• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Ryzen Master switching to "manual overclock" mode and CPU running cooler (Ryzen 53600)

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I'm running a Ryzen 5 3600 that I bought a few months ago. I am cooling it with a Noctua-U12s chromax black.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and noticed today that the PPT, TEDC, and EDC had changed. The PPT, which is usually set to 88w, is now 1000w. The EDC is set to 170a instead of 90. The EDC is also higher but I don't remember the original number. (Screenshot below). I noticed that under "control mode" it said "manual," even though I haven't made any changes to RM and just use it to track temps (CoreTemp kept reporting 10-15 higher degrees than RM when I first bought the CPU).

I figured that the OC mode had switched from off to manual, and was going to change it back until I noticed the temps. Usually while playing AC Odyssey, the CPU temps fluctuate between 60-upper 70s....but now that it's in manual OC mode, the temps just fluctuate between upper 40s-upper 50s while playing.

So, a three part question:
  1. Why did RM switch overclock modes without me changing it?
  2. Why are the temperatures cooler with all of these higher thermal and power limits?
  3. Is it safe for me to just...let the computer continue to run like this?
Screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/t7LvHLU

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS