[SOLVED] ryzen now or wait?

Flow483

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help and information.

I am upgrading my pc and everything is being built around the 3080.

I have two main routes I can take when upgrading and im just having trouble dedciding which one, or if my logic is rational :)

Option 1:
Wait until 4th gen ryzen comes out and by a b550-F mobo or a B570 verison with a 4700 model. Correct me if im wrong but either one will work fine and b550-f has incredible reviews for a cheaper price. If i take this route, it means (I dont have to) but will have to upgrade my mobo and new CPU for 5th gen material If i want it.

Option 2:
Keep my current b450-f mobo and buy a 3800XT. and then when new mobo and chips come out upgrade the the 5th gen components which should be sometime in 2022?

This is clearly a high level overview of information and there are pro and cons for each one and without knowing much about new chips and 5th gen hard to make a decision, But i guess i was looking for additional insights. If i need to clarify anything let me know!

Thanks

Solution
Buy the 3080 as if you weren't going to upgrade the rest of the computer anyway. Then figure out where things improved, where things didn't, and if you care about those things that didn't improve.

That should sway your decision on whether or not to get a CPU upgrade or a system upgrade.
Buy the 3080 as if you weren't going to upgrade the rest of the computer anyway. Then figure out where things improved, where things didn't, and if you care about those things that didn't improve.

That should sway your decision on whether or not to get a CPU upgrade or a system upgrade.

Solution
yeah im buying the 3080 regardless like you said. but my current CPU is gross. so i need a new cpu either way. I have the 2700x. really need that upgraded.
If anything, I'd say wait to see what the newer chips will improve. Stores will also have inventory clearing sales (possibly), so you may be able to get a good deal on say a 3900X or something.

Either way, I'd say it's better to wait and see what happens.

so you dont have reservations on my 2700x "bottlenecking" the 3080? i know bottleneck is such a generic term but i just wonder how much it will make a difference
I don't because I have a different set of what I want out of a computer than you.

Besides that, I don't think a 2700X will bottleneck a 3080 all that much if at all. Or at least to the point where it makes a 3080 look like a 2080.