Ryzen Giveaway And 'Owlboy': Community Roundup (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
How about this for a community comment...

Stop with the auto-play videos. Yes, I've disabled them in my browser but WORSE yet is that the d*mned thing now tracks us down the right panel. IF we wanted to watch the video, we'd watch it in it's native box. IF we have scrolled past it, we obviously DO NOT want to see it. Stop chasing us with it. How hard is it to not annoy your user base? 1990s web design at its worst. And yes, I close that stupid little pop-up out of spite every time.

I do not 'block' your ads, yet, but it's getting harder to not do so. How can your sister publications manage to not be so obnoxious with their sites, yet Tom's can't?

SuperFist

Honorable
Mar 23, 2017

^^ YUP! ^^

Another comment from the same vein. PLEASE STOP with the random "sign up for our newsletter" pop-ups when we click on something, ESPECIALLY the login button, PLEASE. It makes you seem desperate and feels like your begging... in addition to irritating.

Fiqar_

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hi there everyone, so i just joined tom's hardware and it looks absolutely brilliant. The community is regularly active and provides a lot of good information for the less experienced members to read. I am humbled to be part of such a great virtual atmosphere and hope that some day soon, i will also contribute to Tom's Hardware as a professional.

You don't have to be a professional, just try to be sane, logical, and have an open mind :) Welcome to the forums.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Hey Fiqar! Thanks for joining. Glad to have you on board.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll let the team know.

Here's my feedback. It's not very good but I haven't even had a full cup of coffee yet this morning. Create an official Tom's Hardware twitch channel. Stream something once in awhile. I'd love to dump my twitch prime sub there to help support Tom's.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Actually, we do live streams almost weekly. We've taken a brief hiatus on account of E3, but Rexly should be back to streaming once that's over. To stay up to date on all our live streams make sure to check in regularly to the PC Gaming forum and join the official Tom's Hardware Steam group.

Littlun

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Strange to see the giveaway keyboard named the Viper V770 - that was the exact moniker of my TNT2 video card way back in the day!

dmb77

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Those specs on the TNT2 just look funny now. I remember thinking how awesome my voodoo 2 was running quake2 at over 30fps. That seemed so fast then.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One can't help but see the irony of the fact Tom's ran numerous articles on NN, yet see's no problem wasting huge amounts of bandwidth on streaming add's that they are lucky if 1/2 of 1% of their viewer ship actually watches.

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Honestly, I use an ad blocker simply because it seems companies don't know how to design a website with ads that aren't obnoxious or super intrusive.

If I use a site frequently I'll turn the ad blocker off for a while and see what their design is like with ads... if it's terrible with *ads in the middle of articles* or *Auto-playing videos* or just plainly *more space for ads than content* then the ad blocker goes back on for that site.

Seriously, just advertise responsibly, minimally and keep it away from the centre of the page or the main content. Don't have infuriating pop-ups that *repeatedly beg for subscriptions to newsletters* and especially auto-playing videos.

You wouldn't want your waiter coming by and giving you a menu and while your reading it he starts asking if you'd like a loyalty card then while you order your meals he starts asking if you'd like to the Car Mechanics next door!

I believe the problem, outside of websites to fund their sites/business with web ads not building correctly for ads or vetting them, is ad vendors with unscrupulous business practices where they don't really care what ads they include in as so much as they get paid to run them.

Case in point, using a mobile device and clicking on an article that shows up in your feed, just to have some ad hijack your screen to redirect you to download something... and the only way out is to back out of the website you wanted to view. Other cases exist where websites are plastered with inappropriate advertisements without consent of the website or the visitor.

genz

Distinguished

Toms gets paid the moment it loads, so regardless of if you plan to watch it or not it's doing it's job. They get paid more if you watch it of course, but the point is that autoplay is due to the profitability of running sites like this going through the floor due to adblock and noscript essentially cutting forum and web newspaper revenue almost totally.

I gave TH a second chance and had disabled my add blocker but after these pop ups and videos playing I went testing add blockers. Ublock origins for chrome blocks this popup and all adds. By default it doesn't block the video but you use there zapper feature and it at least stops the video from loading, you still see the player but nothing plays. So here we are I block any advertising from them now, not because I wanted to as I like them to make money, but because the obtrusive nature of the adds. Frankly if I read this at work the adds would make my coworkers wonder what the heck am I doing as some are pretty over the top scantily clad girls etc not something I want to pull up in a professional environment.

I mentioned this in another thread, but this is probably the better place to mention it:

Does anyone know what's going on with the main front page ( www.tomshardware.com ) I've been getting mostly Error 500 messages most of the time I try to access it. Apparently since the upgrade this has taken effect.

From what I heard back there (not much help as Firefox's Private Mode or regular mode makes no difference for me)...

THIS issue will keep all first-time visitors away AND discourage and/or irritate many others.

clear you cookies. Toms updated their login system which requires you to log out and back in under the new system. But people have reported their being problems with their old cookies interfering with the new system.

Private and Incognito modes are supposed to clear all cookies and the cache upon exit, yet the error still can show up. However, I will give this a shot the next time this happens, just to eliminate the possibility of a conflicting cookie situation.

Clearing cookies does not fix the issue.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Please manually clear your cookies by going into Settings of Google Chrome.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I've been reading Tom's for about 17 years now, and I'm convinced they've grown to loath their readers. Why else would they come up with all these infuriating ads and pop ups and other perplexing frustrations?

Mobile has to be the worst. Autoplaying video ad, with an ad on the bottom (you know, the kind that somehow slows the page down), then a pop up to get your to sign up for notifications ON TOP of the ad. Upon loading this article, the only thing I could actually SEE was the title. After scrolling past the video ad, declining the annoying notifications, and closing the ad, I could see the title and two paragraphs.

Please respect your readers, and your readers will respect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS