Info Ryzen VCore Voltage going above 1.5V?

Last edited:
An interesting find while perusing AMD_Robert (Robert Halleck, AMD's Technical Marketing guru) posts on Reddit. Quoting his post found here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ciajef/placeholder_update_on_whea_warnings_destiny_2_and/hncttrt/?context=3

That's a relief for me since I have seen a few brief spikes as high as 1.513V. In my case it's always been after first turn-on when the processor is coolest and during load of OS assets, which is naturally light processing.
Yes, mostly happens under low loads conditions on 1st gen Ryzen and earlier BIOS versions when all is left on auto. It can be controlled to some extent by negative voltage offset but it's mostly transient peeks, not dangerous.
1.3v max is something to strive for.

1.3v max is something to strive for.

A low voltage is definitely something to strive for. Especially true with Ryzen since a lower voltage means cooler operation which in turn means optimal performance. But Ryzen's so darn dynamic and that means VCore is constantly changing.

With my 5800X (PBO'd and under-volting with Curve Optimizer) I like to see it around 1.2V when running something as heavy as Prime95. But bouncing around 1.3 is nice in normal video encodes. When just browsing the web or clicking around in windows it's all over...from 1.37 to 1.481 normally. It very much depends on processing load just what it's gonna be.

Reactions: CountMike