Ryzen won't boot after overclock

TheBackBreak

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2016
Hello people of the internet, I have a problem with my PC I hope you could help me solve. I am kinda bad at explaining and it is hard to tell all the attempts I made to fix this. I am able to upload a video of the failed boot and I will clarify any questions you have about it if needed.

Last week I upgraded my system from an ancient cpu, to a Ryzen 1200 with a b350 tomahawk and some Patriot signature series (2x4gb) RAM @ 2133mhz.

First boot was fine other than the regular problems of long boot time and loud fans it was going okay. I got into windows and messed around doing some stress tests and installing new drivers, etc.

Then I decided it was time to overclock, after watching a few videos I went into the bios; to start I did a starting overclock of 3.8 and it worked! Then I bumped it up to 3.9 and this is where my problem starts, though I am new to overclocking I think this issue is strange, when turning on the fans spin up and so do the hard drive however it doesn’t post. The power button works only when held and it can be restarted into this stage if turned off and on. When pressing the reset button though the Cpu ezdebug light turn on, after you release the button the dram light turns on and the cpu light stays on for ~5 sec before they both turning off.

The only way to get it to boot is by holding the power button to turn it off and clearing the cmos. I then returned to the 3.8 where it didn’t work. Then 3.7, no dice. Then 3.6, yes. Then stock, yes. Then 3.8, yes.

After this failed overclock I tried upping the voltage, changing the clock, and it usually results in this odd state of not booting with this weird led thing.

No combination of clock or voltage or anything gets me above 3.875 and even then sometimes when rebooting or doing a cold boot it will go into this state and need to be cleared. I have run adia64 and prime 95 and it seems to be stable when it actually boots.

I have heard that you will need to clear the cmos and restart your overclock if it doesn’t work as that is a part of overclocking, but it seems odd that the issue will happen with low overclocks and not happen with some higher ones.

I have done the fresh start option in windows as suggested in a forum I saw but that didn’t help. I have also reinstalled chipset, video, and bios drivers.

Right now it is at 3.85 and it works fine, but last night after a restart it went into this state. i held the power button and then pressed it again and it booted as normal.

Did I lose the silicon lottery or is something broken? please help :??:

Solution
Just because it initially booted at that frequency, does not mean the OC was stable. Did you stress test - memtest, intel XTU, etc.?
"I have run adia64 and prime 95 and it seems to be stable when it actually boots."
Then it's not actually stable, is it?
And why did you start at such a high OC? That's backwards. You should start lower - 3.5/3.6 and work your way up, testing along the way.
Your problem started before the 3.9.
Start over at the frequencies I mentioned. See how far you can go at stock voltage until it crashes, bump the voltage a little(in +0.01 increments for example) at a time without going over 1.35v, rinse and repeat. Not all cpus are made equal, thus your results will differ/be similar to others.
3.7 SHOULD be doable on...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just because it initially booted at that frequency, does not mean the OC was stable. Did you stress test - memtest, intel XTU, etc.?
"I have run adia64 and prime 95 and it seems to be stable when it actually boots."
Then it's not actually stable, is it?
And why did you start at such a high OC? That's backwards. You should start lower - 3.5/3.6 and work your way up, testing along the way.
Your problem started before the 3.9.
Start over at the frequencies I mentioned. See how far you can go at stock voltage until it crashes, bump the voltage a little(in +0.01 increments for example) at a time without going over 1.35v, rinse and repeat. Not all cpus are made equal, thus your results will differ/be similar to others.
3.7 SHOULD be doable on that cpu. Past that depends on the quality of the chip... although, you don't gain much of anything going past that, as Ryzens are poor overclockers, and few can hit or get past 4.0.

You also have the option of using the motherboard's autotune feature for light to mild OCs. Stick with manual for high ones, 3.7+.

Solution
Jul 10, 2019
Today I use amd ryzen master
And choosing game mode
And apply.
And PC gose shut down, and I will be not start, I trying many time, for start, but only fan start for 3sec and shut down ,not powerup PC ,I don't know what's happened.😭😭
My PC - amd ryzen 5 2400g
Mobo- Asus prime a320m-k
Ram ddr4 8gb
Hdd-1tb
Please help me

Reactions: edinm23