Question Ryzen 9 7900x high temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2022
Hey everyone new to the forum. I just finished a new build with a ryzen 9 7900x paired with the corsair h150i AIO. Temps are holding steady at 95-98c at just idle which was worrisome so I jumped on Google and that was a rabbit hole with answers in all directions. Can anyone confirm that this is a safe and normal temp? One then I did notice is when I started playing a game...there was zero fluctuation in temps...stayed at the same 95-98c. Any advice/input is appreciated thank you!

Dec 21, 2022
include the rest of the system specs
along with the case(and a link to it), fan make & models, and the fans' locations and orientation.

Case: Antec Dark League DF800 FLUX (link below)
Mobo: gigabyte b650 elite ax
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
CPU Cooler: corsair h150i elite (360mm 3 fan) located on top of case
RAM: 64GB (16x4) DDR5 5200
GPU: RX 3070Ti
Fans- 3 intake on front - 1 exhaust on rear (not sure on brand - included with case) and 3 fans on radiator as mentioned above

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168111...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-11-129-280-_-12212022

ryzen 9 7900x paired with the corsair h150i AIO. Temps are holding steady at 95-98c at just idle

the allowed airflow of the case and the fan setup along with this AiO cooler should be able to keep the 7900X at decent temperatures at the least.

this CPU is known to run hotter than your average higher class series but anywhere near 90°C @ idle is crazy.
the fact that temperatures do not fluctuate while even gaming leads me to believe something else is going on.
include a screenshot of Task Manager while it is supposed to be idling.

also what are you using to monitor CPU temp?
and what temperatures does the GPU idle and max out while gaming?

do you have Gigabyte control software installed for custom fan profiles?
if not, you may want to try that with all case fan speeds ranging from ~50%rpm @ 30°C - 90%rpm @ 60°C.
and what settings are you using in the Corsair software for the cooler's fans?

Dec 21, 2022
the allowed airflow of the case and the fan setup along with this AiO cooler should be able to keep the 7900X at decent temperatures at the least.

this CPU is known to run hotter than your average higher class series but anywhere near 90°C @ idle is crazy.
the fact that temperatures do not fluctuate while even gaming leads me to believe something else is going on.
include a screenshot of Task Manager while it is supposed to be idling.

also what are you using to monitor CPU temp?
and what temperatures does the GPU idle and max out while gaming?

do you have Gigabyte control software installed for custom fan profiles?
if not, you may want to try that with all case fan speeds ranging from ~50%rpm @ 30°C - 90%rpm @ 60°C.
and what settings are you using in the Corsair software for the cooler's fans?

I'll have to check the majority of your suggestions/questions tomorrow. But what I can answer now ... I wad going based off the LED screen on the AIO for CPU temps as well as the iCue software for the AIO and gigabyte control center matches these temps. I have tried turning the case fans, radiator fans, and AIO pump all on high and might see a 1 degree drop but usually goes up and down that 1 degree. Corsair fans uses the same iCue software as the AIO itself

iCue software for the AIO and gigabyte control center matches these temps
hardware-wise i would guess the pump plate either isn't seated correctly on the CPU or that the pump just isn't functioning correctly.
could also be that the temperature isn't being detected correctly by the hardware.

software-wise it could be that the temperature just isn't being reported correctly but everything is functioning as it should.

many times it can also be that the thermal paste hasn't been applied right.
i would suggest that the generic paste provided by Corsair could be a problem itself but there's so many of their coolers on the market that this would be reported all day long on every forum out there if it was causing issue.

i've seen reported quite a few times that users forgot to remove the clear plastic sticker from the CPU plate before installing their cooler which lead to crazy temperatures and other issues.
if you don't remember this step you may want to disassemble and check how it looks.

Dec 21, 2022
Thank you for the info! I have some places to start at least. I need to get some thermal paste before I take the cooler off so I was going to check temps in bios to see if they are reading the same as the pump I had thought of this as well that it may just not be reading right ... if that all checks out I'll take the cooler off and reseat it

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
just want to add,
this is a safe and normal temp?
definitely not normal and actually not really "safe" either.
many chips sitting at or even near 100°C for very long can be permanently damaged.

if it turned out the chip was damaged by excessive heat; AMD, or the retailer purchased from, could refuse any return or replacement if they test for physical damage on the CPU.

Reactions: 22CamZL1
Dec 21, 2022
just want to add,

definitely not normal and actually not really "safe" either.
many chips sitting at or even near 100°C for very long can be permanently damaged.

if it turned out the chip was damaged by excessive heat; AMD, or the retailer purchased from, could refuse any return or replacement if they test for physical damage on the CPU.

Thank you again for all of your help! - I checked the BIOS temps this morning they matched the cooler readout. Took the CPU cooler off of the CPU and sure enough there was zero thermal paste on the CPU itself and the pre-applied paste was undisturbed. After a closer look - i noticed the "feet" that screw into the motherboard for the Cooler to attach to were not screwed all the way into the motherboard - i guess i just couldn't get my hands in there to get them finger screwed in all the way.

After getting those screwed in all the way - put the CPU cooler back on - now idle temps are right around 46-57

Status
Not open for further replies.