[SOLVED] Ryzen integrated graphics vs an older discrete card

Mar 23, 2022
Short version: I'm wondering how the Ryzen integrated graphics ("G" versions) would compare to an old GTX 650 Ti.

Long Version: I'm slowly piecing together a new build on a moderate budget. Ideally I would buy a new graphics card, but…well, you know. I recently saw that AMD is releasing (or releasing to non-OEM) some new budget CPUs in a few weeks, including Ryzen 5 4600G. It's listed for about $25 more than the essentially identical non-G version. I guess I'm kind of skeptical of integrated graphics, but I've heard that they are actually good these days. Now my other option is that I do have a ten year old GTX 650 Ti I could harvest from another computer. It still holds up alright, but it shows its age.

My question is how well the "G" will perform relative to the GTX 650 Ti. I'm not necessarily looking for benchmarks, just some general advice. e.g. "You won't be able to tell much of a difference," or, "The Ryzen graphics will definitely outperform the GTX," etc. If the GTX is better or identical, I'll either save the $25 or more likely, spend the same money on a better CPU (Ryzen 5 5500). Eventually, the plan would be to get a discrete card once prices become reasonable again.

Bonus points: I assume the "G" isn't the same on all chips. Is there a particular spec I should look for or does it just inherently scale with the CPU specs?

Solution
If I remember correctly, 3000 G series are just a bit better than 650ti and 5000 G series can reach up to 1050 ti levels. 4000 G series should be between those.

The ONLY downside I see when you use integrated graphics is the system's ram that is reserved for it. But when you have enough ram then it's nothing to be concerned of.

For the bonus question, most of the time, the higher the number of CPU, the better the igpu. First number is generation, second number is tier of CPU which when you compare within the same generation, the higher, the better.
If I remember correctly, 3000 G series are just a bit better than 650ti and 5000 G series can reach up to 1050 ti levels. 4000 G series should be between those.

The ONLY downside I see when you use integrated graphics is the system's ram that is reserved for it. But when you have enough ram then it's nothing to be concerned of.

For the bonus question, most of the time, the higher the number of CPU, the better the igpu. First number is generation, second number is tier of CPU which when you compare within the same generation, the higher, the better.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
The 650ti is probably a little faster, technically, but there is no driver support for it, so your mileage may vary. If this is a new build, I would recommend looking at an i3 12100f, or better yet the 12400f, instead. The 12400f isn't much more than what the 4650g is going to be, and will be a lot faster.

TRENDING THREADS