Question Ryzen first gen temperature and upgrade suggestions

Apr 9, 2019
Currently i have a R5 1600X with a CoolerMaster Air G100L.
Usually the CPU idles at mid 50s and usually maxes out at 75c at ANYTHING. Gaming or AIDA64. Just gets pinned and stays there but it also seems to downclock. Any ideas about that ? Does 1st gen thermal throttle at 75c ? I know that cooler is bad and not designed for this CPU but still wondering.
I am going to be upgrading my GPU and hopefully getting a new cooler. I was looking at the Arctic Freezer 34 Esports. So i want to know what i should do. Since saving a bit more could get me a better GPU. Is the Freezer a good upgrade or should i do something else like upgrade the case ? It is a bad prebuilt case with little airflow,top psu design and 1 exhaust fan mount. Yeah kind of a mess.

Thank you for the replies in advance! <3

Apr 9, 2019
official throttle is ~90. Below 80 under load is good, you have nothing to worry about. 50 at idle is a little bit high but not alarming.
I have heard people say it does start throttling at 75c. And also i do notice really weird voltage spikes and temp spikes randomly during idle or light load like a browser and it could usually go up to 1.4 or 1.5V and 60 ish C. Its really weird that it maxes out at 75C on anything from League to AIDA 64.

Apr 9, 2019
I have heard people say it does start throttling at 75c. And also i do notice really weird voltage spikes and temp spikes randomly during idle or light load like a browser and it could usually go up to 1.4 or 1.5V and 60 ish C. Its really weird that it maxes out at 75C on anything from League to AIDA 64.
And it stays below base clock during those 75c.

Apr 9, 2019
Someone else on my old thread from around 2 months ago told me to invest in a better case without the top mounted PSU and a better cooler so i don't even know what to believe anymore. But thank you for the information. I guess we gotta listen to other opinions aswell and see.
The case does get pretty toasty to the touch under load.

I disagree with vapour a little. I've a 1600x. 50c idle is way high! Your temps should be approx 30-33 idle, 45-65 gaming, 65-80c (max) stress load, id agree it's not alarming, but it's defo not great at all.

When you say your max temps at load are 75c (running Aida), i suspect if you run Prime 95, your temps will prob hit about 90c. On a balanced Ryzen system, even running Prime 95 small ffts (ver 26.6) your temps should not go above 80c. This is dependent on the cooler and one or two other things (Voltage, ambient temps).

Your current cooler is inadequate. The one you are replacing it with is much better, and will reduce your temps by about 10c IMO.

Don't worry about the voltage spikes. If you are not Overclocking and your system is on stock, those voltage spikes are normal. It happens when the PB (precision boost) kicks in and bumps one or two cores to it's maximum frequency. So the voltage will go from, lets say 1.275 to 1.4, and even 1.5v for a split second. This is normal, and does no harm to the CPU. Naturally it's not meant to stay anywhere near 1.4/1.5v for sustained periods. But that's how PB works. It's actually quite good.

Apr 9, 2019
I disagree with vapour a little. I've a 1600x. 50c idle is way high! Your temps should be approx 30-33 idle, 45-65 gaming, 65-80c (max) stress load, id agree it's not alarming, but it's defo not great at all.

When you say your max temps at load are 75c (running Aida), i suspect if you run Prime 95, your temps will prob hit about 90c. On a balanced Ryzen system, even running Prime 95 small ffts (ver 26.6) your temps should not go above 80c. This is dependent on the cooler and one or two other things (Voltage, ambient temps).

Your current cooler is inadequate. The one you are replacing it with is much better, and will reduce your temps by about 10c IMO.

Don't worry about the voltage spikes. If you are not Overclocking and your system is on stock, those voltage spikes are normal. It happens when the PB (precision boost) kicks in and bumps one or two cores to it's maximum frequency. So the voltage will go from, lets say 1.275 to 1.4, and even 1.5v for a split second. This is normal, and does no harm to the CPU. Naturally it's not meant to stay anywhere near 1.4/1.5v for sustained periods. But that's how PB works. It's actually quite good.
I guessed so. I could try running Prime too. My ambient are pretty high 30s or something considering my room is not air conditioned.

Apr 9, 2019

So i ran Prime95 for 10 mins on Small FFTS and it still maxes out at 75c but voltage is sitting at 1V and around 3 GHZ or less not even base clock.