Question Rzyen 2700x cpu stuttering + memory issue

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I recently upgraded my PC to an X470 board, a Ryzen 2700x and 16 gb of DDR4. After starting the pc up I noticed the ram was running at 2133 mhz with primary timings of 15-15-15-36. I applied the XMP profile, the machine power cycled twice, then booted up at the rated 3000 mhz. It was quite unstable in the bios, it eventually crashed. I updated the bios and the same thing still happened.

I gave up with the ram and let it default to the 2133mhz and booted into windows. An obnoxious thing that's been happening is games will "hitch" and stutter every few seconds while I'm in game. Both the CPU and GPU temps are fine, all the CPU cores are at 3.9-4 ghz; windows power mode is also set to balanced. It seems certain games exhibit the stuttering worse than other, one game specifically appears to have no stuttering whatsoever.

Regarding my ram issue, today two new sticks of RAM came, a pair of 3000 mhz ones and 3200 mhz ones. Both just ended up at 2133 mhz and the exact same timings of 15-15-15-36. I even removed the CMOS battery to reset it, the exact same things happened. It won't even apply the profile when I increment the memory clock speed up ONE from 2133MHZ. I don't understand how to resolve these issues, help is appreciated.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
You did a full reinstall of Windows after the PC upgrade, correct?

You are trying only matched pairs of RAM, correct?

You should have 2 matched(from same package) modules of RAM in slots A2 and B2.
Yes, the sticks are in slots 2 and 4. I assume the sticks of ram I buy in kits labelled as "dual" channel and "16gb- 8GBX2". I'm fairly certain they're both matching pairs lol, unless the manufacturer messed up on all 3 of the pairs. Windows is the same copy my intel system was on, but I uninstalled the proper drivers before upgrading. I'm hesitant to reinstall windows as others who have issues similar to mine report no improvement when reinstalling windows (regarding the stuttering in game). An interesting thing to note is Apex legends, PUBG and fortnite exhibit the stuttering issues yet Rainbow Six Siege has no stuttering issues whatsoever.