[SOLVED] Ryzen Asus Prime B350m-a ram overclocking.

Solution
List your PC specs, specially the make and model of your ram.

I've the same mobo, and it's actually very easy to OC ram. You simply select the speed you want the ram to run at, and/or voltage and timings select save and exit from the bios and try boot up.

However, actually OC'ing ram so it's stable takes testing and trial and error. Your best bet is to leave all timings on auto. Set your voltage at the DIMMS stock, normally 1.2v. Then up the speed one notch, and test with memtest at the new settings. if it passes 4 passes of memtest, then Rinse and repeat, until you get to your desired speeds, or the ram maxes out and you can't OC any more.#

DOCP is disabled, because your ram does not have an XMP profile (XMP =DOCP on Asus mobo's)...
List your PC specs, specially the make and model of your ram.

I've the same mobo, and it's actually very easy to OC ram. You simply select the speed you want the ram to run at, and/or voltage and timings select save and exit from the bios and try boot up.

However, actually OC'ing ram so it's stable takes testing and trial and error. Your best bet is to leave all timings on auto. Set your voltage at the DIMMS stock, normally 1.2v. Then up the speed one notch, and test with memtest at the new settings. if it passes 4 passes of memtest, then Rinse and repeat, until you get to your desired speeds, or the ram maxes out and you can't OC any more.#

DOCP is disabled, because your ram does not have an XMP profile (XMP =DOCP on Asus mobo's). SO you have to set your ram manually, and OC that way. Like I've described above.

You can see from my sig, I have my 2400 mhz ram running at 2733 with better timings than stock, and with just a 0.01 bump in voltage to 1.21v on the mem. This took time to get it all right. You can use Dram Calculator for Rzyen to help with refining your timings down lower. For now leaving them on auto and getting the right speeds is first on the list.

Solution

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
r5 1400 3.7ghz at 1.41 volts
4x2gb crucial 2400mhz rando ass no heatspreader ram
gtx 1070.
OK THAT MAKES SENSE THANK YOU.
i had no idea xmp docp were specific to ram. I have a question tho, shouldnt u have memory timings tightened?
This has been really helpful thank you so much again. One more question, is increasing voltages not necessary for overclock? and what voltage is your 1600x at for 3.9ghz?

r5 1400 3.7ghz at 1.41 volts
4x2gb crucial 2400mhz rando ass no heatspreader ram
gtx 1070.
OK THAT MAKES SENSE THANK YOU.
i had no idea xmp docp were specific to ram. I have a question tho, shouldnt u have memory timings tightened?
This has been really helpful thank you so much again. One more question, is increasing voltages not necessary for overclock? and what voltage is your 1600x at for 3.9ghz?

Yes, you ideally want to tighten the timings. But first you want to hit the speed. Then tighten timings down from there. If you try both at the same time, you have too many variables to take into account.

So start with timings on auto. Get a stable speed running, running at stock, 1.2. Then you can try reduce the timings to get them tighter. This is time consuming. By doing it bit, by bit, you rule out making silly mistakes. You may need to give a further voltage bump to 1.22 if your ram is unstable.

Regarding the CPU OC, that's different somewhat. Each CPU is different, and what works for one, may not work for another (Silicon Lottery).

My voltage for 3.9 all core is 1.3v. But it could be 1.325 or 1.35 for your CPU. You have to test that too, trial and error.

Here's a great guide to help you on your way:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

There is some mem and CPU OC'ing in here. My advise: Read, read and read some more. Make sure you understand what you are doing and what you want to achieve. Then it will be easy enough.

Reactions: pooeyman
BTW, on a side note. Your 3.7 @1.41 volts seems way too much for me. You must be hitting insane temps with your CPU? For me, 1.41v is not worth it for any speed increase. At 1.41v you are reducing the lifespan of your CPU, appreciably. You really don't want it more than 1.375/1.35. Your temps should be below 80c on stress testing. Stress test with Prime95, small ffts and version 26.6. This will give you a true idea of where your temps are at for a 1.41 voltage. I expect it to fail, and possibly shut down. Your CPU voltage is way too high. What cooler do you have? DO you have random shutdowns? Do you have fps drops/lagging in game?

Run your CPU at stock. Open up CPU-z or coretemp. At stock, it will show your VID. This is in theory your max voltage that you should use. 1.41 without water cooling is gonna slowly kill your CPU. My VID is 1.375. So when OC'ing you should be starting way low, and test to see if you can reduce the voltage.

Follow that guide, and it will help you achieve a better OC, with lower voltages, temps, and probably a much more stable CPU.

Edit: You should be using vcore offset to set CPU voltages, are you using the offset?

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
BTW, on a side note. Your 3.7 @1.41 volts seems way too much for me. You must be hitting insane temps with your CPU? For me, 1.41v is not worth it for any speed increase. At 1.41v you are reducing the lifespan of your CPU, appreciably. You really don't want it more than 1.375/1.35. Your temps should be below 80c on stress testing. Stress test with Prime95, small ffts and version 26.6. This will give you a true idea of where your temps are at for a 1.41 voltage. I expect it to fail, and possibly shut down. Your CPU voltage is way too high. What cooler do you have? DO you have random shutdowns? Do you have fps drops/lagging in game?

Run your CPU at stock. Open up CPU-z or coretemp. At stock, it will show your VID. This is in theory your max voltage that you should use. 1.41 without water cooling is gonna slowly kill your CPU. My VID is 1.375. So when OC'ing you should be starting way low, and test to see if you can reduce the voltage.

Follow that guide, and it will help you achieve a better OC, with lower voltages, temps, and probably a much more stable CPU.

Edit: You should be using vcore offset to set CPU voltages, are you using the offset?
I am using the offset. The thing is that the cpu crashes if i set any offset below this, however, when i use live monitoring of voltage via hwinfo it never even hits 1.3volts. My cooler is worse than ryzen stock so it hits 80 degrees maxed out, my random shutdowns occur on 3.7ghz if i drop voltages below this offset, fps are wonderful tbh.

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Ok so regardless of what i set in bios, my voltage never hits 1.3v even. Right now at 3.7ghz my bios voltage is at 1.35v and the test was stable at 80 degrees. Effing around with the offset doesnt really seem to make a difference and 3.7ghz is essentially my wall. Nothing i do allows it to hit 3.8ghz, probs cus the voltages arent going up. Could be that HWinfo is wrong tho, also a possibility.

Ok so regardless of what i set in bios, my voltage never hits 1.3v even. Right now at 3.7ghz my bios voltage is at 1.35v and the test was stable at 80 degrees. Effing around with the offset doesnt really seem to make a difference and 3.7ghz is essentially my wall. Nothing i do allows it to hit 3.8ghz, probs cus the voltages arent going up. Could be that HWinfo is wrong tho, also a possibility.

Defo get a decent cooler, I'm sure your chip will go higher if you do get one!

Listen, we've gone slightly off topic. So, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me. It's best to close out this thread, otherwise it could continue for a while.

Reactions: pooeyman