3600xt today and it's literally idling at a constant 80-90C temp. I feel like i've tried everything and it's not fixing the temp issue. (Reapplying thermal paste, checking cooler wires). I've even put the old cpu back in and tested to see if it was a cooler issue, but the temps were normal.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more info to aid in adding context to the issue you're facing. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the make and model of the cooler used to cool the processor as well as the BIOS version for said motherboard.

but the temps were normal.
Can you elaborate on that?

Jun 7, 2022
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT -> Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R
Motherboard: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK B550
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 2x16
SSD/HDD: XPG S40G 2TB RGB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G
PSU: Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
Chassis: MSI Gungnir 110R

Bios version:
7C91vAA1(Beta version)
2022-05-26

Using the new processor, starting up the temperature would peak around 80-90C, and there would be an error message saying "CPU overheating alert!" when first turning the computer on. Then when switching back to the previous processor, there would be no error messages and the temperatures would peak around 70-75C on startup.
I've tried reapplying thermal paste, cleaning out fans, made sure cables were securely connected, made sure the pump was secure in place.
If my CPU peaks at 90 just opening chrome, I'm afraid what would happen when opening heavy games that requires much more then what's required for startup.

How old is this AIO? (Many degrade after 18-24 months use due to microleaks, or pumps with clogged internal micro-fluid routing fins due to hard water deposits/contaminants, etc..) You may be able to find some examples of success with your cooler, but, it's possible yours is degraded, assuming your mainboard is not running too high a core voltage, with PBO/PBO2 enabled for 5.7 GHz single core boost, which might cause at least one or two cores to boost to a fairly high temp during system startup; you might need to test to see how your cooler performs under an all-core loading, such as that imposed by CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU RUn it for 10 minutes, and if temps get into the 90's with all-core turbos of 4.6 GHz, I'd say your cooling solution is just not quite cutting it....might be too much for the Ryzen 9)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upLPIFhuoLI

Jun 7, 2022
Update: I dropped the front panel and it seems to be idling around 60-70C, but it'll still rise in the high 80's when launching most programs.

Jun 7, 2022
I originally built the pc in September 2020, and had no issues involving the original processor and the cooler. The original CPU temps were never out of the ordinary.
If I were to upgrade the cooler, what would be the best option for what I have? I know I wouldn't be able to fit a 360mm cooler in the case since the 3080 is so big. Would a 280mm fit on the top my case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu + gpu combo probably too much for the AIO - assuming it's top mounted.
Gungnir 110R front panel isn't AIO friendly, and the top is limited to 240mm, making over-provisioning* on radiator size impossible. This is one of those scenarios where an air cooler has an advantage over an AIO.
[Top exhaust AIOs deal with everything below them, not just the cpu, so a little over-provision is a good idea.]

If you don't want to move away from the Gungnir 110R: replace the MAG cooler with the largest air cooler you can fit in there, and do not install fans in the top panel and in front of the cooler; it can draw air from both the top and front.

Also, probably going to need a larger cooler than a 240 for the 5950X.
Not really. A 240mm is enough for a 5900X; 5950X has the best cores and can use less power than the 5900X. It only gets better once tuned.

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
A 240 AIO not enough? MSI? Sounds like it’s one of the faulty ones that are clogged up and don’t cool properly anymore, it would explain everything here. It’s absolutely not possible for such a AIO to have those high idle temps unless something is very wrong with it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm thinking about swapping my current cooler with a NZXT Kraken Z53 since maybe the one I have currently has just gone bad, good idea?
IMO, another AIO isn't a good idea at all in the Gungnir 110R.
The front panel is a choking point for the radiator fans because of the glass and small vents.
While a 240mm is enough for just the 5950X, if used as top exhaust, it's no longer just the 5950X that the AIO is cooling. If it were possible to go bigger than 240mm... but the top doesn't support larger than that.