Question Ryzen vs Intel honest opinion pls

Jonaking

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Hi I’m building a pc and I’m considering Ryzen or intel

-ryzen7 3700x

-i7 9700k

Now I know there are many vids online but if anyone could tell me their opinion on which I should get that would be Great

An answer would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
Not saying there is anything wrong with Ryzen (heck, my gaming pc is AMD Ryzen powered) but 3rd generation has had some issues.

AMD is known for its shaky launches. While they almost always get everything sorted out, it takes time and there are always tons of updates for things like microcode and chipset drivers until then, at least with Ryzen.

I mean currently, people are seeing odd behavior related to boost clocks and voltages. Nothing dangerous at all, but a little shaky.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not saying there is anything wrong with Ryzen (heck, my gaming pc is AMD Ryzen powered) but 3rd generation has had some issues.

AMD is known for its shaky launches. While they almost always get everything sorted out, it takes time and there are always tons of updates for things like microcode and chipset drivers until then, at least with Ryzen.

I mean currently, people are seeing odd behavior related to boost clocks and voltages. Nothing dangerous at all, but a little shaky.
^This.
Although AMD is the value leader right now, you're kinda signing up to be a beta tester for their products at the moment. Both Intel(yeah, really) and Nvidia are the more stable platforms right now.
It'll take some time to get all the bugs worked out, until then, some people are just at the mercy of those updates.

Early adopter privilege?

InvalidError

Titan
Every generation has had some issues, first and third gen being the worst offenders for quirks people shouldn't have to to deal with on volume production parts. First gen had horrible memory compatibility at launch, third gen has multiple weird bugs (some reviewers are sticking to 1003AB due ABB/ABBA being worse in their opinion) along with very similar unclear messaging about what CPUs will be compatible with which boards as the 2nd-gen.

On my i5-3470, I was still running the original BIOS until a few weeks ago when I ran out of things to update in an attempt to fix issues with Windows sound. At least two of the update notes mentioned improved system stability, which I found hilarious given that my system already ran for months between reboots for updates. That's the stability I expect out of my PCs, I'd have a hard time tolerating any less.

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
we are at a point where going either intel or amd doesnt really matter anymore as both choices would provide you with a good experience.

the 9700k would edge out the 3700x in some games, but what you may want to think about is this.

at 1080p 144hz the 9700k would edge out the 3700x using the same GPU for instance it wont be much but you might want to go intel at this stage. GTX 1660ti or RX 5700 would be good at this resolution.

at 1440p both of them would perform neck and neck since this resolution is more reliant on the GPU. but you could go for 2nd gen ryzen (2600/2600x/2700x) which is still great btw and they are really cheap atm, get your self a RTX 2080 super and play on 1440p 120hz with maxed out settings.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
both are good, so just do a price comparison on your local market. ryzen is a good performer, but people sometimes says that it have some funny issues. So yeah, pick your poison I guess.

psi

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
I have a high-end i7 CPU and it performs very well, but I think it's a little bit overkill for gaming. Intel have also dropped Windows 8.1 support. I never used Ryzen but since AMD makes cheaper CPUs it looks like a good choice (my intel and in general, are expensive, aww). I think all in all it may be investment for future games, so worth planning ahead.
GPU power is very important for this use.

Right now I have a 1050ti but in future think of 2070/ti and what is adaptive sync?

You won't notice any difference in gaming running a 1050ti or even a 2070...it takes a high end Intel cpu like a 9900k running a 2080ti to show any meaningful gains over Ryzen 3700x...on mid-level gpu's the performance difference is not noticeable outside benchmark software. In almost every use besides gaming the Ryzen 3700x cpu will walk away from a 9700k.

Adaptive sync is software that works to eliminate screen tearing in games when the gpu exceeds the monitor refresh rate.

Jonaking

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Alright thanks guys for that interesting discussion and thank you for sharing your knowledge with me
I have one last question about the monitor with ryzen would i have to get amd sync or would free sync
work once i buy one

Alright thanks guys for that interesting discussion and thank you for sharing your knowledge with me
I have one last question about the monitor with ryzen would i have to get amd sync or would free sync
work once i buy one
Your cpu has no effect to which you can or should buy.
Freesync works on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs while G-sync only works on Nvidia gpus.