[SOLVED] Ryzen overclock

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
I've heard from a reliable source that you get an increase in performance if you go into BIOS and change Gear Down mode to enabled and disable Power Down mode. The recommendation was for a Ryzen 3rd gen but I have a 2nd gen, so I was wondering if you guys agreed with the recommendation and if it works for 2nd gen as well.

Thanks

Solution
GDM is enabled by default for memory speeds greater than DDR4-2667 per the DDR4 spec. GDM allows the RAM to use a clock that’s one half the true DRAM frequency for the purposes of latching (storing a value) on the memory’s command or address buses. This conservative latching can potentially allow for higher clockspeeds, broader compatibility, and better stability.

For overclockers, Geardown Mode will be noteworthy because it also tells the memory subsystem to "disregard" the command rate set in the BIOS. As 1T command rates can be beneficial (though tough to maintain) for performance, the chart below is really asking whether it’s useful to run GDM if the desired memory clockspeed can be achieved...
I've heard from a reliable source that you get an increase in performance if you go into BIOS and change Gear Down mode to enabled and disable Power Down mode. The recommendation was for a Ryzen 3rd gen but I have a 2nd gen, so I was wondering if you guys agreed with the recommendation and if it works for 2nd gen as well.

Thanks
That minimally affects only memory performance and also depends on particular RAM so you will have to try it yourself. Benchmark memory with each setting and see what works best.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Gear Down Mode is always enabled by default, so not sure why it's disabled on your system. But as Mike said, very very small performance improvement. (if memory is in a 2T config, but if 1T then enabling gear down will slow the RAM by a little tiny bit.)

Power Down Mode doesn't necessarily improve performance, but it can improve memory stability. I would leave this disabled if you are at all overclocking your RAM. As RAM doesn't really draw that much power, and i find this feature semi-useless on desktop.

Gear Down Mode is always enabled by default, so not sure why it's disabled on your system. But as Mike said, very very small performance improvement. (if memory is in a 2T config, but if 1T then enabling gear down will slow the RAM by a little tiny bit.)

I took the rule to be only go 'gear down' if it also allows you to go 1T with tighter timings. Otherwise, don't. So, gear down or gear up itself doesn't help performance, it's only what it allows that could help. Also, if it works many timings are supposedly rounded to an even number of clocks.

zx128k

Reputable
GDM is enabled by default for memory speeds greater than DDR4-2667 per the DDR4 spec. GDM allows the RAM to use a clock that’s one half the true DRAM frequency for the purposes of latching (storing a value) on the memory’s command or address buses. This conservative latching can potentially allow for higher clockspeeds, broader compatibility, and better stability.

For overclockers, Geardown Mode will be noteworthy because it also tells the memory subsystem to "disregard" the command rate set in the BIOS. As 1T command rates can be beneficial (though tough to maintain) for performance, the chart below is really asking whether it’s useful to run GDM if the desired memory clockspeed can be achieved.

pastedImage_1.png

source

If you enable GDM and 1T, then a 1T command rate can be ignored.

Solution