Question Ryzen Temps

Sep 9, 2019
I just completed my first build and was hoping to get some advice on my CPU Temps. At idle with nothing open except Ryzen Master my CPU temps are jumping around from 35C to 55C. When gaming after an hour they are usually running around 75-80C. I’m running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi with a Gammax gt cooler. I know max temps are 95C on cpu but those temps just seem high to me at idle. I have read about other people having same issue but answers are somewhat all over the place. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The feature is perfectly normal my friend:

This is normal, the Ryzen 3600 operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens.

The Ryzen 3000 series are made to run up to a voltage of 1.5V and constantly fluctuate and enforce this boost from sleep feature - this is why you're seeing these fluctuations at low loads. If you use something more detailed such as HWInfo, you can constantly see this voltage and temperature fluctuations.

So all in all it is perfectly natural for the CPU to behave this way. But if say that you don't like the cooling fan curve , then just change the cooler fan curve to only ramp up at higher temperatures :)

just seem high to me at idle.
Ultimately, idle temps are only a potential indicator, but ultimately you can't cause damage by high idle temps, only by excessively high temps, regardless as to load.

So in your case, as a rough rule of thumb, I would say as long as stay below 80 degrees regardless as to whether it's low load or high laod, you're fine.

Sep 9, 2019
The feature is perfectly normal my friend:

This is normal, the Ryzen 3600 operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens.

The Ryzen 3000 series are made to run up to a voltage of 1.5V and constantly fluctuate and enforce this boost from sleep feature - this is why you're seeing these fluctuations at low loads. If you use something more detailed such as HWInfo, you can constantly see this voltage and temperature fluctuations.

So all in all it is perfectly natural for the CPU to behave this way. But if say that you don't like the cooling fan curve , then just change the cooler fan curve to only ramp up at higher temperatures :)

Ultimately, idle temps are only a potential indicator, but ultimately you can't cause damage by high idle temps, only by excessively high temps, regardless as to load.

So in your case, as a rough rule of thumb, I would say as long as stay below 80 degrees regardless as to whether it's low load or high laod, you're fine.
That’s great to hear. I also used HWMonitor to verify everything. It was running at 1.42V and high idle temp was 57C and highest temp while gaming was 82C.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That’s great to hear. I also used HWMonitor to verify everything. It was running at 1.42V and high idle temp was 57C and highest temp while gaming was 82C.
I suspect the high idle temp could just be a sudden spike from the feature described above.
82 MAX I wouldn't be concerned about, unless it was constantly sitting around 85 degrees perhaps.

However remember your ambient temperatures also have a big impact.

Sep 9, 2019
I suspect the high idle temp could just be a sudden spike from the feature described above.
82 MAX I wouldn't be concerned about, unless it was constantly sitting around 85 degrees perhaps.

However remember your ambient temperatures also have a big impact.
Ambient is usually around 22-25C. I have been itching to stress test my setup but was to worried about the temps.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ambient is usually around 22-25C. I have been itching to stress test my setup but was to worried about the temps.
With the stock cooler you'll probably find a stress test will have it shoot up to 95 pretty quickly. Which I would say in most environments is pretty normal with the stock cooler, it's not made for anything extreme.

If this system is running perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry :)