[s] Gypsy farming

OK, so I did it again.

O pick up tourists (for free magic mapping to find fountain) and played
the reroll-weasel until I get a wish from an early fountain (on DL2).

Ask for 3 cursed scrolls of genocide (got only 1) and started my gypsy
farming. I think the beginning is the hard part (before you have
sufficient money, you have to play many games of 99 to build up your
credit). Well, I manage it (did a bit of savescumming here, too, but not
much for the first wish, a few more for the second).

First gypsy (named gypsy5) finally gave me a wish. I went for 5000$ (to
speed up the credit building process). Second gypsy, credit building was
fast enough but getting that wish was really long. Got wheel of fortune 2
times, so I asked for blessed whisperfeet (speed boots + stealth +
luckstone).

Also got a few aquamarines, so I will probably reverse genocide unicorns
soon to max out my luck and build credit with three monte instead of 99.

Well, it's more boring than I first tought. The worse part being playing
99 with low bet (1$) in order to have most of the very bad cards (0, 9,
11, 13) or bad cards (7, 10) gone without having the card you want (19)
also gone (and that damn Infinity seems to be always in your first hand
:-( ).

Well, anyway, the things seems doable and a more careful/patient player
could have done it without savescumming (I mainly did that to start
reading fortune before all the very bad cards are drawn, but if you're
more patient you can play a few more 99 games).

I will probably keep that one to work a bit on it from time to time. I'll
just love to have a level 1 tourist with full ascension kit and 3 digits
HPs (and maybe even Pow).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym wrote:
> Well, anyway, [gypy farming] seems doable

Nice one- this post reminds me of the "pudding-farming-bot" post a
while back: Showing up an obvious exploit.

Hmm... gypsy-farming bot? An automated system could certainly help you
through the card games.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

(please keep the tag in the message subject)

> Jym wrote:
> > Well, anyway, [gypy farming] seems doable
>
> Nice one- this post reminds me of the "pudding-farming-bot" post a
> while back: Showing up an obvious exploit.
>
> Hmm... gypsy-farming bot? An automated system could certainly help you
> through the card games.

I'm not sure. Or rather, it depend at what point.
For building up credit with monte, this should be doable, but that ask
that you have maxed out luck (should probably have it for the second
generation of gypsies).
For the pre-wish 99 games (removing the bad cards from the deck), this
looks doable too because you don't care to win or loose at this point, you
just want to forfeit game as soon as either the good card or all the bad
card is gone.
This pre-wish routine could also be used to make the gypsy dissapear (by
going for a second wish which don't happen), this is the part of the
farming 'm not doing because I really found that to annoying. Maybe when
the leve will be full of gypsies and I'll have to crawl through them to
find a fresh one I'll go for that (alternatively, I'll wish for a blessed
figurine of a solar and let him clean the room before loosing him a level
below (maybe something smaller than a solar, something that respect
Elbereth should be safer if it goes wild after that)).

For the first generation credit building, when you cannot predict monte's
issue and you need to do it the hard way by playing 99, I don't think a bo
could help. The fact that I'm winning more than 1/2 game (around 2/3 or
3/4) seems to show that the IA for that game is not very good. Either it's
been voluntary and the bot could have a better IA (and build credit) or
it's not and the bot will only win 1/2 time making it useless.

Well, anyway, I'm far too lazy to write a bot (or even to learn how to
write one), so I'll go on with tha wishful game without bot, leaving that
part of the job for someone else :)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Jym wrote:

> OK, so I did it again.
>
> O pick up tourists (for free magic mapping to find fountain) and played
> the reroll-weasel until I get a wish from an early fountain (on DL2).
>
> Ask for 3 cursed scrolls of genocide (got only 1) and started my gypsy
> farming. I think the beginning is the hard part (before you have
> sufficient money, you have to play many games of 99 to build up your
> credit). Well, I manage it (did a bit of savescumming here, too, but not
> much for the first wish, a few more for the second).

First generation is gone, second generation is on its way.

A cosmetic question: should I call that gypsy farming or gypsy dancing?
Both names seem convenient (the farm side being the fact that you have
several generations of gypsies and get something from everyone, the
dancing part come from the fact that you *really* need to dance around
them to find the good one to #chat with) and I can't decide myself... Any
ideas ?

first generation gave me:
5000$, whisperfeet (speed boots acting as a luckstone, cloak of MR (to
safely brush with Death), blessed figurine of a mind flayer (able to deals
with foocubus and probably erinys too without harming gypsies, seems
unable to deal with horned devil) and 2 cursed scrolls of genocide for the
next generation.

> Well, it's more boring than I first tought. The worse part being playing
> 99 with low bet (1$) in order to have most of the very bad cards (0, 9,
> 11, 13) or bad cards (7, 10) gone without having the card you want (19)
> also gone (and that damn Infinity seems to be always in your first hand
> :-( ).

Once things are started, this part becomes easier. I currently only have
to take care of 11 and 0 (but this one is not too harmfull). Other bad
cards are either not a problem or a sufficiently small problem to be dealt
with (praying for punishment currently, but should soon wish for potions
of gain energy and start #youpoly in nymph instead).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Jym wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Jym wrote:
>
> > OK, so I did it again.
> >
> > I pick up tourists (for free magic mapping to find fountain) and played
> > the reroll-weasel until I get a wish from an early fountain (on DL2).

> First generation is gone, second generation is on its way.

> > Well, it's more boring than I first tought. The worse part being playing
> > 99 with low bet (1$) in order to have most of the very bad cards (0, 9,
> > 11, 13) or bad cards (7, 10) gone without having the card you want (19)
> > also gone (and that damn Infinity seems to be always in your first hand
> > :-( ).

I maxed out my luck during the second generation (reverse geno aligned
unicorn on DL2). But building up credit with monte instead of ninety-nine
seems both less fun (at least, playing ninety-nine require a bit of
attention) and a bit slower (especially since I'm savescumming and so
won't loose any gold, but even without that, it would just need a bit more
cautious play (not bet all your money on your first game with a gypsy) and
probably a few more wishes for gold from time to time).

First generation was done at turn 1100, second is done at turn 1300. Still
level 1 but AC4, MR, very fast, maxed out luck, not good luck time out,
stealthy, good stats (STR 17, DEX 11, CON 17, INT 16, WIS 5, CHA 15) (WIS
loses due to fortune reading, next wish will probably be potions of
restore ability), did not ask for HPs (12, starting potions) of Pow (12,
succesful foocubus encounter) yet but should start soon (I'll feel better
with twice as many HPs... and Pow will allow me to get ride of punishment
without praying).

Not only the thing is a clear abuse but it's also insanely fast do to
(well only amazingly fast if I played carrefully and did not savescum)
since each #chatting with gypsy only takes one turn. Oh, yes, being very
fast is definitely needed as this allow you to have free moves and move
close to the right gypsy before she can get away, thus allowing an average
of one #chat per turn, I think.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
>A cosmetic question: should I call that gypsy farming or gypsy dancing?

The wish->SoGeno->gypsy cycle is farming; the gypsy->wish cycle is
dancing.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Brieday, March.