Ryzen vs. Threadripper for streaming?

Jun 14, 2018
Okay, so, I have a R 7 1700x, and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have a better time gaming and streaming at the same time with a TR? and if it is so, which TR would you recommend with a good performance per $.

Solution
I don;t think so, the CPU you have is almost at the same level as the TR 1900x. If you decide to upgrade you will spend lots of money on stuff that is barely gonna improve performance. The 1700x will perform just fine in streaming, so the best thing you can do is invest elsewhere (e.g. video card, monitor, internet connection) as these will make a bigger difference.

Just for the record, the top TR model (1950x) is sitting at $800 which I wouldn't call VFM, offering a slight increase in game performance. If you add the motherboard and the cooling, you reach the sum needed to buy a brand new gtx1080Ti.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I think your R 1700X will outperform TR in games, check the reviews.

If your current rig is not good enough, have you actually analysed your performance using perfmon to work out where your bottleneck is.
It may not be your CPU.

PuperHacker

Honorable
I don;t think so, the CPU you have is almost at the same level as the TR 1900x. If you decide to upgrade you will spend lots of money on stuff that is barely gonna improve performance. The 1700x will perform just fine in streaming, so the best thing you can do is invest elsewhere (e.g. video card, monitor, internet connection) as these will make a bigger difference.

Just for the record, the top TR model (1950x) is sitting at $800 which I wouldn't call VFM, offering a slight increase in game performance. If you add the motherboard and the cooling, you reach the sum needed to buy a brand new gtx1080Ti.

Solution
I recommend you do a test game stream just to see where your performance is in reality right now. I'm not a big fan of making plans based on paper specifications.

For example, if your current CPU allows you to stream your games in a quality you find acceptable, who cares if on paper the TR is 'better' at streaming games?