Question Ryzen Overheating

May 25, 2019
Hello, yesterday i built a PC with completely new parts

CPU : Ryzen 5 1600X
CPU Cooler: Wraith stealth (Stock thermal paste)
GPU : RTX 2070 Armor 8GB OC
MOBO : Asus Prime B450 Plus
RAM : Corsair vengeance 16GB 2x8 2666MHZ
PSU : Corsair VS650
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB

When I booted up my for the first time everything worked right. I installed W10 Pro with Flash drive. But my CPU is at 60-70 Degrees Celsius when Idle. I didn't turn on any game because I was scared my CPu might overheat. Any help why this might be overheating ? Sorry for my bad English.

rigg42

Upstanding
Oct 17, 2018
Make sure the cooler has adaquate thermal paste and the cooler is mounted securely.
The wraith stealth should keep a lower idle tem than that at least.
Possibly. Ryzen has odd idle behavior and likes to pump voltage and clocks for even the slightest load. With this bad of a cooler mismatch hiting 70c seems likely when windows is running tasks and apps launch ext. I doubt it's truly at idle when hitting 70c. The power plan affects this too.

Long story short messing around with mounting and thermal paste is a waste of time. He needs a new cooler period. A 65 watt TDP cooler is not a good idea for a 95 watt TDP CPU.

May 25, 2019
this is weird cuz i have a ryzen 5 2400g with stock cooler and my temps while gaming are 62 to 65 max i have seen was 71. i would say try reseating your cooler as other users suggested

Reactions: rigg42
LI have an overclocked ryzen 3 that, while still much weaker than a 1600x, manages to consistently pull much more than 65 watts according to hwmonitor. Still my chip consuming well over 65w doesnt overwhelm my 65w wraith stealth. I have temps in the 60s and low 70s when running it in cpu demanding titles like gtav.

I think it shouldnt be running that hot at idle. I would try reseating and repasting the cooler. You still will likely need a better cooler for more demanding tasks.

Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Upstanding
Oct 17, 2018
LI have an overclocked ryzen 3 that, while still much weaker than a 1600x, manages to consistently pull much more than 65 watts according to hwmonitor. Still my chip consuming well over 65w doesnt overwhelm my 65w wraith stealth. I have temps in the 60s and low 70s when running it in cpu demanding titles like gtav.

I think it shouldnt be running that hot at idle. I would try reseating and repasting the cooler. You still will likely need a better cooler for more demanding tasks.
I don't disagree that there is probably something up here. A re-seat of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste would probably help but it still won't ultimately solve the problem. Those Idle temps do seem a bit high. Its possible the pre applied paste was dried up or the screws aren't all properly torqued.

The stealth works great on a 1200. I think I got mine to 3.9 with the stealth with sub 80c p95 26.6 temps. My experience mirrors yours in this regard.

I think the OP has 3 options.

1) Re-seat and reapply paste on the stealth. Manually set vcore/clock multiplier and stress test. 1.15 vcore and 3.6 is a good place to start.

2) Re-seat and reapply paste on the stealth. Turn off core performance boost. Cross fingers that that gets temps under control.

3) Buy a better cooler.

Options 1 and 2 are only temporary solutions and ultimately if the OP wants to get the most from their CPU option 3 is the logical solution budget permitting.

Reactions: remixislandmusic

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS