[SOLVED] Ryzen Masters showing very low bogus cloc speeds, why?

sarxin

Honorable
Sep 27, 2017
I am not really sure why it is showing such slow cock speeds when Core Temp and MSI Afterburner is showing what I think is the correct higher clock speeds.

DyWs3S

I know this is not correct because I run applications that would run way too slow if this were the real clock speeds so why is it showing me the wrong clock speeds on Ryzen Masters?

Solution
According to AMD only Ryzen Master and HWInfo show the true clock speeds.
I believe the other programs use an approximation that does NOT take into account the fact that most Ryzen cores will be asleep and only a few will clock up.

Read this for more technical Info regarding Discrete vs Effective clocks:
Effective clock vs instant (discrete) clock | HWiNFO Forum
On Zen2 (Matisse) systems this method can provide results closer to Ryzen Master (RM) per-core clock values, especially because it respects sleeping cores. It is assumed that such cores are marked as sleeping by RM when the effective (average) clock is below a certain threshold (somewhere around 50 MHz and below). Please note, that RM uses a different...

sarxin

Honorable
Sep 27, 2017
Those are in fact the real clock speeds.
Most Ryzen cores clock all the way down to zero at idle (they go to sleep).
Open HWInfo and look at the Effective Clock Speeds.
View: https://imgur.com/f1pslzK

View: https://imgur.com/undefined

Hmm ok fair enough I'll check that but if this is so why is my performance still so high in games if those are my real clock speeds? I had the windows open on my 2nd monitor while playing some demanding game that should not be able to run with those clock speeds as reported there.

EDIT: And where is the values from Core Temp coming from then because looking back at the graph I could not find any of the cores reaching those values as they are reported on those other programs.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Hmm ok fair enough I'll check that but if this is so why is my performance still so high in games if those are my real clock speeds? I had the windows open on my 2nd monitor while playing some demanding game that should not be able to run with those clock speeds as reported there.
Not all games tax the CPU, they are more GPU demanding.
Many games I play only utilize my CPU to about 30-50% but put a 99-100% load on my GPU.
And many games only use 1 or 2 CPU cores.

EDIT: And where is the values from Core Temp coming from then because looking back at the graph I could not find any of the cores reaching those values as they are reported on those other programs.
They probably display clocks similar to the Core Clocks in HWInfo that don't take into account that Ryzen CPU Cores go all the way to zero (sleep).

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler

sarxin

Honorable
Sep 27, 2017
Not all games tax the CPU, they are more GPU demanding.
Many games I play only utilize my CPU to about 30-50% but put a 99-100% load on my GPU.
And many games only use 1 or 2 CPU cores.

Ok but where is the discrepancy coming from. The CPU-Z, Core Temp, MSI After Burner all report a much higher clock speed than what is reported in the Ryzen Masters at the same time side by side. And looking back at the graph I can't find a single time the clock speed was matched to what is reported in the other programs. Furthermore with my old CPU I was running at that clock speed and the game I was playing was lagging and was much slower and less fluid than it is now supposedly with the same the clock speed that is being reported or lower in some cases. I can't help to feel like the other programs are showing me the correct speed otherwise the game would not play as well as it does .

I just applied a manual overclock yet the Ryzen Master still showing me speeds in 3.000ghz while every other monitor software shows the correct 4.5ghz OC.

EDIT: The only time its showing me the correct speed on the Ryzen Software is when I run the Prime95 stress test.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I believe the other programs use an approximation that does NOT take into account the fact that most Ryzen cores will be asleep and only a few will clock up.

On Zen2 (Matisse) systems this method can provide results closer to Ryzen Master (RM) per-core clock values, especially because it respects sleeping cores. It is assumed that such cores are marked as sleeping by RM when the effective (average) clock is below a certain threshold (somewhere around 50 MHz and below). Please note, that RM uses a different (proprietary) technique to measure clocks, so there might be some differences between the effective clock in HWiNFO and RM. While we work with AMD on the best way to access more accurate data to measure clock and voltage values, this remains the only method. Additionally, the current effective clock method is an architectural feature meaning that it doesn't depend on a certain CPU model, but is rather universal across a broad range of CPU families.

FYI,
While gaming my CPU is usually at around 4.3-4.4 GHz on 2 or so cores and the rest are sleeping.

This is a screen with Ryzen Master showing the correct clocks when running the CPUz Benchmark:
View: https://imgur.com/RkRECE6

Does yours show the clocks boosting like that ?
If not then I would Uninstall Ryzen Master and Reboot and Download then Install the Newest Version.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution

sarxin

Honorable
Sep 27, 2017

FYI,
While gaming my CPU is usually at around 4.3-4.4 GHz on 2 or so cores and the rest are sleeping.

This is a screen with Ryzen Master showing the correct clocks when running the CPUz Benchmark:
View: https://imgur.com/RkRECE6

Does yours show the clocks boosting like that ?
If not then I would Uninstall Ryzen Master and Reboot and Download then Install the Newest Version.

Could you show me your Histogram while in some game (not stress testing software)?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Hey DMAN999

Op What version of R M are you using ?
Is this the same version you were using on the older cpu ?
Hello Crosslhs82x2,
I am using Version 2.6.0.1702 which I got by updating within Ryzen Master.

sarxin,
Here are Screens of Ryzen Master and another of Afterburner while playing RDR2:
View: https://imgur.com/vcVp8Sc
Apparently RDR2 can use all 8 cores of my 3700x.

View: https://imgur.com/WqaAl7T
And Afterburner shows the Discrete clocks (not the effective Clocks).
But it also show CPU usage at only 31% and GPU usage at 80%.
View: https://imgur.com/1X9mdGW

Last edited: