[SOLVED] Ryzen Core performance boost is stuck at 3.7ghz since installing ReviOS ?

Feb 22, 2021
I have a ryzen 5 2600x and a few days ago i downloaded a new os called revi os, before the new os my cpu used to run 4ghz,4.1hz with no problem but after i downloaded revi os my cpu is being limited till 3.7ghz. I use ryzen master to check my temps and while i was using it i noticed that the setting goes from pbo to manual automatically and caps the cpu speed till 3.7ghz . I didnt do anything, the settings in the bios is same as always. Should i go back to my old windows and check if i still get the problem? Can this damage my cpu in any way or form ?

Solution
not too bad. pretty close to 4 ghz.

to tweak it further, you'll need someone more versed in that that i am. i just turned on PBO and forgot about it :) i don't usually bother with that type stuff unless i note some kind of an issue with the system. i don't think you can tweak PBO anyway. you'd have to go full manual which i don't recall ever seeing being worth the time.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it won't damage your cpu. most likely part of stripping down windows removed a piece that helped control the cpu. a lot goes into managing the various speed boosts and so on and it happens not just in the bios but also windows.

check and see if all the drivers are in place. since windows update is removed it probably did not go online and grab everything automatically like it normally does. this is part of the compromises you make with things like this. you may have to manually install some drivers. check device manager for any missing drivers.

you should also NEVER use things like this as a daily driver until you have personally tried it, tested it, and are sure it works like you expect. you should dual boot with your old install as you check it out before ever trying to move to it as your one and only. i downloaded it just to see and will tinker with it as a vm just for the giggles of it.

but most likely this is some missing piece of windows that was removed when it was stripped down.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Feb 22, 2021
it won't damage your cpu. most likely part of stripping down windows removed a piece that helped control the cpu. a lot goes into managing the various speed boosts and so on and it happens not just in the bios but also windows.

check and see if all the drivers are in place. since windows update is removed it probably did not go online and grab everything automatically like it normally does. this is part of the compromises you make with things like this. you may have to manually install some drivers. check device manager for any missing drivers.

you should also NEVER use things like this as a daily driver until you have personally tried it, tested it, and are sure it works like you expect. you should dual boot with your old install as you check it out before ever trying to move to it as your one and only. i downloaded it just to see and will tinker with it as a vm just for the giggles of it.

but most likely this is some missing piece of windows that was removed when it was stripped down.

I downloaded the official windows 10 and its still happening

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i found ryzen master to be pretty crappy and removed it pretty quickly.

i only rely on the BIOS to turn on PBO and have not had any issues with it. i'd suggest enabling PBO in the bios and getting rid of that software as it seems to cause a lot of problems for people, myself included. i now have 3 ryzen systems in my house and none have any problems boosting and none use any software.

MSI afterburner is a good tool to monitor your system. works great and does not mess with the system

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/msi-afterburner-beta-download,36.html

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Feb 22, 2021
i found ryzen master to be pretty crappy and removed it pretty quickly.

i only rely on the BIOS to turn on PBO and have not had any issues with it. i'd suggest enabling PBO in the bios and getting rid of that software as it seems to cause a lot of problems for people, myself included. i now have 3 ryzen systems in my house and none have any problems boosting and none use any software.

MSI afterburner is a good tool to monitor your system. works great and does not mess with the system

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/msi-afterburner-beta-download,36.html
i removed ryzen master then i reset my bios but i still had the same problem

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it persists between different windows installs, then it is not windows related. this is likely something in the bios, though i am not sure what it could be. if you've reset the bios and set it the way it was, then it should work the way it did.

are the temps ok still?

it is also possible your are mixing up what speed you were looking at. it was normal for a single core of the 2600 to boost to 4 ghz but never really happened for all cores. are you by any chance looking at the all core boost now, but were looking at the single core boost before? 3.7 or so is not bad for an all core boost for that chip if i recall right.

Feb 22, 2021
if it persists between different windows installs, then it is not windows related. this is likely something in the bios, though i am not sure what it could be. if you've reset the bios and set it the way it was, then it should work the way it did.

are the temps ok still?

it is also possible your are mixing up what speed you were looking at. it was normal for a single core of the 2600 to boost to 4 ghz but never really happened for all cores. are you by any chance looking at the all core boost now, but were looking at the single core boost before? 3.7 or so is not bad for an all core boost for that chip if i recall right.
i used hwinfo64 aswell to check speed, all cores were running at 3.7ghz temps are fine and i reset my bios again. The settings in ryzen master goes from auto to manual and the speed drops with it so im gonna wait till the settings change and then im gonna run a benchmark to check what speed im getting on all cores. can you recommend any free cpu benchmark

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
interesting. now i'd start looking for info specific to your mobo. might be a known issue others have talked about.

i have not run across it myself so not sure what else might help. i have 3 systems all running a gigabyte b450 aorus pro and they all work fine with PBO.

Feb 22, 2021
interesting. now i'd start looking for info specific to your mobo. might be a known issue others have talked about.

i have not run across it myself so not sure what else might help. i have 3 systems all running a gigabyte b450 aorus pro and they all work fine with PBO.
im using a b450 mortar max and i bought it a month ago and before getting the new windows i had no problems

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not too bad. pretty close to 4 ghz.

to tweak it further, you'll need someone more versed in that that i am. i just turned on PBO and forgot about it :) i don't usually bother with that type stuff unless i note some kind of an issue with the system. i don't think you can tweak PBO anyway. you'd have to go full manual which i don't recall ever seeing being worth the time.

Solution