learn2farm

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Ryzen master wont allow me to toggle the SMT to disabled. In my bios I have it turned off, and atm its off on the initial ryzen master page but any overclcocking i do will have it enabled because the toggle is unresponsive gonna do mobo oc but like using software to find stability bc its much faster and doesnt usually require system reboots.

I suggest you leave SMT alone.
When 1st Gen Ryzen was released it did improve performance is some games when it was disabled.
At the moment, after developers implemented Ryzen optimizations, there is either not difference in performance or the performance could decrease depending on the game or app tittle.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you on the "current" tab, opposed to a profile? Nothing can be changed in "current", but once you go to "profile 1" you should be able to make changes & then apply the profile.

12345.png

Agreed as above though, probably not necessary outside of a few select scenarios.

learn2farm

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Oh yes I tried all the tabs including the custom ones default named profile1 and profile2. However I believe its irrelevant because after reading the ryzen manual it says it requires a restart to change smt setting anyway. I have the 1700x bought it on release some time ago, an im aware that the bios updates ive done has gotten rid of the performance issue when smt was enabled where i believe it wouldnt differentiate logical from physical and i have the most recent bios on my mobo. An I have tested personally dont notice more fps with smt off now, however SMT does require more power to function and more than likely on the fringe overclocks it prolly reduces stability a little by making the cores slightly less efficient, or just needing more juice to operate at the same clockrate... this is just my suspicion after seeing diagrams showing SMT increases power draw of the cpu in benchmarks.. in real world dont know yet also been hearing a better oc for gaming can be attained with 6c/12t freeing up even more juice that smt off to stabilize the active cores without drawing so much to cause heat issues. My ryzen is water cooled as well, because when i purchased mine the x models shipped with no cooler.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It certainly should require a reboot, yes - but that shouldn't remove the option to enable/disable in RyzenMaster - it should just then force a reboot.

While in theory, less cores should = less power draw = better OC.
The limiting factor with Ryzen though, isn't typically power, it's clocks. You can pump more voltage, increase power targets etc and I highly doubt you'll see any noticeable difference in OCs obtained without SMT enabled vs with.