Question Ryzen 9 and asrock x570 pro 4

Jul 19, 2019
Hello, I have been trying to build my first PC ever. I have been traveling a little lately so I need a portable PC so I am stuck with a micro atx or mini itx build. I thought of getting an expert opinion on a motherboard I was looking at, it's the asrock x570 pro4 ( I am waiting for it to restock) with the processor ryzen 9 (also waiting for it to restock). I was also looking at the aorus mini itx board with WiFi but I didn't know if it will work well. Other boards were really expensive for me and we're going out my build budget. Any suggestions and opinions about how asrock pro4 will work or if it is okay to get a mini itx will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Both should be good choices, and onboard WiFi typically is quite good, so long as the drivers are available for your OS (and seeming as x570 is new, they will be available for new OSes). You could also consider any b450/x470 boards that have decent heatsinks on the VRM, as long as you can confirm they come with BIOS updated to support Ryzen 3000.

Jul 19, 2019
Both should be good choices, and onboard WiFi typically is quite good, so long as the drivers are available for your OS (and seeming as x570 is new, they will be available for new OSes). You could also consider any b450/x470 boards that have decent heatsinks on the VRM, as long as you can confirm they come with BIOS updated to support Ryzen 3000.
That is my biggest concern right now about the b450 and x470 as I am ordering stuff online, I am in Delaware and there are not any computer shops nearby that I can find out about updated bios on a b450 and x470 before buying. I was worried about heat sinks etc on mini itx boards, are they okay and function well? And any idea when ryzen 9 will be back in stock? Thank you so much for the help

Well as for it coming back in stock, I am not sure. Regarding heatsinks, basically anything that looks good is good for motherboard VRMs. If it is large in size then it is probably enough, while if it is small/there isn't one at all then it is not enough. If you are interested in getting a 400 serious chipset online, then you can contact the seller and they'll probably tell you whether it has an updated motherboard or not.

Jul 19, 2019
Well as for it coming back in stock, I am not sure. Regarding heatsinks, basically anything that looks good is good for motherboard VRMs. If it is large in size then it is probably enough, while if it is small/there isn't one at all then it is not enough. If you are interested in getting a 400 serious chipset online, then you can contact the seller and they'll probably tell you whether it has an updated motherboard or not.
Got it, I will try doing that, thank you so much for your help. And yes I don't know about the aourus heat sink as I can't see one on it, I asked here and there and a few of my friends they said if you are getting a 3700x you are good but if you get a 3900x you are gonna get bottlenecked.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Hello, I have been trying to build my first PC ever. I have been traveling a little lately so I need a portable PC so I am stuck with a micro atx or mini itx build. I thought of getting an expert opinion on a motherboard I was looking at, it's the asrock x570 pro4 ( I am waiting for it to restock) with the processor ryzen 9 (also waiting for it to restock). I was also looking at the aorus mini itx board with WiFi but I didn't know if it will work well. Other boards were really expensive for me and we're going out my build budget. Any suggestions and opinions about how asrock pro4 will work or if it is okay to get a mini itx will be greatly appreciated. TIA
That X570I Aorus Pro WiFi has 6 x 70 amp power stages in its VRM. It will laugh at a 3900x on ambient cooling. I'd avoid the budget x570 AsRock stuff although it would work fine too. There are just better featured motherboards in that price range. The Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus comes to mind.

Jul 19, 2019
That X570I Aorus Pro WiFi has 6 x 70 amp power stages in its VRM. It will laugh at a 3900x on ambient cooling. I'd avoid the budget x570 AsRock stuff although it would work fine too. There are just better featured motherboards in that price range. The Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus comes to mind.
Sadly I am stuck with a matx build as no matter how hard I try I can't find a tower that will fit a atx and still fit in my luggage.

Jul 19, 2019
I'd say the X570I Aorus Pro WiFi is your best bet then. More compact and a better VRM than the Pro 4. I'd say that's a win win.
Got it thank you so much. If the vrm or the heat sink isn't good what are the issues I can face? Could there be any serious damage in the long run too? Could it damage the processor as well?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Got it thank you so much. If the vrm or the heat sink isn't good what are the issues I can face? Could there be any serious damage in the long run too? Could it damage the processor as well?
That VRM probably doesn't even need a heatsink. The chances you'll pull more than 100 amps with that CPU with the cooler limitations of an ITX build are pretty slim. Considering the max current capacity of the power stages you will be barely working them. I'd be more worried about how you are going to cool the CPU than I would be about the VRM heatsink.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33iSRq_XJ0

Jul 19, 2019
That VRM probably doesn't even need a heatsink. The chances you'll pull more than 100 amps with that CPU with the cooler limitations of an ITX build are pretty slim. Considering the max current capacity of the power stages you will be barely working them. I'd be more worried about how you are going to cool the CPU than I would be about the VRM heatsink.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33iSRq_XJ0
I am getting this cpu cooler ,https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-001F-0...r&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-9SIA68V9AT8804-_-Product I am open to recommendations

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
https://www.newegg.com/black-raijintek-metis-plus-mini-itx-tower/p/2AM-002C-00048

I doubt you'll find a smaller case than this that will clear that cooler. I'd replace the plexi window with mesh and I'd use an SFX PSU with a SFX to ATX adapter. I had one that I did this to and it worked pretty good. It really helps the airflow that is otherwise severely lacking. I used a gutter leaf guard from Menard's for the mesh that was like $2. I flattened it out with a mallet, cut to size with snips, and used the nuts and bolts that held the original panel on to attach. You"ll also want a good slim fan for the top. You can fit a full size GPU if remove the hard drive cage and the SFX PSU gives you more room to work.

Jul 19, 2019
https://www.newegg.com/black-raijintek-metis-plus-mini-itx-tower/p/2AM-002C-00048

I doubt you'll find a smaller case than this that will clear that cooler. I'd replace the plexi window with mesh and I'd use an SFX PSU with a SFX to ATX adapter. I had one that I did this to and it worked pretty good. It really helps the airflow that is otherwise severely lacking. I used a gutter leaf guard from Menard's for the mesh that was like $2. I flattened it out with a mallet, cut to size with snips, and used the nuts and bolts that held the original panel on to attach. You"ll also want a good slim fan for the top. You can fit a full size GPU if remove the hard drive cage and the SFX PSU gives you more room to work.
So does the SFX PSU work fine with itx boards too?

Jul 19, 2019

Can you please tell me which power supply you used?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Perfect, this is great help. Thank you so much. Would you advise I go for a ryzen 7 instead?
I'm leaning in that direction. I'm not a streamer but I'd think a 3700x would do fine. There is also the nvenc encoder on RTX GPU's. I haven't done much research on this but I suspect you might actually be okay with a 3600 and an RTX card using nvenc.

Jul 19, 2019
I'm leaning in that direction. I'm not a streamer but I'd think a 3700x would do fine. There is also the nvenc encoder on RTX GPU's. I haven't done much research on this but I suspect you might actually be okay with a 3600 and an RTX card using nvenc.
Got it, I might for the 7 then after all. It's been a while since 9 hasn't hit the shelf.