[SOLVED] Ryzen Master/PBO question

Ive been running PBO in ryzen master on my 5600X and during gaming, Ive noticed my cpu temps are cooler even though my cores are running at 4.4-4.5GHz with the 2 best cores boosting to 4.65GHz but temps are not even hitting 60 degrees, just mid to late 50's. I thought PBO slightly stresses your cores and they generally run at higher temps? Ive been playing The Avengers with no undervolting or changes to BIOS, not that Im complaining...

Solution
Ive been running PBO in ryzen master on my 5600X and during gaming, Ive noticed my cpu temps are cooler even though my cores are running at 4.4-4.5GHz with the 2 best cores boosting to 4.65GHz but temps are not even hitting 60 degrees, just mid to late 50's. I thought PBO slightly stresses your cores and they generally run at higher temps? Ive been playing The Avengers with no undervolting or changes to BIOS, not that Im complaining...
Running PBO expands the boost margins, so it can run higher boost frequencies and longer. Thermals will show it more when the CPU's being used harder than most gaming stresses it. You might try comparing temps running Cinebench r20 or r23 in a multi-thread test, but be sure to also compare the...
It all hinges on CPU voltages, if they stay low so will temps. PBO is just another step in optimizing boost.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I thought PBO slightly stresses your cores and they generally run at higher temps?
Precision boost OVERRIDE will use more power and create more heat but you will only notice that in stress tests, games use much less power than stress tests do so they cancel each other out basically and it will also be lower than an all core overclock because there you have to boost all cores while PBO, as you already noticed, boosts each core individually.

Running PBO expands the boost margins, so it can run higher boost frequencies and longer. Thermals will show it more when the CPU's being used harder than most gaming stresses it. You might try comparing temps running Cinebench r20 or r23 in a multi-thread test, but be sure to also compare the average core clocks during the test.

Also, what cooler are you using? if it's really good that will help holding down the temps.

Solution
Running PBO expands the boost margins, so it can run higher boost frequencies and longer. Thermals will show it more when the CPU's being used harder than most gaming stresses it. You might try comparing temps running Cinebench r20 or r23 in a multi-thread test, but be sure to also compare the average core clocks during the test.

Also, what cooler are you using? if it's really good that will help holding down the temps.
I see what you mean. Running CB20, I have a be quiet, dark rock slim.

At Stock PBO

temp 55 70
clock speed 4150 4420
score 4068 4348

Thanks for the info guys!

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I see what you mean. Running CB20, I have a be quiet, dark rock slim.

At Stock PBO

temp 55 70
clock speed 4150 4420
score 4068 4348

Thanks for the info guys!
So...technically, you've overclocked a 5600X by 280Mhz with PBO.

Not bad, but thermals show it now. A Dark Rock Slim is definitely an improvement on the stock Wraithe cooler but I wonder just how much a truly heroic cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4??) on it might improve clocks and scores if it can keep the temps in the 60's.

Maybe not worth it, but Ryzen's so thermally sensitive it does make ya wonder.

Last edited:
Ive got 4.8GHz using CTR but to be honest, i dont need to OC, just ego boosting when Im bored. Ive since downloaded his new Hydra software but it's a little out of my depth so havnt used it yet.
Is the 4.8Ghz all-core? What voltage did CTR settle on for it?

Have you run a CBr20 benchmark test run at the CTR settings? how did it turn out...temps as well as score.

Last edited:
Is the 4.8Ghz all-core? What voltage did CTR settle on for it?

Have you run a CBr20 benchmark test run at the CTR settings? how did it turn out...temps as well as score.
I havnt used CTR for awhile but I just ran CB20 with it, I got 4.4GHz on all cores, voltage was 1.1, max temp of 57 and a score of 4280. Sorry, meant to say the 4.8GHz boost was for my top 2 cores. I think I manged to OC all cores to 4.6GHz in the past though but it wasnt that stable. With a lot of tweaking people can get better results though but it's a little out of my comfort zone, Hydra is supposed to be a lot more better and much more 'tweakable.'

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Strange. My 3700x gets 5000 with CTR2 running CBr20. I prefer it to Ryzen Master, which topped out at 4820 and worse temps, even though it was 4.4GHz all core instead of the 4.28GHz all core and 4.4GHz 4core.

Ryzens are strange beasts, not hard to get better performance from cores that aren't seeing max.

I haven't seen any real use for pbo as such. It's only really half the equation with performance boosts and most Ryzens don't really see any gains with it over what CTR can do on its own, with better voltages. You are almost forced to use Ryzen master to balance the equation and pick up the other half.