[SOLVED] Ryzen setup works with 8gb ram, but goes blue screen with 16gb

Jan 9, 2019
Hi guys,
On december I bought a new PC with these spec:
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI B350M Pro-VH Plus (updated bios)
Ram 8GB DDR4 2400mhz team group

Well, now in january i bought more 8GB of ram, exactly the same model to avoidy problems, but when I try to use these 16GB the PC goes blue screen with some different errors:
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
Memory Management

Well, my motherboard have 2 slots, and I tried a lot of things, but the PC only start with 8GB ram, with the old or the new module, no matter which slot I put the module.

When I try to format the PC with 16GB on it, the blue screen goes on when the windows 10 installer open. And I tried 2 versions, 1803 and 1809.

Don't know what to do, is the motherboard the problem ?
Help me, thanks.

Solution
Which "other setups" specifically?

While the mixing & matching problem can happen on an Intel platform, BSODs are much more common on a modern AMD platform due to the nature of the CCX's and infinity fabric.

While both modules may appear to be the same - there's a reason they were sold as 1x8GB modules vs a 2x8GB "kit".
Kits are testing/verified to work together. If you could buy random 1x8GB modules and just have them 'work' without issue 100% of the time, then 2x8GB kits wouldn't exist.
Jan 9, 2019

Both sticks are team group 8GB ddr4 2400mhz cl16
they are exactly the same model to avoidy problems

But they aren't. Each stick was part of a different lot (most likely based on when they were purchased). That lot may have been assembled in a different country from different components.

When the are sold as a matched set, they are compatible with each other. But not necessarily compatible with a different lot manufactured on a different day (and perhaps a different country).

Jan 9, 2019

I take a look at the case and they came from the same country, but, no info which lot they are.

I'm starting to believe this is a motherboard problem, because with other setups, I already used 2 total different ram modules and they worked together

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which "other setups" specifically?

While the mixing & matching problem can happen on an Intel platform, BSODs are much more common on a modern AMD platform due to the nature of the CCX's and infinity fabric.

While both modules may appear to be the same - there's a reason they were sold as 1x8GB modules vs a 2x8GB "kit".
Kits are testing/verified to work together. If you could buy random 1x8GB modules and just have them 'work' without issue 100% of the time, then 2x8GB kits wouldn't exist.

Solution

I've known that memory supported by Ryzen systems has a tighter acceptability criteria than Intel processors or even other AMD processors. I advise people to pick memory from the motherboard QVL list for use with Ryzen processors. For Intel processors, most any RAM will work as long as the frequency is supported and it is "Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory".

Do you know of any specific feature or criteria that explains this for Ryzen processors? Or is the Ryzen memory controller just more picky about what RAM it likes?:)

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Ryzen memory controllers are not the best, you should try raising the SoC voltage(no higher than 1.2v, i'd stay below 1.18v). I know most of my Ryzen motherboards will automatically run higher SoC voltages(like 1.1375v) when you try to run faster RAM.

TRENDING THREADS