Question Ryzen Threadripper 1900x underperforming?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
If you look carefully at the results you can see that your CPU is not boosting - 'Base clock 3.8 GHZ, turbo 1.65 GHz (avg)'.
It is in fact the CPU that is being throttled and causing it to run at 1.65 GHZ during benchmarking as opposed to 3.8+ GHZ so hence your huge performance loss.
Now click on the '2,476 User benchmarks, average bench 93%' in your CPU results to see others results.
All the people whose boost is working (compare their Base clock and turbo figure) - Bench 94% etc have much higher benchmarks but there are some if you scroll down who have a similar scenario to yourself - Bench 34% and 39% so you are not the only one whose CPU isn't boosting and is in fact throttling.

A Ryzen CPU, like many others, will automatically be throttled under some circumstances such as overheating, Windows Power Saving Mode is activated in Power Options or an insufficient power supply.
In your case I would say it is throttling due to overheating of the CPU under stress as your GPU, SSD and RAM are all performing excellent from your results so the power supply seems OK.
If you download ASUS Ai Suite III or Ryzen Master you will be able to monitor your CPU speed and temperature, amongst many other things, in real time.
Personally I use ASUS Ai Suite III so I will give you instructions for that.
Download it then run it and click on the top - 5 way optimisation.
This will analyse your system and stress test the CPU and fans etc.
Please note - it will probably shut your PC down during testing as it really does stress it up to its limits and this is perfectly normal.
When I ran it the CPU ratio stepper was incremented so that the MHZ increased and eventually the temperature reached 99c which automatically shuts the system down as the safety threshold is reached by the CPU and hardware monitoring.
Just start your PC up again if this happens then back to the ASUS AI Suite.
It will now have your optimum settings saved as it has tested your hardware's limits.

Click the TPU tab and you should then see your CPU's MHZ, volts etc.
Below this you will also see your CPU temperature.
Run the benchmark software again and bring the AI Suite to the front by clicking on it so that you can see all of its windows during testing.
Observe your CPU ratio frequency and temperature.
This is where you will see throttling which has definitely happened in your case so if the temperature is getting above around 75c during benchmarking you have a potential cooling issue.
A stock cooler will not cope as well as a an upgraded one so it may rise to 80c plus depending on what you have fitted.
Like I said before 99c is the absolute threshold before the system shuts down in my case.
You should be nowhere near this as the throttling brings the CPU temperature down and as you have already run the benchmark you are not overheating to extreme levels.
What you want to see is what your temperature is doing and the CPU frequency as your benchmark said 1.65 GHZ which is exceptionally low and a high extreme of throttling.

So what happens is when temperature rises to a certain safety threshold which is often set at 75 c depending on the Motherboard and settings the CPU's hardware and software automatically throttle it to reduce heat but consequently you lose massive amounts of processing power as it rises.
If your Windows Power Plan and AI Suite are set to Power Saving then in my case I peak out at 2.2 GHZ on the CPU so the fact that yours is going down to 1.65 GHZ is extreme.

In Windows Control Panel, Power Options check your Power Plan is not in Power Saving mode - use Balanced as Power Saving throttles the CPU to save electricity.
You should also see a High Performance option but I have tried this and it doesn't really offer any advantage over Balanced as the CPU steps up according to demand in Balanced.
In your AI Suite check that Performance mode is activated too.

These are the options to tweak in Windows so the next ones are in your BIOS.
If you have altered any settings previously or it is a second hand PC then you can just reset the BIOS to get its default factory settings.
Just google this if you are unsure as it is easy to do but involves taking the side of the PC case off.

If your are comfortable going into your BIOS then check that your profile for the CPU is not set to Power Saving too.
Select Balanced or Performance, depending on your motherboard this could have slightly different names.
Again, by default these settings are generally set to Balanced or Performance by default so shouldn't be throttling your CPU unless they have been changed at all.
At idle the CPU temperature shouldn't be over 60c, mine is around 56c, then during gaming or benchmarking you should not be hitting anything over 75c with a decent cooler.
If the temperature rises too high getting over usually around 75c then the CPU is throttled automatically but using incremental steps so more heat = less CPU processing power.
The fan speed should rise to cool it as well so this is an indicator of temperature.
This will have the adverse effect that you are seeing with your performance as the CPU throttling kicks in at higher temperatures.

Ryzen CPU s and motherboards are set by default to boost so unless they have been intentionally altered in your BIOS they should be set to boost when required.
If the boost had been deactivated in the BIOS it means your CPU would just remain at its 3.8 MHZ speed and simply not rise.

Andy