Question Ryzen CPU X - - - Corsair RAM instability issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
This build worked fine for a month until it started BSOD on Windows 11/10.
It posts normally but suddenly crashes.
It is somewhat stable with only 3 Memory Slots and at 2133 MHz.

Rog Strix B550-F
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
Force MP600 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

Steps taken so far:
Reinstalled Windows using 11/10 in different drives.
Flashed the BIOS from Asus latest.
Replaced the CMOS battery for a brand new one just in case.
Reset CPU, removed it, checked for bent pins (none found), cleaned it up with alcohol, reapplied thermal paste.
Tested Memory units one by one separately using the B2 slot, all memory units work.
All memory Slots work, B2 + A2 and B1 and A1.
The system post and seems stable with 3 of the slots occupied, no matter which 3 slots, like: B1 + A1 + A2 or B1 + B 2 + A1.
But If I add the fourth slot it will post and BSOD when Windows Loads up.
If I add the fourth slot and, in the BIOS, I set it to D.O.C.P. and it automatically sets the Memory to its default max speed 3200 MHz the system post on Safe Mode BIOS, and I never get to load windows, it loops back to BIOS Safe Mode reporting instability and asking for changes.
To make sure it works I have to remove one of the RAM units and load the BIOS to default which sets the RAM back to 2133 MHz.
But when at 2133 MHz it BSOD as Windows loads if I add the forth RAM in the remaining slot.

Please help, I have spent all my savings on this build which was supposed to be my best ever, but...
I suspect the motherboard is the culprit but Amazon won't replace a Motherboard after 2 months ( It took me a month to start building this PC waiting on other parts ).
It worked fine for a month; no change was made of any sort to cause this issue but Windows 11 updates.

Feb 20, 2023
That's no good.
First off, check if the problem is with the RAM sticks and not the slots.
If you say the system works fine regardless of which 3 slots you occupy, you should boot the system with 1 stick of RAM and run memtest for at least 30-60 minutes each and see if you got any defective RAM module.

Vengeance memory kits do not work well with Ryzen platforms. That is simply a fact.

If you can return the memory and look to something like the G.Skill Ripjaws or Trident Z or Trident Z Neos kits, you would probably save yourself some headaches.

If that is not possible, there are some things we can try but before that I must ask, was ALL of this memory purchased in ONE SINGLE KIT or is this two identical kits of the same model? Because, those are not the same thing.

It is very unlikely that the problem is the motherboard. Anything is possible, but this is not uncommon and I've helped with probably HUNDREDS of similar problems on Ryzen platforms using a variety of Vengeance memory kits that could only be resolved by replacing the memory with a non-Vengeance product. The biggest problem is that Corsair uses a wild variety of different ICs on their Vengeance kits and many of them simply will not play nice with the memory controller and motherboards on these Ryzen chipsets and CPUs.

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
That's no good.
If you say the system works fine regardless of which 3 slots you occupy, you should boot the system with 1 stick of RAM and run memtest for at least 30-60 minutes each and see if you got any defective RAM module.
Hello my friend, thank you for replying back.
Yesterday I did exacly what your suggested. I tested all 4 sticks on the slot B2 one by one, loading Windows and using Memtest to evaluate each. The sticks are good.

That's no good.
This is also not the worst idea ever, however, it is going to be a LENGTHY process because you will not only need to test each and every stick in the B2 slot and run it for FOUR FULL PASSES on each stick, but even if that passes on every stick you will want to then test each and every stick in each and every slot to make sure whether it is in fact a problem with a given DIMM slot rather than a problem with the memory itself. Simply testing each and every stick in the B2 slot for four full passes should however be enough to say it is not JUST a physical memory problem, unfortunately it does not tell us if it is a problem of the board, chipset or memory controller just not wanting to play nice with a full house of Vengeance ICs onboard.

Also, you make zero mention of what the EXACT model of your power supply is. Since this is unquestionably the most important component in ANY build, that is a need to know before even trying to make any other determinations. I've seen hundreds of situations where a poor quality or old weak power supply worked ok until that new, higher powered component or additional stick of memory or drive was installed, and then ooops, not so much. If possible, the approximate age or amount of time in service of that PSU as well.

Ok, I will test one by one again in all slots for 30 minutes. I will post the results here.
No. If you already tested all four DIMMs in the B2 slot, and not for "30 minutes" because that means literally nothing, then the memory itself probably does not have a physical problem so long as you tested EVERY STICK for the FOUR FULL PASSES of all 11 available tests that it runs them through. It is very important that you allow each stick to complete the four full passes and this will take a long time, much longer than 30 minutes per stick usually, to test them all. Plan to test for many hours if you are testing four DIMMs individually.

Still you did not answer if ALL this memory came in one kit or was two separately purchased kits of the same model number?

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Vengeance memory kits do not work well with Ryzen platforms. That is simply a fact.

If you can return the memory and look to something like the G.Skill Ripjaws or Trident Z or Trident Z Neos kits, you would probably save yourself some headaches.

If that is not possible, there are some things we can try but before that I must ask, was ALL of this memory purchased in ONE SINGLE KIT or is this two identical kits of the same model? Because, those are not the same thing.

It is very unlikely that the problem is the motherboard. Anything is possible, but this is not uncommon and I've helped with probably HUNDREDS of similar problems on Ryzen platforms using a variety of Vengeance memory kits that could only be resolved by replacing the memory with a non-Vengeance product. The biggest problem is that Corsair uses a wild variety of different ICs on their Vengeance kits and many of them simply will not play nice with the memory controller and motherboards on these Ryzen chipsets and CPUs.

Hi there,

I have bought 2 kits of 2x16GB (32GB). Do you think this could be the problem? I will reach out and see If I can swap them for a non Vengeance.

Thank you!

Wes

Yes, I do. Please read the section titled "Mixed memory (Or the odd man out) at this link:

As well as this post, which further addresses the problems that can be related to the use of mixed memory configurations.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

Plus, the use of FOUR DIMM memory configurations on Ryzen platforms OFTEN creates it's own entirely separate issues in many cases, not least of which is the inability to get memory kits to run at their full XMP profile speeds. Mostly four DIMM configurations are only officially supported on most Ryzen platforms if you are willing to trade to a lower speed in exchange for running a higher capacity four DIMM configuration, or are willing to do a lot of memory configuration tweaking, and even then may never achieve the result you desire. It's not AS bad with the 5xxx series as it was on earlier Ryzen generations, but there are still problems a lot of the time.

Any of these kits, including the higher speed 3600mhz kit, would be better options and I have used all of these on Ryzen platforms with good success. The Flare X kit is specifically designed for Ryzen as well.

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Also, you make zero mention of what the EXACT model of your power supply is. Since this is unquestionably the most important component in ANY build, that is a need to know before even trying to make any other determinations. I've seen hundreds of situations where a poor quality or old weak power supply worked ok until that new, higher powered component or additional stick of memory or drive was installed, and then ooops, not so much. If possible, the approximate age or amount of time in service of that PSU as well.

Sorry about that... here are the other parts:

PSU Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM1000x, 1000 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular
CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler

... I try to stay in the brand to avoid conflicts :D well is not working.

"Staying in brand" to avoid conflicts is an imaginary thing to be honest. Every brand's products have som many variables from one model to the next it is no different, and in fact in some cases it's even worse, then just using what you know to be a quality product from another company. The only exception to that really is when you NEED to stay within brand because the ecosystem requires the use of one of their products because of proprietary reasons such as connectors, standards or form factors that are not supported by products from another company and Corsair is known for doing that with some of their Commander and iCue products, but it really has nothing ever to do with memory products. Normally that is for things like fans, fan controllers, RGB and ARGB products and some of their coolers.

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Yes, I do. Please read the section titled "Mixed memory (Or the odd man out) at this link:

As well as this post, which further addresses the problems that can be related to the use of mixed memory configurations.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

Plus, the use of FOUR DIMM memory configurations on Ryzen platforms OFTEN creates it's own entirely separate issues in many cases, not least of which is the inability to get memory kits to run at their full XMP profile speeds. Mostly four DIMM configurations are only officially supported on most Ryzen platforms if you are willing to trade to a lower speed in exchange for running a higher capacity four DIMM configuration, or are willing to do a lot of memory configuration tweaking, and even then may never achieve the result you desire. It's not AS bad with the 5xxx series as it was on earlier Ryzen generations, but there are still problems a lot of the time.

Any of these kits, including the higher speed 3600mhz kit, would be better options and I have used all of these on Ryzen platforms with good success. The Flare X kit is specifically designed for Ryzen as well.

Hey, you were right!
I have this set og G.Skills (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 from my old system, I swap those for the Vengeance and the problem is solved. No BIOS posting issues and no BSOD. I was able to set them to it's default max speed 3200 MHz in the BIOS - D.O.C.P. no issues.

Thank you so much, thank you everyone that answered to my post. You guys are awesome!

I have called the vendor about returning the Vengeance sticks for incompatibility issues, I will have to pay a $50 of reestocking fee tough.

Once again, thank you.

Wes

wesleyarts

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
We need to spread the word about this Vengeance X Ryzen compatibility issues. I literally lost 2 days troubleshooting and $50 bucks, I could not have figure it out by myself. Corsair has to fix their stuff.

Reactions: NerdyVixen
It is known by most who work with Ryzen systems regularly. To be honest, I'd just sell the memory or keep it as a backup for something else. No way I'd pay a fifty dollar restocking fee. You'd likely get more of your money back just selling it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace to somebody that needs it than you will returning it and losing fifty bucks on the deal.

Figured the memory itself was the problem. Always seems to be on these Ryzen systems. G.Skill Ripjaws and Trident Z kits are WAY more willing to play nice with Ryzen platforms, and well let's be honest, Intel as well, than most of the Vengeance kits are and the main reason is that Corsair just uses way too many different (Whatever they have on hand I guess) types of ICs when they do production runs. What they used for the same model last week might not be the same as what they use for the same model when doing another production run this week, so it is always hit or miss if a Vengeance kit is going to work on a given generation of Ryzen platform or a given motherboard.

Good luck to you man.

I'm having this same issue, but with LPX Corsair memory. I am not having any BSODs, but I am having system instabilities and random unexplained freezes.

Do we still assume that it's the fault of the memory when memory testing does not reveal any errors?

My memory is two of the same model (but not a kit): CMK16GX4M1Z3600C18. This is a 16GB module made by Micron and I have a Asus Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II motherboard and a R5 5600X processor. The modules are not in the motherboard's QVL, but I am able to find very few with reasonable prices (I'm outside the USA) which are in that list.

I think I should mention here that the modules are literally siblings - one of them has a serial number xxx75 and the other xxx76. Does this make them as good as a kit? Some software (like ZenTimings) actually identifies them by a kit part number - CMK32GX4M2Z3600C18.

If I add the fourth slot and, in the BIOS, I set it to D.O.C.P. and it automatically sets the Memory to its default max speed 3200 MHz the system post on Safe Mode BIOS, and I never get to load windows, it loops back to BIOS Safe Mode reporting instability and asking for changes.
I should add that this happens to me as well. The two RAM modules don't work on the A1 and B1 slots at 3600 MHz (manufacturer recommends A2 and B2). The system goes into a reboot loop, then safe mode with the modules running at 2666MHz (highest non-XMP frequency of these modules).

Vengeance LPX memory very RARELY works, or works well, with Ryzen consumer platforms. The fact that those sticks have sequential serial numbers doesn't mean anything at all. MANY sticks that came from the exact same production run will not work together, or will work together but will have "issues". This is why sticks are tested for compatibility before they are put into kits together at the factory.

I should add that this happens to me as well. The two RAM modules don't work on the A1 and B1 slots at 3600 MHz (manufacturer recommends A2 and B2). The system goes into a reboot loop, then safe mode with the modules running at 2666MHz (highest non-XMP frequency of these modules).
You need to open up your own thread, with your own issues, and the community will get back to you.

You can't hijack someone else thread: Forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.