[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 would there be a benefit

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I got a Ryzen 9 3900xt. It is on a Asus x570-e Gaming board. With a Noctua NHU12A. Love the Noctua. I am getting 70 degrees MAX in GTAV and maybe around 50 in game. I need to really push it to check stability. Would there be a benefit to water cooling? I would need a new case. So if I went this route what would be the most future ready setup? I do use a Blue ray drive and I would prefer to keep it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I am looking at the Corsiar 750D Airflow Edition. I like the look and the 5.25" drive bays. Is there a way to see which coolers it can fit?
I have a build using the 750D however I swapped out the fans for Mag Lev to get lower fan noise when under load.
The type of AIO to choose from are listed in the specs here: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-750D-Airflow-Edition-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011078-WW#tab-tech-specs however they are for Corsair. Nzxt have comparable solutions.
I chose the H100 (Top mounted) to achieve my max Overclock.
I also got rid of the drive bays and installed an M.2 drive for better Air flow.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I have a 16core 3950X. My max gaming temp in everything at Ultra is 45 to 48C. Streaming @ x264 slow preset bumps me up to 50 to 55C. Max load on 1hr. 4k video rendering is 60 C.
ALL OF THIS IS ON AUTO IN BIOS
EXCEPT PBO SETTINGS: PPT 395, TDC 255, EDC 230

Check my cpu-z validation below: 4.4GHz All Cores at 70c max. And we have the same VRM and BIOS, but water cooling would definitely help. I suggest Asetek based pumps or the Arctic Freezer II 280/360

I got a Ryzen 9 3900xt. It is on a Asus x570-e Gaming board. With a Noctura NHU12A. Love the Noctura. I am getting 70 degrees MAX in GTAV and maybe around 50 in game. I need to really push it to check stability. Would there be a benefit to water cooling? I would need a new case. So if I went this route what would be the most future ready setup? I do use a Blue ray drive and I would prefer to keep it around.
The Ryzen 9 3900x is a powerful and fast processor and can be run up to 5GHz with correct cooling.
Yes you would need a case that fits a Twin Rad 240mm AIO however the Noctua you have will suffice at stock frequency however you may not like the noise of the fans when under load.
An AIO will be more efficient, much less noise during normal operations, looks don't compare and less stress on the Motherboard.
If you want to stress test your system then download AIDA64 and run the stress test from the tools menu. It will determine the stability of your system.

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I am thinking about a NZXT H510 and the NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm RGB CPU Water Cooling Kit. Would they work together?

My system shows as stable but the temps do climb pretty quick. I doubt I would ever see that in a game but never know. If build my own cooling system it would be come over engineered really really quick.

In AIDA64 the highest temps got was 87 and then quickly down to 69. In 3 minutes all it did was go up and stabilize around 69.

Last edited:
I am thinking about a NZXT H510 and the NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm RGB CPU Water Cooling Kit. Would they work together?

My system shows as stable but the temps do climb pretty quick. I doubt I would ever see that in a game but never know. If build my own cooling system it would be come over engineered really really quick.

In AIDA64 the highest temps got was 87 and then quickly down to 69. In 3 minutes all it did was go up and stabilize around 69.
The results you have in Aida64 are to be expected with the cooling you have.

The NZXT H510 mid tower case is not the best solution for any AIO. Specs show limited solution and would have to be front mounted. Air flow thru the case is deficient IMO. The NZXT H710i is a better solution.
If you want to have decent cooling there are better cases if your prepared to pay a little more.

Have a look at the Corsair Mid Tower range and Phanteks also offer a decent range of Mid Tower cases https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...eFormFactor_en_string:Mid-Tower)#rotatingText

The range of NZXT AIOs are excellent. Choose a twin rad X53 or the X73 for extra cooling if you intend to MAX Overclock and make sure the AIO will fit in the case you choose preferably top mount.

Reactions: noluck4

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
The results you have in Aida64 are to be expected with the cooling you have.

The NZXT H510 mid tower case is not the best solution for any AIO. Specs show limited solution and would have to be front mounted. Air flow thru the case is deficient IMO. The NZXT H710i is a better solution.
If you want to have decent cooling there are better cases if your prepared to pay a little more.

Have a look at the Corsair Mid Tower range and Phanteks also offer a decent range of Mid Tower cases https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...eFormFactor_en_string:Mid-Tower)#rotatingText

The range of NZXT AIOs are excellent. Choose a twin rad X53 or the X73 for extra cooling if you intend to MAX Overclock and make sure the AIO will fit in the case you choose preferably top mount.

I am looking at the Corsiar 750D Airflow Edition. I like the look and the 5.25" drive bays. Is there a way to see which coolers it can fit?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
The Ryzen 9 3900x is a powerful and fast processor and can be run up to 5GHz with correct cooling.
Yes you would need a case that fits a Twin Rad 240mm AIO however the Noctua you have will suffice at stock frequency however you may not like the noise of the fans when under load.
An AIO will be more efficient, much less noise during normal operations, looks don't compare and less stress on the Motherboard.
If you want to stress test your system then download AIDA64 and run the stress test from the tools menu. It will determine the stability of your system.

Can you show me evidence of this? No one I have ever seen has exceeded 4.5ghz on a 3900x without liquid nitrogen. And after reviewing the binning process from Silicon Lottery, the overwhelming majority were incapable of exceeding 4.25ghz under normal conditions. I'm not suggesting that you are lying or even wrong, I've just never seen that, and can't find evidence of it, so I am hoping you have the evidence.

Can you show me evidence of this? No one I have ever seen has exceeded 4.5ghz on a 3900x without liquid nitrogen. And after reviewing the binning process from Silicon Lottery, the overwhelming majority were incapable of exceeding 4.25ghz under normal conditions. I'm not suggesting that you are lying or even wrong, I've just never seen that, and can't find evidence of it, so I am hoping you have the evidence.

Please don't try to insinuate my intent was to deceive and take me out of context.

A better question;
How important is it to you that I should prove it and show evidence that your hoping for.?
I did make a small error and should have said 5.3GHz with the correct cooling.

I also maybe should have described the method used listing voltages, sub zero temps, Motherboard and RAM used to achieve said OC. I simply made a broad statement what could be achieved with the correct cooling.

This observation was based on pro Overclockers at Games Nexus if your really interested in LN2 Overclocking.
It's 4hrs long and very informative. YOU may wish to skip thru it however the proof you require is toward the end.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCfxrGbYNw

I have a build using the 750D however I swapped out the fans for Mag Lev to get lower fan noise when under load.
The type of AIO to choose from are listed in the specs here: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-750D-Airflow-Edition-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011078-WW#tab-tech-specs however they are for Corsair. Nzxt have comparable solutions.
I chose the H100 (Top mounted) to achieve my max Overclock.
I also got rid of the drive bays and installed an M.2 drive for better Air flow.

Solution

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Please don't try to insinuate my intent was to deceive and take me out of context.

I literally went out of my way to explicitly say that WAS NOT what I was insinuating. I don't know why I even try sometimes... 😪

I also said that people have done it WITH liquid nitrogen, and asked for evidence of it being done without that. But you still link me to a video of someone doing it with liquid nitrogen. Even funnier, it is the exact video that I originally saw that in, and the reason I said that it was only possible to get 5.0 ghz with liquid nitrogen.

You clearly have reading comprehension issues on multiple fronts. So I'm going to bow out of this thread now.

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I am not after max overclocks. I am only after good stable temps. It looks like that is what I have right now. I see water cooling happening in my future but maybe in a 6 months to a year or so. I am just after a good case now that supports that idea (future ready), but can do what I need. Like I need my blue ray drive. I did get a good look at the CORSAIR GRAPHITE 780T. It almost looks like it fits the bill.

I am not after max overclocks. I am only after good stable temps. It looks like that is what I have right now. I see water cooling happening in my future but maybe in a 6 months to a year or so. I am just after a good case now that supports that idea (future ready), but can do what I need. Like I need my blue ray drive. I did get a good look at the CORSAIR GRAPHITE 780T. It almost looks like it fits the bill.
I also have other builds with the Graphite series 780T full tower case. An excellent choice and plenty of room to work with.

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I got my numbers wrong it was the 760T. I got it and love it. Great case. The improved cable management alone makes it worth it. Took me a few hours to get it all in there properly but temps are great and I have all my toys. I like the removable top hood. I call it the cat protector.