[SOLVED] Ryzen Zen3 OC guide

htoontm

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
Hello,

I am planning to pair 5900x with arous master. Do you guys have OC sticky note for zen3 or zen2 platform. I come from intel platform. I am new to this. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Zen 3 hasn't even been released yet, so I'm not sure how you think there could be an overclocking guide for it? Being honest here, that's like asking for an owners manual for a 2022 F150 when it's still 2020.

As far as Zen 2 is concerned, it's probably going to be very similar since the same chipsets are in play.

Zen 3 hasn't even been released yet, so I'm not sure how you think there could be an overclocking guide for it? Being honest here, that's like asking for an owners manual for a 2022 F150 when it's still 2020.

As far as Zen 2 is concerned, it's probably going to be very similar since the same chipsets are in play.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
View: https://youtu.be/3CEFQxsgZ20?t=426
That could help with what voltage to use. I would be cautious. There's always someone who burns up the CPU within a week, a month, 6 months. Check their voltages and avoid those.
Apparently Fclock could possibly reach 2000-2100 Mhz if you update BIOS for Ryzen 5000. So 4000-4200 Mhz RAM. Not sure what motherboards have an update and what doesn't. The information is kinda limited still.

I would expect some OC guide to appear in 2 weeks+. People like to play with their toys after all.

View: https://youtu.be/3CEFQxsgZ20?t=426
That could help with what voltage to use. I would be cautious. There's always someone who burns up the CPU within a week, a month, 6 months. Check their voltages and avoid those.
Apparently Fclock could possibly reach 2000-2100 Mhz if you update BIOS for Ryzen 5000. So 4000-4200 Mhz RAM. Not sure what motherboards have an update and what doesn't. The information is kinda limited still.

I would expect some OC guide to appear in 2 weeks+. People like to play with their toys after all.
Yeah, I'm sure that what Der8auer is doing there, with LNC, is going to be very applicable to the average person wanting to overclock their daily driver.

Hello,

I am planning to pair 5900x with arous master. Do you guys have OC sticky note for zen3 or zen2 platform. I come from intel platform. I am new to this. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Here's Steve showing you how it's done...

As a practical matter, it's still the 7nm process that's already shown to be easily degraded when setting a fixed voltage above it's FIT. I'd follow the process for determining FIT for Zen2 and use the voltage it returns. Then raise clocks till it goes unstable with whatever stress test you deem sufficient. If you find it degrades your sample early, be sure to let us know.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmyfzlf8SY

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
MSI listed down overclock voltages and the resulting power usage based on its own internal testings. According to MSI, these are the overclock voltages tey would suggest users. We have the voltages for each CPU along with the power consumption and current ratings listed below:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 1.30V (1.26V Stress / 24.56A / 294.72 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 1.35V (1.30V Stress) / 18.02A / 216.24 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - 1.40V (1.35V Stress) / 11.26A / 135.12 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 1.45V (1.40V Stress) / 8.460A / 101.52 Watts

Source: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000...memory-overclocking-500-series-agesa-support/

MSI listed down overclock voltages and the resulting power usage based on its own internal testings. According to MSI, these are the overclock voltages tey would suggest users. We have the voltages for each CPU along with the power consumption and current ratings listed below:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 1.30V (1.26V Stress / 24.56A / 294.72 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 1.35V (1.30V Stress) / 18.02A / 216.24 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - 1.40V (1.35V Stress) / 11.26A / 135.12 Watts
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 1.45V (1.40V Stress) / 8.460A / 101.52 Watts
Source: https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000...memory-overclocking-500-series-agesa-support/
For a 24/7 overclock?

SVI2/TFN voltage? or VCore?

No clock given...I assume they mean the highest clock speed your sample can hold stable at that voltage and with manageable temperature?

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable pumping 1.45V into a 5600X 24/7 just yet, they're a bit too hard to get hold of right now.

And curious how the 5600 can handle so much greater voltage vs. 5950...or is it the VRM they're worried about and not the CPU?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking needs to DIE... or at least get segmented like custom liquid cooling; only the people with real passion for it will pursue it.

Too many people get hung up on the BS.
-How do I overclock this?
-What settings do use?
Blah, blah, blah...
They should just leave the blasted cpu on auto if they can't be bothered to do their homework. They're not missing much anyways.
Plus, when they start having issues with the OC, they don't know WTF to do - some don't even suspect the OC settings - because they got hand held through the process.

Once I'm off X299, I'm not going to bother with it anymore.
About all I care about now is cooling. When there's temperature sensitive cpus and gpus out there, if I just cover the cooling front, they'll take care of themselves, plus boost to manual levels on their own with margin of error difference.

Dang, did another rant.

some don't even suspect the OC settings - because they got hand held through the process.
I can't believe how many just want someone to spoon feed them the settings with no regard for sample to sample variation. It may work just fine, but it may work for a while until it degrades and goes unstable. Idealy, only they don't realize it, it crashes right off and they give up.

I'm certain there will be some overclockability with Zen3...it certainly appears to be at least. But LN2 ventures aside, the practical overclocks seem to be around 5% actual performance improvement in benches. You CAN NOT look at clocks alone as a measure of what was gained because clocks are so dynamic in correctly functioning stock setup.

For me, 5% more performance is not worth the problems with extra power draw and heat output and motherboard and cooling that a fixed clock/voltage overclock requires. I'm still back in the day when I could get almost 33% overclocks with my FX6300 (and was still dissappointed...but that's another story) so anything not well into double digits is pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can't believe how many just want someone to spoon feed them the settings with no regard for sample to sample variation.
I just want to copy-paste the link to the overclocking and custom liquid stickies in such threads, but resist the urge, because it'll mostly end with:
"What is this?"
"I don't want/I'm not going to read all that."
Usually followed by a downvote.

Me: That, friend... is 'baby's first steps'. You'd do well to use those resources to inform yourself, because very few people are going to be generous enough to walk you through everything...

Reactions: drea.drechsler

TRENDING THREADS