[SOLVED] Ryzen Thermal Issues...

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Hey there.

I got 4 systems at the moment, because I couldn't make my Ryzen systems behave as I would expect/want...
My initial plans was to build two Ryzen system, one for office use (somewhat OP but I don't care) and my main gaming rig for erh... gaming, at home.

Just before I settled on these, I was with a 10900k Intel gaming rig, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, NZXT Z63, all Noctua fans (even AIO), Corsair HX850i PSU, 2TB of NVMe storage, 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz on a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh white case. The GPU was a Gigabyte RTX Aorus 2080 Ti,

So, no reasons to upgrade right? It was before the new GPUs came out, mid 2020.. I already had a Gen4 1TB SSD, so I decided to make a complete overhaul, that's when I started to set the wrong expectations.
I decided to go full AMD on my main gaming rig and also self built office PC (they don't have BYOD policies where I work, so I'm starting a personal revolution there...).

So here are the two builds:

AMD Gen4 Gaming Rig:
  • Ryzen 5800x (ended up being a 5600x);
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme motherboard;
  • NZXT Z73 AIO, 360mm;
  • 4x 8GB DDR4 Team Group Xtreem RGB 4000MHz;
  • Corsair HX850i PSU;
  • Radeon RX 6800xt;
  • Thermaltake View 51 Snow Edition case;
  • Gigabyte Aorus 2TB Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD.

AMD Gen4 OP Office build:
  • Ryzen 3600 (ended up being 3600xt);
  • Asrock X570m Pro4 mobo;
  • Corsair H100i AIO 240mm;
  • 2x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CAS13;
  • Corsair HX750i PSU;
  • Radeon 5500xt (just for the display outputs, no intention to play any game... I know, OP);
  • Cooler Master S400 matx case;
  • Adata XPG S50 1TB Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD.

So that was the planned systems... I got the parts and built both, updated the Aorus Xtreme BIOS so I could use the 5600x on it, and everything seemed right. I used Ceramique 2 thermal compound on both.
My Intel 10900k build used to idle at 32ºC, playing some light games - namely Heroes of The Storm with everything on Ultra at QHD - made it go to 58~60ºC, max, with no audible noise coming from any fan, be it AIO or GPU fan.

Then after building the AMD systems I started to use them for a while... The 5600x, I really can't figure why, started with 40ºC at idle after some minutes of system boot.... After any heavy load, like a CPU stress test (100% cpu usage) the idle temperature was stabilizing on 65ºC (...)... 65ºC on idle Windows 10, with no more than 4% CPU usage... During stress test the CPU went to 85ºC... I took the AIO out and put it back again, reapplied thermal compound to check if everything was in the right place... Still same results, the same AIO that would put my 10900k on ~30ºC with idle Windows 10. In the NZXT CAM software, the reported liquid temperature sits on 44ºC, still the CPU was staying 65ºC at IDLE.

I was starting to think that I got a bad chip, who knows... So I tried the same GPU on the 3600xt system... It was idling at 60ºC. Different systems, only thing in common is that it's both all AMD, both got BIOS updated to use Ryzen 5000, both getting 60~65ºC at idle...
I've read some about negative cpu voltage offset, I'm going to try it out on the Aorus Xtreme + 5600x system... I spent some sum on this... If I can't make it work as intended, I'm going to try to RMA, but if this is common behavior for a Ryzen, then I give up on it, gonna sell it and head back to Intel camp, once again.

Is this thermals normal?
Any advice would be welcome.

Solution
Hey Furzumz

Hmm... I've being asking around, seems like Ryzen's behavior is like that... Still I'm not really confortable with this. My office build I wanted to make it small, but with these thermals I wouldn't go full mini itx (that's where my build headed afterwards).

Still need to mess with cpu voltage offset.
See what you can do with negative voltage offset but Zen3 is expected to run hotter than previous ones and also allowed higher temperatures before dropping boost so don't even compare it with your 3600xt. and specially not with Intel.
3600 wil start loosing boost frequency at above 70c but 5600x can go darn close to 90c before that happens.

Furzumz

Reputable
High idle temperatures with Ryzen is normal and very common. Why it is I'm not exactly sure, but your temperatures don't seem anything out of the ordinary for Ryzen.

For example my 3900x with a NH-D14 cooler idles up to 60c. Putting it under full load in Cinebench only makes it go up to 70c tops. The difference between idle and load temps on my processor is only 10c, weirdly enough.

As long as your temperatures are comfortably below 95c it's fine. Gaming or doing office work especially isn't going to be pegging your CPU at 100% usage at all times like a stress test is, but even if it were to, 85c isn't dangerous. On the warm side sure, but if you're just gaming or doing office work you're not gonna be slamming it that hard 24/7

Last edited:

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Hey Furzumz

Hmm... I've being asking around, seems like Ryzen's behavior is like that... Still I'm not really confortable with this. My office build I wanted to make it small, but with these thermals I wouldn't go full mini itx (that's where my build headed afterwards).

Hey Furzumz

See what you can do with negative voltage offset but Zen3 is expected to run hotter than previous ones and also allowed higher temperatures before dropping boost so don't even compare it with your 3600xt. and specially not with Intel.
3600 wil start loosing boost frequency at above 70c but 5600x can go darn close to 90c before that happens.

Solution