[SOLVED] ryzen or intel for rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
thanks again for your reply .. one more question if you don't mind , which mobo should i get for i7 9700k with rx 580 ?
I'm not going to make a specific recommendation as I have a rule for picking a motherboard. Just pick one from a company you trust that has the features you want/need. Don't spend extra for features you'll never use. In many cases a reasonable motherboard with save you money and be just as serviceable as a super high end one. As I don't know your needs and don't know which companies you trust I'll abstain from suggesting one. I generally go with Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, or Asus though. I've had good luck with all of them, Gigabyte being the brand I choose most often, mostly just because of features I want at the...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
According to this 3ds Max can use as many cores and threads as you have and the more the better:
https://www.titancomputers.com/Workstation-Computer-for-3DS-Max-s/89.htm

So I would recommend a Ryzen 9 3900x or at the very least a 3800x based rig.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

And if you go with a Ryzen 9 3900x or 3800x, then I would also recommend 16 or 32 GBs of 3600 Mhz RAM, since 3600 MHz seems to hit the sweet spot for performance on a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
I would also recommend at least a quality 550W or 650W PSU.
450W is cutting it too close IMO.

Last edited:
In all honesty, you could go with either AMD or Intel at this point, but right up until 3rd gen Ryzen, Intel was the way to go. I still think Intel holds the edge though. Getting something like an i7 9700K would probably be the best bet on the Intel side of things, but you could probably get similar performance from a Ryzen 7 3700x, maybe even better. Don't get a 9900K, the additional performance comes at too high a cost... unless you just have the money to burn.

So, about that RTX 2060. It isn't going to be super great for rendering. It will do the job, but NVidia essentially cripples performance on consumer cards in the drivers. You're probably going to want to get either an AMD card of the Vega persuasion, or even better an NVidia Quadro. Quadro cards are GREAT for rendering and working in CAD.

Reactions: Mrgr74 and DMAN999

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
In all honesty, you could go with either AMD or Intel at this point, but right up until 3rd gen Ryzen, Intel was the way to go. I still think Intel holds the edge though. Getting something like an i7 9700K would probably be the best bet on the Intel side of things, but you could probably get similar performance from a Ryzen 7 3700x, maybe even better. Don't get a 9900K, the additional performance comes at too high a cost... unless you just have the money to burn.

So, about that RTX 2060. It isn't going to be super great for rendering. It will do the job, but NVidia essentially cripples performance on consumer cards in the drivers. You're probably going to want to get either an AMD card of the Vega persuasion, or even better an NVidia Quadro. Quadro cards are GREAT for rendering and working in CAD.
thank you for your reply ... i should've been more specific tbh i didn't expect these prices . i was wrong when i said open budget i can't go above 1500$ ... but i still don't know which cpu to get
and they don't sell any quadro cards where i am living so the only change i can make is to get a 2070 instead, you think it's worth it ?

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
According to this 3ds Max can use as many cores and threads as you have and the more the better:
https://www.titancomputers.com/Workstation-Computer-for-3DS-Max-s/89.htm

So I would recommend a Ryzen 9 3900x or at the very least a 3800x based rig.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

And if you go with a Ryzen 9 3900x or 3800x, then I would also recommend 16 or 32 GBs of 3600 Mhz RAM, since 3600 MHz seems to hit the sweet spot for performance on a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
I would also recommend at least a quality 550W or 650W PSU.
450W is cutting it too close IMO.
thank you for your reply ... i was wrong when i said i am on open budget .. i didn't expect the parts to be that expensive .. i can spend roughly 1500$ on the rig so i can't buy Ryzen 9 3900x ... so could you give me another suggestion

thank you for your reply ... i should've been more specific tbh i didn't expect these prices . i was wrong when i said open budget i can't go above 1500$ ... but i still don't know which cpu to get
and they don't sell any quadro cards where i am living so the only change i can make is to get a 2070 instead, you think it's worth it ?
If you can't get a Quadro, then going AMD Vega would get you your best performance. Something like the Vega 56 or Vega 64 is going to work better for productivity than an RTX 2080.

thanks again for your reply .. one more question if you don't mind , which mobo should i get for i7 9700k with rx 580 ?
I'm not going to make a specific recommendation as I have a rule for picking a motherboard. Just pick one from a company you trust that has the features you want/need. Don't spend extra for features you'll never use. In many cases a reasonable motherboard with save you money and be just as serviceable as a super high end one. As I don't know your needs and don't know which companies you trust I'll abstain from suggesting one. I generally go with Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, or Asus though. I've had good luck with all of them, Gigabyte being the brand I choose most often, mostly just because of features I want at the lowest price.

Solution

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
I'm not going to make a specific recommendation as I have a rule for picking a motherboard. Just pick one from a company you trust that has the features you want/need. Don't spend extra for features you'll never use. In many cases a reasonable motherboard with save you money and be just as serviceable as a super high end one. As I don't know your needs and don't know which companies you trust I'll abstain from suggesting one. I generally go with Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, or Asus though. I've had good luck with all of them, Gigabyte being the brand I choose most often, mostly just because of features I want at the lowest price.
i see , thanks alot for your help

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Read this:

It should help you decide between those 2 CPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AutoCad historically is highly single thread strong, so core counts don't really apply but speeds do. AutoCad works consistently better with Intel cpu's and Quadro cards but if that's not on the table, for rendering purposes the faster the card the better.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...Autodesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recommendations

For 3ds Max, that uses Cuda cores and nvidia cards are pretty much required, and again, strong single thread speeds

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...Autodesk-3ds-Max-159/Hardware-Recommendations

For a $1500 budget,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.31 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1239.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-21 11:54 EDT-0400

Autodesk doesn't have much use for massive amounts of vram, at most a Quadro P2000 5Gb card is good ($400). Quadro cards are recommended just for software compatability and reliance, but GeForce cards will work.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/site...ownloads/3dsmax2020_GFX_ResultsAugust2019.pdf

Last edited:

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
Read this:

It should help you decide between those 2 CPUs.
thanks for the link , it's really helpful

DreadKnot

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
AutoCad historically is highly single thread strong, so core counts don't really apply but speeds do. AutoCad works consistently better with Intel cpu's and Quadro cards but if that's not on the table, for rendering purposes the faster the card the better.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...Autodesk-AutoCAD-134/Hardware-Recommendations

For 3ds Max, that uses Cuda cores and nvidia cards are pretty much required, and again, strong single thread speeds

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...Autodesk-3ds-Max-159/Hardware-Recommendations

For a $1500 budget,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.31 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1239.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-21 11:54 EDT-0400

Autodesk doesn't have much use for massive amounts of vram, at most a Quadro P2000 5Gb card is good ($400). Quadro cards are recommended just for software compatability and reliance, but GeForce cards will work.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/site...ownloads/3dsmax2020_GFX_ResultsAugust2019.pdf
i see, well that settles it ... i'll look for quadro cards again and try to get one , if not i'll go for Ge Force but i do have one more question if you don't mind . i see you picked GTX 1660 Ti instead of the RTX 2060 Isn't the rtx 2060 better ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
^ not a bad article. For a general purpose/gaming machine. But a Ryzen / Rx580 build for Autodesk is not going to be all that good, even if it works. The Rx series isn't even on the Autodesk Certified compatability listing. Sony Vegas Pro, then ok, but not so good at all for 3ds Max.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 1660ti is marginally slower than the 2060. In tests, the 2060 was at 17k, the 1660ti at 16.5k, the 1070 at 12k etc.

There was 2 reasons I felt the 1660ti was superior. First was the price. For the difference in gaming fps its simply a far better deal, gaming it's not visibly any different. The second reason is RTX. They cost extra for the DLSS and Ray Tracing ability, which doesn't do anything afaik for AutoCad. So really you'd be paying a premium price for a gimmick, something you'd have no use for.

Now if you used Ray Tracing, then a 2060 would be the better choice, but since Quadro cards are strongly recommended, and do not use RT or DLSS, it'd be a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.