Reputable
May 4, 2017
Hey guys

I just bought a Ryzen 2600x and a MSI Ventus OC RTX 2060

PSU: Corsair 550w
Ram: Corsair Vengence LP 8GBx2 3000mhz
MB: MSI B450 pro vdh Latest BIOS
Cabinet: Corsair Carbide Spec 01

I tried playing some games(AC:Origins, BF1,Witcher 3, R6Seige) and The Temperatures are getting really high
My Ryzen(no OC, only Boost) is showing 90°C in RTSS and Ryzen master after few minutes of gameplay

Also my MSI Ventus OC 2060 is showing high temps of around 76-80°C

why is this happeneing? is the Wraith spire not enough?

swagvastava

Reputable
May 4, 2017
I have 3 120mm fans in my case which are running also the CPU fan is running

I Couldn't find those settings in BIOS but I did make All the Fans 100% in MSI command Center

But even after this while playing Mass Effect Andromeda on Ultra, the temperatures are
CPU:85-88°C
GPU:77-81°C

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I am just troubleshooting, but make sure the front fan/s suck air in to the case and the rear fan/s blow air out. Fans set up wrong would cause this. Try using Cpuid Hwmonitor, it shows you all kinds of temps for your motherboard, cpu, gpu, memory, along with voltages and fan speeds. See if it tells you anything different or new. Also what is the ambient room temperature of the room the pc is in? https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Reactions: swagvastava

swagvastava

Reputable
May 4, 2017
Hey I checked my Fan setup and they are as you said they should be

Also I checked in HWmonitor and the CPU package shows the temps as i told you(jumps instantly to 80+°C and stays at 96°C) but the motherboard shows temps that are normal i.e. idle 55°C and under stress with boost 75°C

Also I just bought a NZXT Kraken M22 as it was on sale and The CPU is actually reporting higher temps of 96°C constant under heavy load or while gaming but the thermal cutoff is set at 95°C and still the cpu keeps chugging on and the pc doesn't shut down

Also I used my hand so see how hot it's getting at the radiator or around the cpu and i must say it doesn't feel like 96°C

I'm confused right now, is cpu sensor bad? but that should mean the pc should still shutdown at the cutoff temp?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
In the bios, under OC tweaker or something along those lines, are you set to read motherboard temps, or cpu temps? You can also find the settings you need for water cooler fan/pump controls for the cpu fan headers in that menu, as well as cpu fan speed controls. Have another look and see if you can't find it.

swagvastava

Reputable
May 4, 2017
In the bios, under OC tweaker or something along those lines, are you set to read motherboard temps, or cpu temps? You can also find the settings you need for water cooler fan/pump controls for the cpu fan headers in that menu, as well as cpu fan speed controls. Have another look and see if you can't find it.
Hey
I checked my BIOS and I didn't find any settings like that

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
It's possible the motherboard isn't recording temps properly, or it could be a problem with the cpu. If you can, try and get a replacement motherboard and see if the problem doesn't go away.

But if you still have issues after testing a different board/cpu, it's a problem with your setup. Either some settings or hardware configuration or both is causing the problem. Make sure you have good airflow in the case, and that the tower is sitting in an open space where it can breathe and not in a desk cabinet or something like that.

There should almost certainly be options to control the cpu fan as well as other temperature settings in your bios. Go through each tab and read the settings one by one if you have to.

I have 3 120mm fans in my case which are running also the CPU fan is running

I Couldn't find those settings in BIOS but I did make All the Fans 100% in MSI command Center

But even after this while playing Mass Effect Andromeda on Ultra, the temperatures are
CPU:85-88°C
GPU:77-81°C
is that on stock cooler ? Ryzens keep pushing the cpu to it limits, so that temp is quite normal,
you either have very bad airflow inside the case OR used very poor thermal paste or that cooler just cannot keep up.
I would suggest checking if you have this kind of config:
View: http://i.imgur.com/7qxge.jpg
REMEMBER MORE INS THAN OUTS FOR LESS DUST INSIDE.

if so, replace the paste on CPU to something 6+ W/mk
a very nice list:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html
pick cheapest you can find from them for ~10'C less by default.
if that still is not enough, you just need a bigger cooler.

swagvastava

Reputable
May 4, 2017
is that on stock cooler ? Ryzens keep pushing the cpu to it limits, so that temp is quite normal,
you either have very bad airflow inside the case OR used very poor thermal paste or that cooler just cannot keep up.
I would suggest checking if you have this kind of config:
View: View: http://i.imgur.com/7qxge.jpg

REMEMBER MORE INS THAN OUTS FOR LESS DUST INSIDE.

if so, replace the paste on CPU to something 6+ W/mk
a very nice list:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html
pick cheapest you can find from them for ~10'C less by default.
if that still is not enough, you just need a bigger cooler.

I have Two fans in the front intake
One on top intake the NZXT Kraken M22 as exhaust at back

and the CPU reached 105'C in Battlefield 1 and shuts down the PC

I do think might be my cabinet thats causing this but im not sure

No one claimed the factory cooler would win any 'Outstanding Factor Cooler' awards, but, perhaps the core voltage is a tad too high? Additionally, are not Ryzen temps reported +13C above what they actually are, to keep fans ramped up adequately? (I think Ryzen master reports the true temp?)

Open the case and see if that helps....if a bunch of 150 degree air escapes, maybe the GPU is venting air inside the case,, and, overall intake/exhaust flow is inadequate....

Hi

Sorry but I need to ask this: I suppose that the protective sticker that cover the cpu plate of the Kraken and/or Wratih stock cooler have been removed and that you cleanned the old thermal paste when swapping from stock to the AIO right ?

One thing you really should do: when monitoring temps avoid runing more than 1 monitoring tool at the same time. Pick one, and stick with it. MSI afterburner is nice cause it shows the OSD, but I would try to close everything and use only hwinfo 64 portable -> sensors only (its similar to hwmonitor but I believe is more up to date and accurate). hwinfo will keep track of MAX temps/fan speed for your CPU and GPU, so theres no need to alt+tab. (Theres a "Clear Min/Max/Current values" which you should hit before launching the game).

Some questions:

1. If you go into the BIOS and you sit there for 10 mins doing nothing: What are the temp readings for the CPU ?, Whats the CPU core voltage? (Temps should be 10 ~ 15°C degrees above your room temp).

2. Did you set any custom fan curve for your MSI GPU? I mean 71°C is not bad but fans reported speed is only around 35%, maybe a bit more speed could help lower GPU temps.

3. Are the pump screws tighten hard enough ?

4. Do you have XFR enable on BIOS?, if so , you could try doing all testing again with it OFF.

5. Is your PC runing a clean install of Windows ? Are all your chipset/cpu drivers up to date?

But then again, If I were in your place I will try to keep only 1 monitoring tool up, go play the game for atleast 15 mins, logout and go see what the MAX temps and fan speed are.

A CPU at about 30%~50% utilization shouldnt be at 90ish° C

Reactions: swagvastava
It is curios that in the monitoring it shows 2 different temperatures for the cpu at the same time. One shows a temp of 84.5 and the other 95. Another set shows cpu running at 73 and the package node at 89. There is a reporting conflict in there somewhere.

Exactly, thats why Im wondering what does BIOS temp/vcore looks like. And also if it could be an old Windows installation.

swagvastava

Reputable
May 4, 2017
Hi Guys

I really appreciate all the help and am very thankful

MY RTX 2060 had a problem where the HDMI slot got shot so I had to send it for replacement So im using my 1050ti for the time being and Temp problems still persisted

The original temp problem was due to the Wraith Spire cooler being unable to sufficiently cool down my CPU in my setup because of which i bought the NZXT Kraken M22
But It didn't yield any results because of user error :(
I smudged the thermal paste and it wasn't evenly applied

I borrowed my friend's Cooler Master MasterGel Maker , dropped a nice amount on top of my CPU and now the temps that are being reported are much better:

BF1 reported a CPU temp of max 70'C, fluctuating below it mostly
Andromeda was same at around 65-66'C
AC Origins was 56'C-60'C

These temps are with the 2600x boosting to 4Ghz and 4.1Ghz, mostly maxing out at 4Ghz

CPU Idle temp stays around 43-48'C

I also tried the Fix posted by this guy : https://community.amd.com/thread/231798
and it might've helped or not I cannot tell :)

I do understand that the GPU is a bottleneck here and the temps might be different with my RTX once I get it back

oG7J8v.png
higXtY.png

I hope these temps are good xD

Reactions: RodroX