Jul 22, 2018
Hi there, I am building a pc. since my parents are paying for this pc I wanna get most out of it. where I live pc parts are bit expensive than the USA.
so I'm right now confused between Rzen 5 or Intel i5 9400f. I need the pc to do a lot of multitasking and also 144hz gaming(80+ fps) in 1080p. Also, I'm NOT planning to upgrade my pc later.
part price
I5 9400f 186$
ryzen5 2600 235$
ryzen5 2600x 270$

so the money I'm saving by going with i5 is about 100$, so which CPU should I go with?
thank you.

======================

pc built I've decided is this.

CPU - AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X = 270$ or I5 9400f = 186$

Motherboard -MSI - B450M PRO-VDH PLUS Micro ATX =100$ or MSI - B360M PRO-VDH 90$

Memory -G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 =110$

Storage - Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" SSD = 74$
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB = 70$

Video Card - Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB - 342$

Case - Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX = 80$

Power Supply - Corsair - CX 450 =50$

In this case I'd probably recommend that you stick with the Ryzen. You're getting twice the number of threads that can be simultaneously processed and if you do lots of multitasking like you say you do, then you will see the most benefit from the Ryzen CPU with it's twelve threads.

And, I'd probably stick with the 2600x, as you are not going to get good overclocking results on that motherboard so the 2600 is probably not worth saving the 35 bucks over.

Reactions: rico_rodriguez

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
And for the love of god, the cx corsair series is useless, go with an evga power supply is better for your own sake.
Already killed a graphic card with that power supply series and i'll never trust it again.

Jul 22, 2018
In this case I'd probably recommend that you stick with the Ryzen. You're getting twice the number of threads that can be simultaneously processed and if you do lots of multitasking like you say you do, then you will see the most benefit from the Ryzen CPU with it's twelve threads.

And, I'd probably stick with the 2600x, as you are not going to get good overclocking results on that motherboard so the 2600 is probably not worth saving the 35 bucks over.
thanks a lot for advice mate. going with 2600x.
have a nice day.

Jul 22, 2018
And for the love of god, the cx corsair series is useless, go with an evga power supply is better for your own sake.
Already killed a graphic card with that power supply series and i'll never trust it again.
surely won,t use corsair cx. evga psu are not available here so will "cooler master masterwatt' be ok ?

Do NOT, NOT, NOT use ANY of the Cooler master Masterwatt series units. The 2015, and especially 2017 and newer era Corsair CX and CXm units are much better than any of those especially the Masterwatt lite units. Those are dumpster fires waiting to happen.

The older CX units were garbage. The 2017 and newer gray label CX and CXm units are ok. Not great, not terrible. That CX450 is probably ok with that 1660 TI but I'd probably try to go with a CX550m if you can find one so that you not only have a bit of overhead in terms of the power supply running cooler, and therefore quieter, but also a buffer to ward against spikes plus if you upgrade the GPU card at some point you would be already have a unit that can handle a higher tiered card.

If you can afford it, and if they are available, finding a Seasonic G, Focus, Focus plus, Antec High current gamer or True power classic, FSP Hydro G, Super Flower Leadex, Leadex II or Golden green based units would be a lot better than the CX models. Or, a higher tiered Corsair unit like a TX or RM series would be better as well, however, in a pinch that CX unit should be ok for now. Don't be expecting it to last five years though because you'll be lucky if it lasts three.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have the Ryzen 5 2600 on a n Asus ROG Strix B450-F MB and I can OC it up to 4.075 GHz but I choose to run it at 3.9 GHz with my 3200 MHz RAM OC'd to 3400 MHz.
It performs very well But from what I read the i5-9400f gives you almost the exact same performance (slightly better in same apps/games and slightly lower in others).
So either would be a good choice but at $50 cheaper the i5 might be the better choice for you.
You could put that $50 towards a better MB, GPU or PSU.
I don't know your space limitations But I personally prefer ATX cases and MBs to mATX just because you usually get better airflow in a mid tower case (depends on the case design obviously) and they are usually easier to work on/in.
I just watched and read a few reviews of that Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX and it seems to have pretty good airflow/cooling for a MicroATX case.

I also have 2 Crucial MX500 SSDs (a 1TB and a 500 GB) and they are actually slightly faster than my 500 GB Samsung EVO 850.

Last edited:
This thread is not about what you have, and the OP does not have a B450-F listed so what you can do on your system is not a reflection of the potential for this one.

And while the 9400f does have as good or in some cases better, but usually about the same within a few FPS of the 2600x gaming performance, it does not seem to have nearly as good of multitasking or application support though, which is what the OP clearly outlined as being of importance.

The 9400F, which is basically the same as the 9400 and 8400, but without the soldered TIM or integrated graphics, falls behind in Cinebench, Handbrake, Blender and many other non-gaming benchmarks. While the 9400F does well gaming, and is certainly an option, with it's stronger single core performance, for a system that will clearly be used for heavy multitasking, it's multithreaded performance is not nearly as good as the 2600x on both individual synthetic and real world benchmarks or overall. I can find those for you and link to each of those, but this seems much easier anyhow.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-9400F-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/3397vs3235

Reactions: DMAN999
Not to mention the 3000 series are tentatively supposed to be VERY competitively priced, so if you are going to spend that much, at least it would be for something that at least loosely is rumored to have not only additional cores per dollar but increase IPC that is hopefully at least on par with Kaby lake. The newer boards are also supposed to have PCI 4.0, which would be a nice thing to have for upcoming products as well.

Then again, there's always something better around the corner, so if you NEED it now, I wouldn't wait just for the new tech. For the drop in prices, perhaps.

InvalidError

Titan
Then again, there's always something better around the corner, so if you NEED it now, I wouldn't wait just for the new tech. For the drop in prices, perhaps.
Both the new stuff and very likely price drops are just around the corner. In many foreign markets though, it may take a very long time for new stuff to become available at reasonable prices (OP wrote that the 2600X is still the equivalent of $270 where he lives), so affordable Ryzen 2600-2700 are far more likely to happen in the near-future than 3000-series anywhere near MSRP. I doubt Ryzen 3000 will be a viable option.

OP's options are either go with the $100 cheaper i5-9400/9400F or wait for price drops on the Ryzen 2600/2600X elsewhere around the globe (or even just current regular retail pricing since the 2600X can be had for $180 in the USA) to make their way to his market.