Ryzen and RipJaws V

Dec 27, 2018
I have the ryzen 7 1700, ripjaws V 2400, and the asrock ab350 pro4. when I set the ram to 2400 it boots but after awhile of running I get a windows stop code due to a ram related issue. tested both sticks and they both work alone. I think this is due to ram timings but don't really know. I know lots about computers but not much about the bios and stuff yet. Thank you for your time!

Most Ripjaws have timings that are optimized for Intel platforms. Sometimes they'll work fine, especially if they are B-die modules, but sometimes they won't. I'd try using the Ryzen calculator.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

You might also try a different set of sticks. It's recommended to go with part numbers that are not only tested to work on Ryzen, but at the ADVERTISED speed. The motherboard QVL lists only represent the fact that a given memory module WORKS, at the default speed of 2133mhz, not that they will work at the advertised speed even though they divide the memory into different speed categories on the QVL list.

These are tested to work AT the advertised speeds on Ryzen platforms. Obviously, better quality memory like those with Samsung B-die ICs are more likely to work at higher speeds and recommended timings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Also, if you do not have the latest motherboard bios installed, you need to update to the latest version and try again. BIOS version is highly tied to memory compatibility on Ryzen. There are hundreds of Youtube tutorials on updating the bios for any given brand, platform and chipset.

Dec 27, 2018

Dec 27, 2018
Well i downloaded it but it only gives me the option to calculate timings for 2666 and above. I have 2400 mhz ram. I forgot to say that i got this from newegg as a combo with the cpu and mobo a few months back. Havent tried to mess with getting the ram to full speed till now.

Newegg, and many others, are well known for combining parts that often don't play nice together. Tiger direct used to ship parts that weren't even remotely compatible with each other as a bundle. Newegg occasionally still does that, but they've gotten a lot better about it.

Still, I'd FIRST update the motherboard BIOS. That is probably the single most important thing you can do. The fact that you have the lowest end B350 motherboard ASRock makes doesn't help the situation any, but updating the bios might definitely resolve the memory issue. Setting the memory XMP profile afterwards will hopefully resove your issue fully.

Dec 27, 2018
I already have the motherboard updated all the way. And when i enable the XMP settings i get the windows stop codes. I heard people made my specific mobo work with this ram but they had to tinker around with the bios

TRENDING THREADS