Ryzen Overclockers-Help Needed Here!

Hello man

Honorable
Hey guys,

So, once I got my R5 1600, I set about overclocking the thing (why the heck not?). I kind of know what I am doing (did a fair bit of overclocking on FX back in the day) but I am really struggling trying to get over 3.8. 3.8 is prettymuch fine 100% of the time. No crashes. Anything over seems like a literal wall-but oddly enough, some of my settings just don't seem to work.

I chose to enable Cstate or whatever it is called that decreases the frequency when CPU load is low. Guess what, doesn't do a thing. Frequency is allways at 100%

I enabled offset voltage. Guess what, my CPU allways gets the full volatge. I am only adding .1 V, so it sits at 1.33-1.32, but then FALLS under load to 1.3 and crashes. I have load line calibration set to level 2. Would upping it help? Do I need to change phase settings?

Something else weird-the light that flashes at lockup is the DRAM light, not even the CPU light.

I am on an ASUS X370-F Gaming. Upgraded BIOS seemed to help, but hasn't fixed it.

I have my memory set at D.O.C.P 2400 speed (the RAM is 2400 XMP rated)

Ideas?

Solution
Like I said , power saving currently doesnt work when the multiplier is raised on any board as far as im aware.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Read the above , its pretty technical but explains how & why voltage is locked when multiplier overclocking.

1.3v is insanely good for 3.9ghz by the way.
Lucky you ;-)

Ryzen is not a good overclocker at all. The max you can reach is 4ghz 90% of the time but quite a few people don't get over the 3.8ghz barrier even.

Not familiar with the board but yeah if voltage is dropping under load then youre getting vdroop & need to up the llc level.

Upping the multiplier does disable powersaving mate in bios.

Using ryzen master to software overlclock can keep power saving features enabled.

Although seeing as youre using an asus board you can use the asus zenstates software (halfway down that thread) to setup power saving clocks & voltages from within windows.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/10520#post_26033910

You want your current overclock rock solid before you do that though.

Hello man

Honorable

Allright. Looks like AMD (according to someone) has stated that 1.4V is OK for the R5 1600. I will attempt upping the voltage to stabalize. I am still confused as to why offset mode is not decreasing voltage as it should though.

Hello man

Honorable

I must have a good chip then :pt1cable: At 1.33 I am finishing cinebench runs just fine at 3.9 Ghz. Still, there is an issue with the voltage never decreasing. Scares me a bit.

Like I said , power saving currently doesnt work when the multiplier is raised on any board as far as im aware.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Read the above , its pretty technical but explains how & why voltage is locked when multiplier overclocking.

1.3v is insanely good for 3.9ghz by the way.
Lucky you ;-)

Solution

Hello man

Honorable

Yeah, it seems I got luckier than I thought originally. At 1.33-1.34 3.9Ghz is stable enough. Under extreme synthetic load for extended periods (over an hour) I get a crash occasionally. Meh. No video or photo I will ever export will take that long, and no game I have is that intense (use all cores at 100%).