[SOLVED] Ryzen VS Intel

Nov 28, 2020
So back to debating on my processor again...

My old rig had a ryzen 5 2600, my mom has it now.

I was thinking the i5 10400 because its $160 and I would be able to buy 2 items towards my build with the finance thing instead of one.

Or go with a ryzen 5 3600 for $199.

I'm not trying to make a crazy build or anything but wanna improve a little over my old build that had a ryzen 5 2600. I do game but not crazy gamer. Mostly into CoD...

I'm building up my credit limit so can get a 5600xt graphics card when they become available again.

Solution
Best to not buy parts one at a time.
If you buy early, and it turns out to be defective, you have a problem.
Wait until you are ready to assemble.
Over time, price/performance of parts get better.
By waiting, you will likely get a better price.
New gen products will have a few glitches. Usually fixed by motherboard bios updates.

There are a few classes of products that you can buy early.
A good case is worth researching, buy the case you love if you see it on sale.

A quality power supply can be shopped for early.
As a long term investment, a 650/750/850w psu with a 10 year warranty can be bought early.
Do not buy ssd devices now, prices are still dropping.

Back to the cpu issue, the impending release of Intel rocket lake is going...
Dec 22, 2020
I don't know about where you all live, but I cannot buy a Ryzen processor locally (Edmonton - Canada) at any price. Amazon's Ryzen prices are climbing so fast that they simply aren't an option at all anymore. I've been watching for months and there are never any in stock, so not sure if it's this bad in other areas/countries but Ryzen simply isn't an option here. I have built custom gaming PCs for 20 years and I have never seen a component more out of stock consistently than the Ryzen - although the nVidia 30 series will probably be close at this rate.

Reactions: Lucifurr123
Nov 28, 2020
I don't know about where you all live, but I cannot buy a Ryzen processor locally (Edmonton - Canada) at any price. Amazon's Ryzen prices are climbing so fast that they simply aren't an option at all anymore. I've been watching for months and there are never any in stock, so not sure if it's this bad in other areas/countries but Ryzen simply isn't an option here. I have built custom gaming PCs for 20 years and I have never seen a component more out of stock consistently than the Ryzen - although the nVidia 30 series will probably be close at this rate.

Best buy said I can buy the ryzen 5 3600 at 199 but gonna take awhile to show up (1-2mos).

Amazon said end of January before could a Ryzen 5 3600 but could still order.

Both companies are out of stock.

Intel is in stock but since gonna be building over the next 2 or 3mos since I have to get one or two parts at a time, wouldn't mind waiting on a ryzen 5 3600 IF it's better then a intel i5 10400.

New gen products will have a few glitches. Usually fixed by motherboard bios updates.

As a long term investment, a 650/750/850w psu with a 10 year warranty can be bought early.

Back to the cpu issue, the impending release of Intel rocket lake is going to do something to the market.
I do not know what. Intel has a big incentive to price a 11tn gen processor very competitively.

Graphics cards are now jacked up in price. That will ease by next year.

Reactions: boju
Solution
Nov 28, 2020

Back to the cpu issue, the impending release of Intel rocket lake is going to do something to the market.
I do not know what. Intel has a big incentive to price a 11tn gen processor very competitively.

Graphics cards are now jacked up in price. That will ease by next year.

I don't really have any choice but to buy 1 part at a time because I have to use quadpay as I don't have $1500 to spend on a computer, and right now I only have a $200 credit limit until buy more stuff and pay it off.

So why was thinking the $160 processor but there is the ryzen for $200.

I honestly just wanna start buying parts so I can get something done in the next 4-6mos, I don't like playing on the xbox haha I will need more then $200 if I wanna get a decent graphics card.

Nov 28, 2020
Do you like saving money? Do not buy your parts like that if it's only to be used in 6 months.

I am using quadpay to get stuff because I don't have $1500 up front and I have to buy a couple things and pay it off (using my full amount) to get approved for a higher amount. Why looking at one part a time so can build up my credit limit so can get a decent graphics card.

I am using quadpay to get stuff because I don't have $1500 up front and I have to buy a couple things and pay it off (using my full amount) to get approved for a higher amount. Why looking at one part a time so can build up my credit limit so can get a decent graphics card.

it is such a bad time and a bad way to buy a system that you will probably end up paying a few hundred dollars extra for the same performance. A 200 dollars Ryzen 3600 right now will be cheaper in 6 months and you never know..a 5600X might not be far from that in 6 months.

Last edited:

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I would also wait a couple months.The 3xxx models will drop when the 5xxx are more available(no stock issues)here we have some 5xxx parts in stock but at ridiculous prices.the 5600x are double the price of what i paid for my r5 2600 2 years ago. I reckon soon we can get a 3600 for around 150 usd but only time will tell.

TRENDING THREADS