[SOLVED] Ryzen Cpu idle fluctuation

fluidz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Is it normal for my Ryzen 3700x to be fluctuating like this when the pc is idle on the desktop? (no background apps running). The frequency and voltage (Core vid) is wildly fluctuating up and down multiple times per second. I haven't touched any settings in Quick CPU, i'm just using it to monitor.

I assume this is normal for Ryzen?

Cpu Ryzen 3700x at stock bios settings
Cooler Noctua nh-d14 (two fans at 850rpm).
Motherboard B450 mortar max, optimised defaults with xmp enabled
Bios 7B89v27 Agesa 1.0.0.5
Operating system Windows 10 v2004

farx0Vr.gif

Last edited:
Solution
You have one more BIOS update pending. That should be a little better in terms of ram support and overall system stability. That's about the same as what I'd seen when I built a system for a friend but it was on the older BIOS back in October 2019(v24), same processor.

Lutfij

Titan
You have one more BIOS update pending. That should be a little better in terms of ram support and overall system stability. That's about the same as what I'd seen when I built a system for a friend but it was on the older BIOS back in October 2019(v24), same processor.

Reactions: fluidz
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
the pc is idle on the desktop? (no background apps running).
It's Windows 10. Take it for granted that there are multiple background apps and tasks running, stopping, starting at any given moment. It's not like back in the day of XP when the internet was a connection not an automatic assumption. Now there's constant security checks, AV, malware, malicious file checks, net connection checks, software links from Microsoft Store, newsfeeds and all the rest of that 'luxury' necessities.

Idle? Hah, idle is nothing more now than lack of user input now.

It is normal for any CPU that is not running at set frequency and boost/turbo is enabled. Windows are seldom at true idle even when you are not running specific application (take a look at task manager), always something happening in the background whether you know about it or not. Ryzen is fast to react to demands and that's why it may look like it's twitchy, more than some older CPUs. That's how it's supposed to react and that's a good thing.

While I agree with you, its a better metric to look at. If you open task master and see all those threads and handles do you think they just sit there with a thimb up their tail?
For everyday use, RM is better as it has longer polling interval so it shows frequency closer to reality.
HWinfo starts with and can be set to much shorter polling interval and so shows shorter peaks and drops. More suitable for troubleshooting, OC or assessing true frequency for any core as well as per core voltage, wattage etc. Ryzen doesn't report per core temperature but HWinfo shows all 3 temp sensors, also better for troubleshooting. Task master ? I suppose you are talking about Task Manager ? If you open Resource monitor you can also see usage for all/any cores although it's not as detailed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RM is idiot lights in a car. Sure you still have a speedometer, and a gas gauge, but everything else considered non-essential is regulated to general info.
HWInfo is a full gauge package. Speedo, tach, gas voltage, temp, everything for those ppl who decide they really just want to know the details.

Both work just fine, it's a matter of personal preference or need that will determine exactly which dashboard suits you better.

Reactions: CountMike
RM is idiot lights in a car. Sure you still have a speedometer, and a gas gauge, but everything else considered non-essential is regulated to general info.
HWInfo is a full gauge package. Speedo, tach, gas voltage, temp, everything for those ppl who decide they really just want to know the details.

Both work just fine, it's a matter of personal preference or need that will determine exactly which dashboard suits you better.
Exactly.

TRENDING THREADS