Dec 9, 2020
Hey guys, just built a new RYZN gaming pc. I am waiting to get a 3070 so my old R9 290 GPU is holding me over. Upon booting up the new PC, I tried playing warzone and I was getting 30fps on all low settings with a basic 1080p monitor. At first, I thought my GPU was just so old it was bottlenecking my CPU but that doesn't make sense because I was getting 70 fps with the same settings and GPU in my old I5 Intel Build.

Last night I went ahead and swapped out the stock RYZN Wraith cooler for an old Corsair Hydro H75. After booting, i checked temps in HW Monitor and my CPU was running at 55C at idle and 85C under load in COD (Was 40C idle and 60C with stock cooler)

THE DIFFERENCE is that Warzone ran at 100FPS with ZERO changes except the watercooler. I put the stock cooler back on and the temps went back to normal but the FPS dropped back to 30fps.

What is going on? My system is somehow not getting full CPU performance under the stock cooler. Which makes no sense because the Wraith cooler should be more than enough. My roommate has the same CPU and uses the stock cooler with zero fps issues.

(side note. I am 100% cleaning and applying the thermal paste correctly, built 5 PCS and never had an issue)

System specs:
RYZN 7 3700x
MSI b550 Gaming Plus Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3600mhz 16gb
SSD
Radeon R9 290
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Corsair H750I PSU

Dec 9, 2020
At work, can try that later. Is there a reason i should have the AMD b450 drivers specifically? I have the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus MB and the Ryzn 7 3700x. I went to the MSI website and flashed to the latest bios two days ago.