Question Ryzen7 5700G .... Can it serve as a video edit system for short format projects (Pr + Ae) ?

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Im planning to build a system with a 5700G on b550M motherboard. This will be only for working with Premiere Pro and After Effects.
My projects are all in 4K but worked on a 2.5K timeline with output to 2.5k. My projects are all only 3-4 mins in timeline duration.
Plz keep in note my expectations....ive been working with the lowest rung i3 and have managed with that....i get smooth timeline scrubs as long as i keep 1/8 preview res (which aint that bad when the preview window is quarter of your 1080p screen). I can scrub like mad with color grades and masks with blur effects etc slapped onto the 40 so clips on the timeline, smooth fluid response AND the system has (touch wood) NEVER crashed EVEN ONCE since installation LOL. Ae will very very very rarely freeze the preview, but no crash...you can still save etc and restart, i guess the underpowered HD530 iGPU cant handle triple monitor and the Ae preview.

The rest of the rig already exists as below and this will only be a mobo+processor upgrade. I have to work without a DGPU for now till i can throw in a GTX 2060 or something.

MY EXISTING RIG…
i3 6100. > This is what is getting changed.
64gb 3200mhz CL16 Ram.
No DGPU.
250gb NVME for OS n Progs.
250gb NVME as scratch disk.
1TB SSD for Footage.
HDD for Renders.
HDD for Backups.
650w Corsair Bronze certified PSU.
Triple Monitor (1080px3).

SO WHY DO I WANT TO UPGRADE THEN ?
Renders take approx 1:20 in time to complete (a 2 min video takes 40mins to an hour to render). Some effects politely say then cant run on this Piece Of Crap iGPU and then do nothing. When drawing masks or color grading....the vertices/handles/sliders get sluggish and drag thereby making it difficult to sometimes fine tune.

Now theres mixed opinions with folks saying the 5700G wont even be able to handle the timeline, even like what my i3 could. Others say it will be at least 5 times better in experience compared to my i3. Some say the 5700G doesnt even have internal graphics hardware video decoders (Ive read on some reviews and seen a chart itself that it does have internal hardware acceleration of h264... h265.... VP9..... WMV......etc.... decode and encode etc except AV1). They say only INTEL can give smooth performance due to Quick Sync. Yet i read elsewhere to deactivate QS as it screws up the video quality and to rely on CPU based encoding only.

Can someone here who has used this processor tell me for real wether the 5700G can handle and give me a better experience than my old system. I can afford to pick up the i7 12700 too....but triple the wattage !!! Runs hotter....so will need a spl cooler, will probably demand a higher PSU than my already new Corsair 650w. And i have to run my rig on solar panels from my roof in the day time, incoming is about 700w yes but then other home appliances ?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
To answer the question posted in your thread's title, sure you can, but please be wary that the tax execution time will not be favorable, depending on the scale of your project. I'd advise on getting a discrete GPU in your build to get that project moving along faster.

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU in question?

If what you do pays for a roof over your head and puts food on your table, you build the system the right way and reduce production time.

Reactions: stonehedge99

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
I will definitely get a dGPU in the future but cant put down funds for that immediately.

CV650 Bronze certified 650w PSU. It is brand new....maybe ran 100 hours since install.

Its not my main income.....just hoping as a side supplementary. I can wait for renders....not time pressured at all.....only smoothness is of importance during the design process. Bec my clients if at all pay $100-200 for a project, so even they wait....theres never some time pressure.

2nd option is 12700 INTEL. but its 3 times the rated power than this. Also i have heard it will run effeciently only with Win 11 (bec it needs thread director to fully take advantage of its cores) and i have to work with Win 10 only as im used to that and it plays well with Pr and Ae. I have to run my system in the day time from solar panels on my roof which might generate 500-700w cant predict.

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
A simplified way to look at the situtation is to see where im coming from and perceive my expectations.....from a measly i3 and ive even been ok with that for all these days.....not so bad......so you can tell what my expectations are....im just expecting the 5700G to be better not worse.

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Is anyone here using a Ryzen 7 5700G with the inbuilt iGPU to edit videos on Premiere Pro.
4K DSLM footage on 1440p timelines. Im looking at using the build for only short 3-4 minute films.

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
To answer the question posted in your thread's title, sure you can, but please be wary that the tax execution time will not be favorable, depending on the scale of your project. I'd advise on getting a discrete GPU in your build to get that project moving along faster.

Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU in question?

If what you do pays for a roof over your head and puts food on your table, you build the system the right way and reduce production time.
You asked me what my usage scenario is ....and i replied with my usage condition and no reply or feedback on that. You said it depends what i wanna do with it.

They say only INTEL can give smooth performance due to Quick Sync. Yet i read elsewhere to deactivate QS as it screws up the video quality and to rely on CPU based encoding only.
You can have QS enabled to make the scrubbing smooth or whatever else it does to help you, and have it disabled for the final render, it's different settings for different things.
but triple the wattage !!! Runs hotter....so will need a spl cooler, will probably demand a higher PSU than my already new Corsair 650w.
Rated power level doesn't mean much, have you run HWinfo while editing on your i3? Does it pull the full amount of rated power?
For the rendering part you can also limit the power draw to whatever maximum you feel ok with.
Higher clocks achieved by higher power have extremely little effect on Premiere and after effects so there is no need to use full power.
(mce makes all cores run as fast as they can)
pic_disp.php

stonehedge99

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Hi Squirrel,

Ive been reading for about 6 months on the 5700G and had my eye on it. Bec it the highest end processor from the Ryzen family with an iGPU in it. And its also very modest in power draw. The rest are all without iGPU.

Im sure like you also confirm.....the 5700G must be at least 4 times better than my prehistoric i3 6100, as an all round machine. My only fear is that it should go limp on Pr and Ae because it 'doesnt understand the language of video (codec)' so power has nothing to do with understanding a codec. Ive heard of these guys who built a system for $5000 with extreme good hardware and it wouldnt edit a 1080p video without stuttering on the timeline. And then there are cases like me....this i3 6100 handles 4K and plays it back smoothly on 1/4 res preview even without a proxy. But once you add a few effects/filters on top of clips etc a proxy is needed and the proxy workflow is then smooth at 1/4 res with effects applied. So what makes my system do what his $5000 pc cant....its just that the right codec handling. Its not that my pc is more powerful than his. Metaphorically speaking, its like a rocketship with no PILOT, what use is it ? A car with a DRIVER is much more powerful at that moment comparatively.

So raw power wise i know the 5700G will eat my i3 for breakfast. Just hoping it handles video to at least allow me to set preview at 1/2 instead of 1/4. One step up in preview res. And little snappier when dragging color grade sliders etc (my i3 occasionally slows down and the sliders become sluggish, it does the job, but some sliders get sluggish during a color grade making it difficult to adjust accurately bec it the sliders get lag). Thats all these small improvements will make me a happy cat. For this im investing approx 450usd equivalent in my currency to upgrade just the mobo and processor, so its not unreasonable to ensure and check that i will get at least this meager improvement after putting in that money. Hence my posts and checking with people who can help. im worried that after putting in this money.....if it performs not an ounce better or maybe turns out to be WORSE. Then ill be damned :).

If you are worried about power consumption, the i5-12500 is 63w less than the i7-12700 with the same IGP only 50MHz slower. That's still 117w compared to the 65w 5700G, but if it turns out you have to add a 185w RTX 2060 to be happy then have you saved any power?