Ryzen or Intel for gaming

Jan 7, 2019
Im building a pc for the first time with a rtx 2060 when it comes out soon and i want to hear others opinions in terms of the difference between the Ryzen 7 2700x, the i5 9600k, and the i7 8700k... so far it seems intel has higher fps but i also want to consider future proofing. I have a 60hz monitor and would like to get a 144hz eventually at 1080p. Ryzen, 9600k or 8700k? I would use the computer for spreadsheets, games like bf5 and cod, and possibly music software.

Solution
9600k for sure, due to faster single core compared to ryzen. ryzen can not reach 144 fps in AAA titles, at least for now.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

For pure gaming the 9600k is going to suit your needs just fine, But if you plan to do work related tasks and/or anything that requires a multicore performance the 2700x is going to put the smackdown on it real quick. If you're also willing to wait, you may wanna check out what the new Ryzen chips will offer, as the current speculations place them way above intel's current line. And As a matter of fact vapour, my setup (listed in sig) achieves 140~fps on ultra settings ray-tracing enabled on BF5. And in (most) AAA games they are more optimized and dependent on GPU's, rather than the CPU.
Also, the motherboards for the intel sockets tend to run more expensive, IMO, but thats small potatos in this equation.

Edit: Resolution is only 1080p @ 144hz, important to note*

boju

Titan
Ambassador

https://www.techspot.com/review/1759-ray-tracing-benchmarks-vol-2/

2018-12-06-image-9.png

2018-12-06-image-11.png

They only manage just over 70fps on low RTX. I doubt you're getting 140fps.

lthampton

Notable
Jan 8, 2019

*EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!!* Ray tracing was infact disabled, i do sincerely apoligse for the mis-information. Was wondering why everyone said it was slowing everything down when i wasn't noticing it. Once more, definite apology there.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Intel will game better due to higher turbo frequencies. If you plan on doing ANY productivity at all with this system in the next 3-5 years, i'd recommend going with an i7 with hyperthreading now. The extra thread count will do real good for you. Even though it's from last generation, i'd go with the 8700k.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Lol, all good dude.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from matdood56 : "Ryzen 7-2700x vs Core i5-9600k"

Somewhat true but plenty of new games chew through 8-16 threads now. Older stuff your dead on but almost every new AAA game I have bought in the last 2 years will happily use all 12 of my threads fairly evenly.