[SOLVED] Ryzen overclock question

Oct 23, 2020
hello guys i have my ryzen 3600 overcloked to 4.2ghz and voltage lowered to 1.25 using ryzen master (0 errors using OCCT), but when i want to overclock with bios even at 3.9ghz i had a lot errors right away and im not even lowering the voltage

anyone know the reason of this?

thanks!

Solution
So what does affect performance the most with Ryzen then? Should I focus more on RAM timings, or speed? FCLK?
First is to use PBO, second is cooling...better than stock. Ryzen is very much thermal sensitive and PBO makes it run hotter so better cooling will let it hold the mid-range clocks where it performs best. Actually, either one could be considered first as better cooling is that important.

And also RAM...overclock that if you can with tighter timings, but that does take some tweaking. Get 1Usmus' DRAM Calculator tool to help you with that. Overclocking RAM also runs FCLK faster.

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
When overclocking, you want to go slow and steady. Don't go to a super high speed as fast as you can. You increase the clock speed and voltage until it starts becoming unstable, then you back down a bit.

Oct 23, 2020
When overclocking, you want to go slow and steady. Don't go to a super high speed as fast as you can. You increase the clock speed and voltage until it starts becoming unstable, then you back down a bit.
im wondering why i have been using a profile with the cpu overclocked to 4.2 and voltage decreased to 1.25 this whole week without problems, but i cant even get close to that using bios overclock , whats the differente? im noob in this matter

A full spec list would be helpful.

What type of issues are you having? Is it unstable, and crashing as soon as you hit windows?

sorry i forgot it
ryzen 3600
b450m ds3h
16gb ram 3200

Im testing the stability with a software called OCCT and i'm having multiple errors during the test, but if i overclock with ryzen master i have 0 problems with an even heavier OC.
-with ryzen master i tried 4.2ghz - 1.25v no problems (30min test)
-with bios overclock 3.9ghz with stock voltage i have errors right at the beggining of the test and if i set it to 4ghz windows crash after a couple minutes.
So basically all i want to know is why is that difference, my pc have been working the whole week at 4.2hz with an undervolt smootly, why cant i set the same overclock on bios?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
im wondering why i have been using a profile with the cpu overclocked to 4.2 and voltage decreased to 1.25 this whole week without problems, but i cant even get close to that using bios overclock , whats the differente? im noob in this matter

sorry i forgot it
ryzen 3600
b450m ds3h
16gb ram 3200

Im testing the stability with a software called OCCT and i'm having multiple errors during the test, but if i overclock with ryzen master i have 0 problems with an even heavier OC.
-with ryzen master i tried 4.2ghz - 1.25v no problems (30min test)
-with bios overclock 3.9ghz with stock voltage i have errors right at the beggining of the test and if i set it to 4ghz windows crash after a couple minutes.
So basically all i want to know is why is that difference, my pc have been working the whole week at 4.2hz with an undervolt smootly, why cant i set the same overclock on bios?

You might have an outdated BIOS version. If you know how to, update your BIOS. If not, just look up a guide there are plenty on google, and its pretty easy to do. Try that, and see if it fixes things.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
don't try to look at clocks with ryzen to determine performance. it changes often and way to fast to follow. you have to use a benchmark...Cinebench 20 is the best one. When overclocking using a fixed clock you'll find you're likely to hurt single thread performance, and that hurts gaming.

So what does affect performance the most with Ryzen then? Should I focus more on RAM timings, or speed? FCLK?

First is to use PBO, second is cooling...better than stock. Ryzen is very much thermal sensitive and PBO makes it run hotter so better cooling will let it hold the mid-range clocks where it performs best. Actually, either one could be considered first as better cooling is that important.

And also RAM...overclock that if you can with tighter timings, but that does take some tweaking. Get 1Usmus' DRAM Calculator tool to help you with that. Overclocking RAM also runs FCLK faster.

Solution