[SOLVED] Ryzen5 5600x Temperature problem

Jan 21, 2021
Hello. I know that the problem is rolled, I have read a lot, but I do not know what to do in this situation.

I have a Ryzen 5600x on the AM4 Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite motherboard.

Everything is in a relatively small case - Corsair Carbide 175R Glass RGB Case.

The processor is cooled by the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 (one of the better rated).

The problem is that the processor without stress works at a temperature of 45-55 degrees (this is acceptable), but in games it immediately jumps to 80-85 degrees and stays in this range (I have never seen it reach 90, the max I have observed is 87).

After turning off the game, it drops down rapidly, and in a few seconds it can drop by 20 degrees.

Theoretically, AMD says that high temperatures for this processor are ok and with boost, it will always work in the upper limits.

However, I am worried that they did something wrong in the store (paste, fastening, etc.).

The case has 3 fans throw away air (one on the back and 2 on the top), the processor cooling is on the front, so it takes cool air from the outside.

The computer is under the desk, so warm air is actually collecting in the upper part, but the RTX 3070 card works at a load of 60-70 degrees max, so the case is cooled well.

Do you think these CPU temperatures (80-85 during stress) are ok, or is it better to take it back to the store to have it checked? The computer is 2 weeks old, so they shouldn't be doing the problem.

It works great, but this processor heats up incredibly in games, and the fans on the proscesor's cooling run at max.

I will be grateful for your opinions.

Solution

The processor is cooled by the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 (one of the better rated).
What software are you using to report out temperature? I'd suggest HWInfo and look at the averaging readout. The temperature spikes are an effect of Ryzen's aggressive boosting and aren't as important as the average temperature for determining it's true thermal state.

And, unfortunately, that case looks to be similar to those that restricts the airflow into the front of the case. It's only too common and this sort of case is a favorite for Steve at Gamer's Nexus to pick on. So even though your radiator is front mounted it can't draw as much cool air as...
Hello. I know that the problem is rolled, I have read a lot, but I do not know what to do in this situation.

I have a Ryzen 5600x on the AM4 Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite motherboard.

The problem is that the processor without stress works at a temperature of 45-55 degrees (this is acceptable), but in games it immediately jumps to 80-85 degrees and stays in this range (I have never seen it reach 90, the max I have observed is 87).

After turning off the game, it drops down rapidly, and in a few seconds it can drop by 20 degrees.

Theoretically, AMD says that high temperatures for this processor are ok and with boost, it will always work in the upper limits.

However, I am worried that they did something wrong in the store (paste, fastening, etc.).

The case has 3 fans throw away air (one on the back and 2 on the top), the processor cooling is on the front, so it takes cool air from the outside.

The computer is under the desk, so warm air is actually collecting in the upper part, but the RTX 3070 card works at a load of 60-70 degrees max, so the case is cooled well.

Do you think these CPU temperatures (80-85 during stress) are ok, or is it better to take it back to the store to have it checked? The computer is 2 weeks old, so they shouldn't be doing the problem.

It works great, but this processor heats up incredibly in games, and the fans on the procersor's cooling run at max.

I will be grateful for your opinions.
It's true that Zen3 processors are allowed higher temps before boost gets limited but that doesn't mean temps should be high.
Something must be wrong with your cooler because same one keeps my 3700x at or under 70c no matte what. How is it mounted ?

Jan 21, 2021
It's true that Zen3 processors are allowed higher temps before boost gets limited but that doesn't mean temps should be high.
Something must be wrong with your cooler because same one keeps my 3700x at or under 70c no matte what. How is it mounted ?
The cooler is on the front of the case and draws the air from the outside. When I opened the case and checked with it open, the temperature only dropped 2-3 degrees on processor. It makes almost no difference. On Monday, I'll take the computer to the store to put the cooling again and I let you know if that changed anything.

What software are you using to report out temperature? I'd suggest HWInfo and look at the averaging readout. The temperature spikes are an effect of Ryzen's aggressive boosting and aren't as important as the average temperature for determining it's true thermal state.

And, unfortunately, that case looks to be similar to those that restricts the airflow into the front of the case. It's only too common and this sort of case is a favorite for Steve at Gamer's Nexus to pick on. So even though your radiator is front mounted it can't draw as much cool air as it could...and needs to. A simple enough test for it is remove the front shroud and see if it helps.

Reactions: Queskel and kurdtnz
Solution
Jan 21, 2021

And, unfortunately, that case looks to be similar to those that restricts the airflow into the front of the case. It's only too common and this sort of case is a favorite for Steve at Gamer's Nexus to pick on. So even though your radiator is front mounted it can't draw as much cool air as it could...and needs to. A simple enough test for it is remove the front shroud and see if it helps.
A good idea. I have not tried without the front panel. I will check and I will let you know. Thank you.

Jan 21, 2021

You were right. Removing the front panel gave about 8-10 degrees less during stress. The case is small, so in the store they mounted the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 in two parts. Heatsink inside the case, fans outside, under the front panel (the metal wall with holes in the case is between the heat sink and the fans). The fans only have a few millimeters of space. Air only enters the top and bottom, so the fans are straight up on a closed panel. It is crazy that they did not inform me that the case is too small ... Now I can only buy a new case or rebuild the panel so that it can be opened. Thanks for the help.

...Now I can only buy a new case or rebuild the panel so that it can be opened. Thanks for the help.

Also consider alternate mounting of radiator and/or fans...like putting both inside the case. That might mean relocating or removing parts and possibly crowding the interior but it should give some breathing room to draw air. I relocated and then, when I went all-SSD, removed the drive cage on my CoolerMaster case to fit a 240mm AIO and its fans the same way. It's also a fairly tight mATX case, so it might be possible with yours too.

And also look at the Corsair web-site to see if there's a 'mesh-front' option to that case. If so, you might could order a mesh front replacement panel from them. I'd consider a case mod that does something similar. It may be difficult but cutting out the front and fitting some mesh material (cloth, plastic or metal if you find it) might just work out. Or maybe just functional and decorative fan grills, if you can find them.

And the best is returning it if you've the option. Many stores have pretty good return policies within a time period (Microcenter does, for instance.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Queskel
Jan 27, 2021
its not the aio or the cpu its the case it has limited airflow if you cant afford a new case id suggest cutting some of the side vents out on the front panel also make sire the fans are not butted up against the front panel again restricts airflow