[s] Choked over one meal

I just choked over a blue dragon corpse, and was NOT satiated when
starting. I did not save and restore the game during the meal (I've
heard that can cause this). I was interrupted several times while
eating, but kept at it until I died.

Is this a bug, or is Slash'EM really evil enough to change one of the
fundamental instadeath-safety laws of NetHack?

> I was interrupted several times while eating, but kept at it until I
died.

My guess is that, though you were not satiated when you began eating
the corpse, you *became* satiated during the course of the meal. Then,
when you got interrupted, you stopped eating. When you chose to resume
eating the corpse, you were choosing to eat while satiated.

P. S. All due respect, et. al., but please put this:

in the title of posts regarding Slash'em. It's just a polite custom
'round here..

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> . . . when you start eating *anything* while
> not satiated, you may *always* finish that meal without dying, even
if
> you're interrupted while already satiated.
>
> It's true in Vanilla, and I very much doubt that it wouldn't be true
in
> Slash'em...

Unfortunately, it isn't true in Slash'EM. I just reproduced it again
in wizmode:

1) use fruit juice to get to Satiated
2) ^G a blue dragon and a couple of newts
3) kill the dragon and stand on its corpse
4) now we're not satiated anymore, so quaff one more fruit juice
5) rest until the moment "Satiated" goes away . . . then start chowing
down on dragon
6) get interrupted many times by the newts, but keep at it
7) die

Boudewijn Waijers asserted:

> He *did* put an mark in his subject line. It's your own faulty
> newsreader (Google) that is removing it when you reply.

> Please get your facts straight before accusing others of something.
It's
> just a polite custom 'round here...

Ouch.

I don't do a lot of usenet posting. I usually lurk. I had heard
Google Groups had its problems, but I didn't realize it was _that_
broken. Guess I'll find a free usenet server.

Anyway, I did, indeed, speak without having my facts straight. The
original poster has my aplogies for that, as well as for being wrong
about the satiation thing.

Mister Waijers, you're a grumpy old man lately. :-/

--
Jonathan D. Carter
Sum quod eris, fui quod sis

On 2005-03-09, Borkabrak Beakerbach <borkabrak@gmail.com> wrote:
> P. S. All due respect, et. al., but please put this:
>
> in the title of posts regarding Slash'em. It's just a polite custom
> 'round here..

Um- not to sound mean, but the OP DID put in the subject line--
YOU took it out...

--
Andrew D. Hilton
UPenn Phd Student

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, micromoog wrote:

> I just choked over a blue dragon corpse, and was NOT satiated when
> starting. I did not save and restore the game during the meal (I've
> heard that can cause this). I was interrupted several times while
> eating, but kept at it until I died.
>
> Is this a bug, or is Slash'EM really evil enough to change one of the
> fundamental instadeath-safety laws of NetHack?

According to spoilers, blue dragon corpses have a nutritional value of
1500 (both in vanilla and slash'em). You are satiated if your nutrition is
1000 or more and shock to death if it's 2000 or more.

So you could have a nutrition between 500 and 999, not be satiated and yet
shock on a dragon corpse. The fact that you were interrupted many time
probalby masked the usual message about having hard time to get it down.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

begin quoting Andrew D. Hilton <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu>:
>On 2005-03-09, Borkabrak Beakerbach <borkabrak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>P. S. All due respect, et. al., but please put this:
>>in the title of posts regarding Slash'em. It's just a polite custom
>>'round here..
>Um- not to sound mean, but the OP DID put in the subject line--
>YOU took it out...

More accurately, Google Groups took it out. Another reason why it's unfit
for purpose.

[If you are stuck with DejaGoogle, check your subject line; it takes it
out before editing, at least, so you can reinsert it.]
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Wednesday, March.

Borkabrak Beakerbach wrote:

>> I was interrupted several times while eating, but kept at it until I
>> died.

> My guess is that, though you were not satiated when you began eating
> the corpse, you *became* satiated during the course of the meal.
> Then, when you got interrupted, you stopped eating. When you chose
> to resume eating the corpse, you were choosing to eat while satiated.

That shouldn't kill you, at least not in vanilla NetHack, but I doubt
Slash'em has changed this.

In vanilla, when you start eating something when not satiated, you will
never die when you finish the meal without eating anything else in
between. Even if you are satiated when you get interrupted, it is
*still* *always* safe to finish your meal.

Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Jym wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, micromoog wrote:

>> I just choked over a blue dragon corpse, and was NOT satiated when
>> starting. I did not save and restore the game during the meal (I've
>> heard that can cause this). I was interrupted several times while
>> eating, but kept at it until I died.

> So you could have a nutrition between 500 and 999, not be satiated
> and yet shock on a dragon corpse. The fact that you were interrupted
> many time probalby masked the usual message about having hard time to
> get it down.

That doesn't change the fact that when you start eating *anything* while

"Andrew D. Hilton" <adhilton@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

>Um- not to sound mean, but the OP DID put in the subject line--
>YOU took it out...

Google did.

Is it possible for the users of google.com groups to use an unbroken
local version of Google? http://www.google.co.uk/grphp, for example, uses
the old format at least to display messages.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Borkabrak Beakerbach wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers asserted:

>> Please get your facts straight before accusing others of something.
>> It's just a polite custom 'round here...

> Mister Waijers, you're a grumpy old man lately. :-/

Au contraire: I am a big, fat, jolly, middle-aged man.

The latter noted to avoid confusion with another big, fat, jolly, old
man, who isn't around this time of the year... Sorry, that is another
thread.

--

james wrote:

> It's the "keeping at it" part that's confusing me. You never
> "have a hard time getting it all down?"
>
> What is the behavior WITHOUT the newts? The interruption is a
> confounding variable.

Yes, I did "have a hard time getting it all down" many times. In
vanilla, though, that's not a problem: you can always finish any meal
you start when not satiated; even though you may get the "hard time"
message, you will NOT choke.

Basically, the rule (in vanilla) means that as long as you're not
satiated, you can always safely eat that dragon to gain that intrinsic
(which requires eating the entire thing). So you'd want to keep
eating, even though you were getting the "hard time" message, since you
know it's perfectly safe and you'll get a needed intrinsic.

In Slash'EM, it's not safe.

Eva Myers wrote:
> "micromoog" <micromoog@cox.net> writes:
>
> > james wrote:
> > >
> > > It's the "keeping at it" part that's confusing me. You never
> > > "have a hard time getting it all down?"
> > >
> > > What is the behavior WITHOUT the newts? The interruption is a
> > > confounding variable.
> >

> > Yes, I did "have a hard time getting it all down" many times. In
> > vanilla, though, that's not a problem: you can always finish any
meal
> > you start when not satiated; even though you may get the "hard
time"
> > message, you will NOT choke.
>
> But did you ever get "Stop eating (y/n)?" At least in vanilla,
you'll
> never get that message if you weren't satiated when you started
> eating.
> Eva.

Nope, never did get the (y/n). I got "You're having a hard time
getting it all down", followed by "You stop eating.", followed by some
newt behavior, numerous times. Later, I was just getting "You stop
eating" [newt behavior], without the "hard time" message. Then I died.
In addition, I just discovered that being very fast seems to be a
critical factor.

I've gone ahead and logged this now with the Slash'EM folks, as bug
1160101.

James

In article <1110393569.795865.124270@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
micromoog <micromoog@cox.net> wrote:

>6) get interrupted many times by the newts, but keep at it

It's the "keeping at it" part that's confusing me. You never
"have a hard time getting it all down?"

What is the behavior WITHOUT the newts? The interruption is a
confounding variable.

"micromoog" <micromoog@cox.net> writes:

> james wrote:
> >
> > It's the "keeping at it" part that's confusing me. You never
> > "have a hard time getting it all down?"
> >
> > What is the behavior WITHOUT the newts? The interruption is a
> > confounding variable.
>

> Yes, I did "have a hard time getting it all down" many times. In
> vanilla, though, that's not a problem: you can always finish any meal
> you start when not satiated; even though you may get the "hard time"
> message, you will NOT choke.

But did you ever get "Stop eating (y/n)?" At least in vanilla, you'll
never get that message if you weren't satiated when you started
eating.
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

James

In article <1110499649.435065.203330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
micromoog <micromoog@cox.net> wrote:

>Nope, never did get the (y/n). I got "You're having a hard time
>getting it all down", followed by "You stop eating."

You stop eating, and it starts again for you?

Or,

You stop eating, and YOU start eating again?

The (y/n) prompt doesn't seem to be the issue here.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:17:32 GMT, also sprach
fishbowl@conservatory.com (james):

>In article <1110499649.435065.203330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>micromoog <micromoog@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Nope, never did get the (y/n). I got "You're having a hard time
>>getting it all down", followed by "You stop eating."
>
>You stop eating, and it starts again for you?

It won't automatically resume eating once it's interrupted you.

>Or,
>
>You stop eating, and YOU start eating again?
>

>The (y/n) prompt doesn't seem to be the issue here.

No, it isn't. The issue is that in vanilla, you can always safely eat
any one item (even a huge chunk of meat) as long as you are not
satieted to begin with. Even if you are interrupted, you can resume
eating (provided you haven't eaten anything else in between) and
finish your meal without choking to death. In SlashEM, it will
apparently quite happily kill you if you are interrupted and then
resume eating. Therefore, the same amount of food you could get down
safely if you did it in one sitting will choke you if you are
interrupted.

--
Keiran