Ryzen Upgrade with Win 8.1

steve7527

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
My ageing System has served me well but I need to speed up Photoshop processes.
I was hoping to go with a Ryzen 5 but I now hear I may not be able to stick with Windows 8.1?
Does anybody have any experience with a Ryzen based system on Windows 8.1?
I have no interest in the latest games but need my current programs and peripherals to continue to function and would seriously like to avoid Windows 10 for that reason.
Thanks folks.

Solution
How much can you spend? Since you want to use 8.1 I was thinking that maybe you could just go with a slightly older platform such as Intel Skylake which should support 8.1 and will be a improvement over your current system.

Mark RM

Admirable
The odds are low, especially since the chipset driver and power plan don't appear to workwell on Windows 8.1. It can be done of course, people have. But Windows updates are also disabled for Windows 7 and 8.1 on the new platforms using these work arounds.

Same applies to Intel.

steve7527

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
To answer Wildcard999
It's an Athlon II x4 620 with 8Gb of DDR3 on an AM3 board. Win 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
ye olde 1 Tb HDD, 2Gb Radeon R9 Graphics card.
I'm running Photoshop CS5 with numerous plugins and actions collected over the years and I can't have a Win 10 install trash that.
I would ideally replace the mobo, cpu and ram and just leave the operating system to tackle the change without a fresh install or upgrade.

steve7527

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
I think you might be right Wildcard. Just reading more on the updated user agreement on Windows 10 and all the spying puts me off even more so looking at an Intel Skylake system may be my best option. Thank you both for your responses.

steve7527

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Thanks again for your time. I'll keep an eye on fleabay for a used Skylake mobo/processor combo. Seems to be the most economical solution without junking my win 8.1 setup. Appreciated.