[S] level with no exits

Tried playing a barbarian lycanthrope. It was kinda neat, but mostly a
pain, the uncontrollable transformations I mean. I'm liking Slashem's
"techniques" that it gives to each class, gives you a neat toy to play with
before getting magic items.

I died of starvation because level 2 of the dungeon had no exits, I could
only go so far and there was no way to get to the stairs down or the shop
whose activity I kept hearing. There was a long deadend passage into the
rock which I assumed was the way, but I searched there for hundreds of turns
and found nothing. I also searched every single other square for hundreds
of turns, with prayer and the occasional rabbit keeping me alive, but found
nothing.

Was this a game screw-up or is there some Slashem secret that I'm not
grasping?

---
Warpwizard

In news:<eyB4e.10572$Ln.472950@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Warpwizard
<warpwizard@gmail.com> says...
> Tried playing a barbarian lycanthrope. It was kinda neat, but mostly a
> pain, the uncontrollable transformations I mean. I'm liking Slashem's
> "techniques" that it gives to each class, gives you a neat toy to play with
> before getting magic items.
>
> I died of starvation because level 2 of the dungeon had no exits, I could
> only go so far and there was no way to get to the stairs down or the shop
> whose activity I kept hearing. There was a long deadend passage into the
> rock which I assumed was the way, but I searched there for hundreds of turns
> and found nothing. I also searched every single other square for hundreds
> of turns, with prayer and the occasional rabbit keeping me alive, but found
> nothing.

Seems strange, never happened to me in Slashem (or Nethack), there has
always been a secret door. Note that real dead-end passages seem much
more common with Slashem's map generation than Nethack's. In Nethack
there seems to be almost always a secret door with seemingly dead-end
corridors, in Slashem this is often not the case.
Dying of starvation because of these circumstances seems unnecessary.
Surely you could have kept yourself alive by praying when starting to
faint, and going on until you got some pickaxe, wand of digging, magic
mapping, etc..?
Did you search *all* walls *and* corridor spaces several times?

> Was this a game screw-up or is there some Slashem secret that I'm not
> grasping?

I've played many hundred Slashem games, and it does not seem like there
is some 'slashem secret' that is in effect here, except what I said
above about differences in map generation.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Bayl n jvmneq pna hfr n zntvp juvfgyr.

Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> Warpwizard says...

>> I died of starvation because level 2 of the dungeon had no exits, I
>> could only go so far and there was no way to get to the stairs down
>> or the shop whose activity I kept hearing. [...] I also searched
>> every single other square for hundreds of turns, with prayer and the
>> occasional rabbit keeping me alive, but found nothing.

> Dying of starvation because of these circumstances seems unnecessary.
> Surely you could have kept yourself alive by praying when starting to
> faint, and going on until you got some pickaxe, wand of digging, magic
> mapping, etc..?
> Did you search *all* walls *and* corridor spaces several times?

When this happens, I usually start kicking the walls out of
frustration... :)

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Kristoffer Björkman wrote:
> > Warpwizard says...
>
> >> I died of starvation because level 2 of the dungeon had no exits,

> > Did you search *all* walls *and* corridor spaces several times?
>
> When this happens, I usually start kicking the walls out of
> frustration... :)

In-game, or out <g>?

Richard