Question RYZEN or INTEL?

Oct 31, 2019
First off, I'm not a gamer. All I do is run a lot of VM's and heavy Photoshop user. Also, I.T. Support stuff and recovery services. I was leaning to Intel because having internal GPU is a nice backup to have in case my video card dies. It has happened to me already.
Also, I was about to pull the trigger on a 9900K but they run really HOT and I use Noctua 15. I don't want to use liquid cooling.
Under these circumstances what cpu would you guys use? I don't mind spending the money for a great product.
Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 14196

Ryzen is the answer then, hands down. 3900x and the most and fastest DDR4 you can afford. Intel has nothing in that price segment to compete running VMs and doing REAL work. The 3600 has built in GPU as well. for multi-threading and real applications, go with Ryzen.

i would always go with no APU and just use a discrete video card. especially if you are photoshopping stuff. so I recommend the 3950x
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3950x

do yourself a big favor too and get the best and fastest SSDs you can, if you could get PCIE 4.0 ones that would be excellent but I doubt they are even available yet, but with the x570 motherboard and that CPU you can use them as soon as they come out. make your file transfers and stuff way faster.

even if you were a gamer, the intel is never needed and way overpriced!! waste of money for literally a few fps

View: https://youtu.be/qGwEg7px2ko

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LWFG001
D

Deleted member 14196

I would use the best cooler you can afford so I would go with something like the Noctua, but the stock is supposedly ok

The Intel 9th gen K suffix processors do not come with a stock cooler.
The noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15s is as good as it gets for an air cooler.
Pay attention to your case which needs to be able to supply fresh air to the cooler.
The i9-9900 processors, to my mind are very good for a variety of purposes.
As to which one, I might try to buy the i9-9900KS which is a well binned 9900K that will run at 5.0 on all cores.
A plus for good binning is that you will run cooler at a given multiplier than lesser bins.
If price is not a big issue, you might also want to look at the i9-99...X processors.
Puget systems sells photoshop machines and has some good articles on effective equipment such as cpu and graphics cards.
Here is one:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Ryzen is the answer then, hands down. 3900x and the most and fastest DDR4 you can afford. Intel has nothing in that price segment to compete running VMs and doing REAL work. The 3600 has built in GPU as well. for multi-threading and real applications, go with Ryzen.

i would always go with no APU and just use a discrete video card. especially if you are photoshopping stuff. so I recommend the 3950x
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3950x

do yourself a big favor too and get the best and fastest SSDs you can, if you could get PCIE 4.0 ones that would be excellent but I doubt they are even available yet, but with the x570 motherboard and that CPU you can use them as soon as they come out. make your file transfers and stuff way faster.

even if you were a gamer, the intel is never needed and way overpriced!! waste of money for literally a few fps

View: https://youtu.be/qGwEg7px2ko
The 3600 does not have a built in GPU.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
What Mandark posted. Good job Mandark.

The only thing I would add is if you're going with SSD hard drives then make sure you have a bullet proof backup software application that can backup data on your SSD drives, as well as image your SSD drives, and save the backups and images to either a NAS or just a large 4TB SATA drive on the same computer.

1. I recommend Novastor PC for the backup software.
  2. If you skip the NAS to save money, then I recommend a Western Digital black for the 4 TB internal SATA backup drive.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
First off, I'm not a gamer. All I do is run a lot of VM's and heavy Photoshop user. Also, I.T. Support stuff and recovery services. I was leaning to Intel because having internal GPU is a nice backup to have in case my video card dies. It has happened to me already.
Also, I was about to pull the trigger on a 9900K but they run really HOT and I use Noctua 15. I don't want to use liquid cooling.
Under these circumstances what cpu would you guys use? I don't mind spending the money for a great product.
Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately...Photoshop loves CPU cycles so if that's your use case, go with a 9900KS. Just buy some stock in your local power company and maybe the dividends will offset the electrical bills.

Internal GPU as a backup for your main GPU? can't you find a super cheap open-box GPU at the computer store to use for that? I have like three or four knocking around in my parts bins I could use for that. It just doesn't sound like a reasonable decision point for processor choice selection. Now what I have heard, is intel's iGPU can be used as an assist in video encoding tasks. That would be a compelling decision point.

But if the PS useage, as heavy as it is, isn't so demanding to take a lot of processing time the other tasks suggest Cores might be to your benefit so a 3900X seems right.

At any case, with processing power as close as it is now I say reward the company that's been most transformative for the average user. And that would be AMD. (In answer to this threads titular question.)

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do not consider any MSI MPG motherboard. Their VRM design is crap, the VRMs will hit 100-120 degrees C which is way too hot. I have the MSi X570 MPG Gaming Pro WiFi and the board overheats really bad. I would stay clear of any X570 boards under $300...

The stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler is barely adequate for the 3900X. I would stick with the Noctua or get the Dark Rock Pro 4 or Assassin III.