[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5950X undervolt unstable?

Jan 8, 2021
Hello everyone i hope you're doing great

I am from Spain and now that we are in summer, it is very hot in my city, so I had decided to undervolt my 5950X which I have with a NH-D15 double fan
Download CTR 2.0 and after making the diagnosis, apply the recommended values for undervolting which were 1v and 3975mhz, but when performing the test a bsod appeared and the pc restarted by itself.
How could I make the undervolt stable, aren't the values that the program tells you supposed to be stable?

Thank you very much to all

Solution

I am from Spain and now that we are in summer, it is very hot in my city, so I had decided to undervolt my 5950X which I have with a NH-D15 double fan
Download CTR 2.0 and after making the diagnosis, apply the recommended values for undervolting which were 1v and 3975mhz, but when performing the test a bsod appeared and the pc restarted by itself.
How could I make the undervolt stable, aren't the values that the program tells you supposed to be stable?

You don't really need to touch the voltage settings with a Zen 3 CPU. PBO options now have basically automatic undervolting:
  • You may need to update to the latest UEFI firmware version.
  • Set the CPU...

1 (one) volt undervolt ? That doesn't leave even 0.5v for normal operation.

You don't really need to touch the voltage settings with a Zen 3 CPU. PBO options now have basically automatic undervolting:
  • You may need to update to the latest UEFI firmware version.
  • Set the CPU values to default
  • Go to the PBO options in your BIOS (as far as I know, it's usually in some "AMD Overclocking" settings in another menu, it's not in the menu where you can manually adjust clock speeds)
  • Set PBO mode to "Advanced" or similar. Basically you want to see all the options
  • Set "PBO Limits" to "Disabled." This forces the CPU to use the stock power profile rather than the PBO profile.
  • Open the "Curve Optimizer" option
  • Set the optimizer for "Negative"
  • You can then set a value per-core or for all cores. The maximum value is 30, so you can start there and run a Cinebench R23 stability test to start. If it fails, then decrement the value by say 5 until you find a point where the processor is happy.
    • Of course, you could optimize per core, but given your processor, it'll likely be a very tedious task.
  • For extra fun if your processor doesn't get too hot, you can increase the frequency limit in the PBO options
I did this on my 5600X. Voltages don't get higher than 1.35V and the maximum boost I've seen it get to is 4.8GHz and a 4.4GHz all-core load. The processor also doesn't get warmer than 55C in a ~26C room when running a game. It gets closer to 65C if I let it run through Cinebench R23.

EDIT: Fixed the curve optimizer value, confused it with the clock speed offset value.

Last edited:
Solution

1v is WAY to low a voltage to expect stable operation even at 3975Mhz. Try 1.9 or 2.0v 1.19v or 1.20v minimum.

Better yet, the processor will protect itself if you leave it alone, with everything in AUTO. It tracks core temperature and will lower both clocks and voltage to maintain a safe temperature.

Last edited:

A Gamer

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2016
I have read many articles in the past after using -10 negative all cores for awhile. If you want the temperature to be lower, lower the PTT. The negative core thing is pretty much core stretching (not always). It only took me a bit too long to realize that even -10 was slightly unstable...

Also I highly recommend to not manualy set the voltages for the cpu. You could try run it in eco mode and see what the temperatures are, tbh. Also what even are your max. temperatures of the cpu?