[SOLVED] Rzyen 3600 Constant Rebooting

S1W

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Hello,

I recently upgraded my PC (beginning of May). I replaced my old MOBO, CPU, and RAM with the following:
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Ryzen 3600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

My storage is a brand new 1 TB SSD (where OS is installed), 5 year old 250 GB SSD for extra storage, and < 1 year old 3 TB HDD for extra storage.

Everything seemed to install fine and run really well for a few weeks. But I started to notice random restarts. They were pretty infrequent at first, sometimes when playing a game, or watching a youtube video, or reading an email. They were always the same, the screen would go black and then the computer would reboot. No error message or BSOD. The windows event viewer never gave any details, it only ever said Event ID 6008. In the last week things have gotten progressively worse. Last Saturday it would do it after about 30 minutes regardless of what was going on with the computer. Today, it will black screen restart after logging in and doing anything other than just staring at it.

Here is what I have done:
  • Yesterday I tested all the PSU connections with a multimeter. All connections (24 pin, 12V CPU pins, and PCIe pins) were within tolerances.
  • Yesterday I re-seated everything, re-applied thermal paste to the CPU, and checked all the case stand-offs, everything was good
  • Today I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool, no errors found
  • Today I ran a 9 hour AIDA64 stress test. CPU was ~50C the whole time, mobo was ~30C. No restarts during the stress test
  • After the stress test I tried to open Steam, immediately black screen restarted
  • After that I flashed the latest BIOS (from motherboard manufacturer), computer black screen crashed after watching a youtube video for a few moments
  • After that I updated to the latest chipset (from AMD website). Restarted computer and got a message about windows not being able to load properly, asked me to repair or restart. I opted to restart and it seemed to boot up fine. I've gotten this message a few more times since. No idea why. Also, updating the chipset didn't fix the black screen restarts.
  • I tried turning off PBO, no change
  • I tried turning off core performance boost, no change
  • I tried changing the power settings which was a challenge because I had to do it before the computer would restart. I managed to change it twice, trying both Ryzen balanced and ryzen high performance plans, no change
  • I switched the GPU to the other PCIe slot, no change. It rebooted at login screen maybe three or four times. Now it finally appears to be stable at the login screen
  • Update, after switching the GPU from one PCIe slot to the other, half the desktop background is now gone, but the rest of the windows desktop is there and the screen seems to function fine otherwise, just half the desktop image is now missing. Still black screen restarts shortly after doing anything.
  • I have a new PSU coming Wednesday I'll try then, but the way the problem initially was infrequent and became more frequent has me thinking this might be a driver issue, maybe power management related, but i'll defer to the experts here.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? Could it be a bad MOBO? If so, I wonder why it worked fine for several weeks. Is there any additional information I can provide to help diagnose the issue?

Last edited:
Solution
I would reset the CMOS either with the jumper on the motherboard or taking the battery out method. If the new PSU doesn't fix the problem, try just with one stick of ram installed. Not much else to do other than RMA components, CPU, motherboard would be on top of the list.
I would reset the CMOS either with the jumper on the motherboard or taking the battery out method. If the new PSU doesn't fix the problem, try just with one stick of ram installed. Not much else to do other than RMA components, CPU, motherboard would be on top of the list.

Solution

S1W

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020

Thanks - I reset the CMOS. Problem persists.

I tried switching my GPUs, made sure to clean up drivers beforehand. Problem still occurs with a different video card.

I guess I will try RAM next although I've already re-seated them and made sure they're in properly and the windows diagnostic tool found no errors.

S1W

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
I realized my CPU debug light was flashing every time my computer black screen restarted. Can't believe I didn't realize it sooner. I am RMA'Ing my Ryzen 3600. Hopefully the next one is a good chip.

Reactions: Flayed