Ryzen vs Intel

Dropment

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2016
i can't decide if i want to switch to ryzen or stick with intel. I have a gtx 1050 ti
I want to get good performance in Pubg, fortnite, and overwatch and other titles.
Also i want it to be future proof

Solution

No reason to move up from your current platform. You can get a 7700 on your current board and game no problem. Drop in a better GPU and that system will last a long time gaming at 1080p. If you are set on buying another motherboard then sure Ryzen is a viable option, but IMO its a waste from what you have.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you're hoping for a definitive answer, you're not going to get it here (or anywhere else for that matter). Right now the best choice is whatever you can get the best deal on. Both CPUs are excellent and are great choices. Nobody can guarantee "futureproof" (although AMD has said your AM4 motherboard will be definitely good till at least 2020 unlike Intel) but thats about as close as you will get.

What you are doing is not demanding, either processor family will play it very well and perform similarly.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
It looks like you're really just looking for gaming performance. Although games are starting to take advantage of an increased core count there is only so much developers can do when it comes to allowing multiple threads to run in parallel. Certain games, usually single player strategy games, can utilise multiple threads for the AI etc but your usual fps (which you appear to favour) doesn't lend itself well to take advantage of extra cores as many threads have to wait for others to complete first. That's where a high clock speed or IPC (instructions per clock) are better.

With those points in mind and your preference for shooters I'd recommend Intel over AMD. The Ryzen chips are very good and have a high core count but lose out to Intel on clock speed. For a good blend of cores & speed the 6 core / 4.9ghz OC 8th Gen i5 8600k is hard to beat for gaming right now.

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
I have to agree with the others that have said upgrade the cpu. You could get a Ryzen 1600 and 350 chipset mother board for about 300 dollars, but is it worth switching out the board and cpu or getting and i7 and simply drop it in the current rig. That is really up to you. Either way you will have a solid rig for 1080p gaming at mid to some high settings

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No reason to move up from your current platform. You can get a 7700 on your current board and game no problem. Drop in a better GPU and that system will last a long time gaming at 1080p. If you are set on buying another motherboard then sure Ryzen is a viable option, but IMO its a waste from what you have.

Solution